Here we go again in MT...

Erict

WKR
"All of FWP’s proposed hunting regulations are undergoing review as part of the agency’s regular, biennial season-setting process, and are subject to commission approval. If the commission approves the proposals, there will be a 30-day public comment opportunity."

Assuming it is approved by the commission, I'd be interested to see how much the public actually contributes.

S.Clancy

WKR
"All of FWP’s proposed hunting regulations are undergoing review as part of the agency’s regular, biennial season-setting process, and are subject to commission approval. If the commission approves the proposals, there will be a 30-day public comment opportunity."

Assuming it is approved by the commission, I'd be interested to see how much the public actually contributes.
There was a lot of contribution this last legislative session. That's really the only reason a lot of the bills got dropped.

cgasner1

WKR
Pretty sure that public is still mad the even tried to do that last go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR

Don't worry the public input that has been brought before the current commision means jack shit to them. The majority of them will side with the rich and those who own propety. After hearing only a single person in favor of an issue and many against the same issue, they went ahead and passed it anyway. The commission is a product of the Governor in which the residents elected, Montana residents are seeing what they voted for. They better get used to it cause I don't see him not getting a second term.

bsnedeker

WKR
Don't worry the public input that has been brought before the current commision means jack shit to them. The majority of them will side with the rich and those who own propety. After hearing only a single person in favor of an issue and many against the same issue, they went ahead and passed it anyway. The commission is a product of the Governor in which the residents elected, Montana residents are seeing what they voted for. They better get used to it cause I don't see him not getting a second term.
This is correct......sigh. Almost no chance they won't go forward with this regardless of the public sentiment. The money coming in from these landowners and outfitters to fund the campaigns of the politicians that control FWP far outweighs the pushback they are going to get from the relatively small number of passionate hunters compared to the overall population that will generally pull the Red lever in every election regardless.

NDGuy

WKR
money coming in from these landowners and outfitters
Man wasn't it just a year ago when the Outfitters were bitching they can't make a living because they can't get consistent clients and need guaranteed tags? Sure seems to me they like to buy politicians in MT with all that $ they don't have.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a FNG and kind of a dummy, but I'd like to give informed comment and I'm trying to make sense of this. Is this right? For 6 of the 14 the proposal is to go from LE to general. Then for 8 of the 14 the proposal is to keep the LE, cut the numbers in half, and make them valid on public only, then make the general valid for either sex on private. And part of the deal is that statute requires that no more than 10% of LE draws go to NR?

So the way this will play out is on all 14 private will have way more tags since they can outfit on a general and not a LE. On the first 6 public will be a free for all, since anyone can hunt them on a general. On the 8, public opportunity will be cut in half for some reason?

This will reduce public opportunity, increase opportunity for outfitted hunters. This FWP commission is stacked with Outfitters, Big Ranch Owners, and Hunting TV personalities. Real representative of the common Montana hunter. They are kids in a candy store and unrelenting on trying to stack this in favor of outfitters and against public land hunters.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
This is Gianforte and his cronies trying to let outfitters and out of staters have their way with our best elk units. And I don't want to hear that this is a Republican/Democrat issue, because you can be damn sure Tim Fox wouldn't have proposed this if he had won the nomination. Worsech is basically Gianforte's stool pigeon, and this is corrupt wildlife management, pure and simple.

If you're a Montanan, please call and write your commissioner. Here's the contact info:

How about making wilife crop damage payments contingent upon enrollment in block management...and not that Type 2 BS. No payouts unless the ranches are actively trying to mitigate the problem.

Also, the 'earn a bull' concept is a good one. IIRC, WV does this in a couple counties where overpopulation is a real problem. A guy can't shoot a second buck unless he shoots a doe first.

Northpark

WKR
that sounds like a great system

for outfitters/landowners selling tags- no thanks, Colorado can keep their ranching for wildlife
All I did was offer a suggestion. I took advantage of the program when I lived there and enjoyed hunting private land without paying and I always filled my tags. So for me as a member of the public I had a good experience with it and so did others I know who took advantage. And with hunters on the ranches it let animals moving. I took a lot of elk on public land adjacent to those ranches that had been pushed off by people who had drawn the ranch tags. The public tags are valid during the same time as the regular unit tags and the ranches tags are only valid during other times of the year when the regular seasons are closed.

If the whole objective is to eliminate the private land owners ability to profit off of selling tags then you’re correct this system does not work.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the whole objective is to eliminate the private land owners ability to profit off of selling tags then you’re correct this system does not work.

we've been fighting for 30+ years to not allow the sale of big licenses by private individuals- that's commercialization in it's purest form; we'll kindly pass on that

Erict

WKR
Full information on the meeting with specific agenda topics is posted, including how to comment during the meeting via Zoom (must pre-register). Click HERE to go direct to the webpage.

Some interesting things if you read enough of it. An "alternate" general deer/elk season is an option, the coversheet stating "Because of warmer weather trends, there has been some advocacy to shift the five-week general elk and deer seasons at least one week later...."

Man wasn't it just a year ago when the Outfitters were bitching they can't make a living because they can't get consistent clients and need guaranteed tags? Sure seems to me they like to buy politicians in MT with all that $ they don't have.

The rich land owners got this done. They then sell access to the outfitters. Doubt the outfitters have the coin to get these changes made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I am a non resident who likes to hunt elk in Montana, I have shot a lot of bulls in the past, but at this stage in my hunting career I am a meat hunter who is as happy harvesting a cow as a bull.

With all the cow elk available for the taking I wish they would set it up so non residents could get cow tags on a consistent basis.