Hermisilla Mexico safety?

BJP

FNG
Never hunted mexico but an outfitter we hunted with has 2 muley openings , has anyone hunted sonora recently, outfitter says its safe but I'm having second thoughts. Thanks

def90

WKR
Should be safe if you have an outfitter taking care of everything and I am assuming you are also lodging on their property? Are they taking care of transportation?

A bit further west but I drove from Sonoyta to Puerto Penasco a year and a half ago, no problem.

buckpro

FNG
I went for the first time in January and it marked my fathers 5th trip. Unbelievable hunt, no problems whatsoever. Was taken from airport to camp, never felt unsafe for 1 minute. Never heard of any issues either, just use common sense.

archp625

WKR
Sometime when you are bored watch the Jim Shockey episode where he went to Mexico. After you watch that I'm guessing you will want to hunt North of the border. I'm hunting in Texas just north of the border and that was enough for me. Never ran into any issues but when the ranch manger says if you see anyone out there just remember that you are the one being hunted if they see you.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. I drive down to San Carlos a few times a year and knows couple guides down there. Listen to your guide and don't do anything that you wouldn't do at home.

OP
BJP

BJP

FNG
Thanks for the info, we would be picked up at the airport and hunt about an hour away from hermisilla, guides would be with us the whole time .

TBarron

WKR
I went down there for mule deer hunt last December, but the hunting was absolutely terrible. I’d say that overall I felt pretty safe. I’d be more worried about shady outfitters running rip off scams than the drug cartel etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arminho

FNG
Sometime when you are bored watch the Jim Shockey episode where he went to Mexico. After you watch that I'm guessing you will want to hunt North of the border. I'm hunting in Texas just north of the border and that was enough for me. Never ran into any issues but when the ranch manger says if you see anyone out there just remember that you are the one being hunted if they see you.
I hunt on the north side of the Rio Grande in West Texas and we have some traffic through the property. Almost all of it is at night, and my cameras have captured some good action. The Border Patrol guys I talked to said pretty much the opposite. They said those guys do not want to be seen or heard. Most of the time they know where the hunters and campers are because it's just open terrain and you can see for miles. With that being said, I'm always paranoid.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I’m headed to Hermasillo in January as well. I have never heard of a single incident regarding hunter being harassed, killed, etc.

We leased land in Mexico for Whitetail along time ago for about 10 years. We did have a few issues over the years and we ended up cashing in after the cartels started warring with each other. The border has a whole different set of problems.

Make sure you fly into Hermasillo from a US city vs flying into Mexico City then to Hermasillo. Mexico City customs has a history of giving hunters a hard time with their gun permits.

You'll be fine until your not, then there isn't much anyone can do. You have no rights in Mexico, there is no I'll call my lawyer etc. Just something to think about

This right here. I love going to Rocky Point, the whole Mexican culture and would love to hunt down there. But I won't anymore. There is zero a outfitter or lawyer can do for you if things go south.

KHNC

WKR
What if the guides secretly work for the Cartel? Do Americans still fetch a huge ransom?

FLAK

WKR
It will be safe, until it isnt.

We were in Deming, NM earlier this year. Went down to the border and had some pizza and asked if crossing over into Palomas was safe? Was assured it was OK. Everything was fine.
Had a Coke at a bar with my 15 y/o son who thought that was the most amazing thing of the trip. He bought himself a T-shirt as a souveneir and wears it like a Tuxedo.
Got back home and googled Palomas. Would not have crossed over with my family if I had known.

Everything is fine until it isnt. You just never know.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Flying into Hermasillo and driving to a desert ranch with the outfitter picking you up is completely different than crossing over into a Mexican border town in a vehicle.

Reactions: MJB

SDHNTR

WKR
Hermisilla? Please don’t be “that guy” if/when you go down there.

Hermosillo, on the other hand, is a city in Sonora, MX. With a reputable outfitter, you’ll be fine.