Here for the party!

GG9

FNG
Hello all,

Been lurking for a few months and figured it was time to get involved in the forum. I am 32 and just now getting into hunting but I am a big fly fisherman that loves to hike and backpack. I live in California (I know....) and have a few friends that are very big into hunting and I was officially bitten by the bug. Thanks to all the reviews and experience on this forum I have made some buy once cry once purchases to get me started in backpack style hunting. I am very excited to learn and look forward to spending more time here learning all I can. I have been spending time looking over maps and searching for the best places for me to cut my teeth. I am of course open to any advice that anyone is willing to share.

To start it out, I am currently reading Dwight Schuh's, Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer and I am looking for the next book to start on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome to the Rok!! Sounds like you have a good foundation and are off to a strong start! My recommendation for your next read would be “Hunting Big Mule Deer: How to Take the Best Buck of Your Life” by Robby Denning. It’s available on Amazon.

dazz397

FNG
Welcome. I'm the same. Just started hunting this year. Went to wyoming and got my first deer. Hunted so cal but after hiking all day didnt even see a deer. Heard so cal deer hunting is pretty tough.

OP
G

GG9

FNG
Welcome. I'm the same. Just started hunting this year. Went to wyoming and got my first deer. Hunted so cal but after hiking all day didnt even see a deer. Heard so cal deer hunting is pretty tough.
Right on man! I just got an invite from a friend to go to Wyoming next year for antelope. Pretty stoked about that but I still want to get up in the California high country.