Hernia surgery needed

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve had a hernia above my navel for the past 6-7 years. It’s finally gotten bigger and I think I’m going to need surgery. Has anyone ever had hernia surgery? I’m planning a hunt this fall and am wondering if I should go ahead and get the procedure done ASAP in hopes that it’ll heal by then or should I try to wait until after. Will I still be able to backpack and haul meat out post hernia surgery in the future? Feeling pretty discouraged, any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the surgery ASAP. I had 2 hernia operations as a child, they were 1 year apart. Back then (0ver 40 years) it was a 6 month recuperation timeframe. It is a month or less in most cases now.

I also just had a ganglion cyst removed from my left middle finger at the palm of my hand. I had zero pain and almost all the swelling is gone. I get the stitches removed Thursday of this coming week. I took zero pain meds of any type. My point is that modern medicine has come very far and these procedures are now very refined and as non invasive as they can get.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Get the surgery ASAP. I had 2 hernia operations as a child, they were 1 year apart. Back then (0ver 40 years) it was a 6 month recuperation timeframe. It is a month or less in most cases now.

I also just had a ganglion cyst removed from my left middle finger at the palm of my hand. I had zero pain and almost all the swelling is gone. I get the stitches removed Thursday of this coming week. I took zero pain meds of any type. My point is that modern medicine has come very far and these procedures are now very refined and as non invasive as they can get.

Thanks for the advice.

That is a pretty straightforward repair in that area. It is the Anguinal and lower ones that can be a bitch. My buddy is a bricklayer and was back to work in a couple of weeks with a repair in your region. That said if they can scope it the recovery will be even shorter. Don't wait...they only get worse.

I had a double inguinal hernia last year. Felt like I had fish hooks in my gut for the first couple days whenever I moved. Was hiking a week later and hiking with a weighted pack 2 weeks after the surgery. Get it done ASAP, the risks are serious. The recovery should be short especially for one in that area.

Poser

WKR
I had surgery back in 2005. I believe I was back in the gym inside of 3-4 weeks. The modern surgeries are outpatient and relatively efficient. If you e been going this long without, id say get it ASAP and you’ll be back 100% by mid July.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all so much for the helpful information.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Funny this came up, I just had my second one and I’m 26. I got it handled as soon as I found out because I wanted to be healthy before August when my antelope season opens. Mine was also a lower area, don’t remember the name off the top of my head. Surgery took about an hour. Was really stiff and sore the first 4 days. I also refused to take the pain meds they gave me because the doctor told me it would help with healing if I could handle it. Sleeping was a bit rough until week two the only thing that was comfortable was a lazy boy. I had surgery on May 26th, was back to work on the 2nd that required me to travel to Kentucky. I’m on day 17 and getting stronger every day. I work with a engineering firm and I’m the on site superintendent, which requires me to walk around a lot all day. I was tired the first week back, but for the most part my energy is back. I was in pretty good shape before, but I’d also been doing about 5-8 miles with a 60 pound sand bag every couple days, which the doctor told me had nothing to do with it, just had bad genetics lol. As someone said above my only requirement is no lifting over 20 lbs for the first 4 weeks, but they tell me the walking is really good for me. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Had inguinal 25 years ago and it wasn’t fun but recovery was 2-3 weeks to get back to function and another 2-3 weeks before I stopped noticing it. Now a days, laparoscopic makes it much easier.

my brother had it done and he was 100% 2 weeks later.

I would say get it done ASAP. It isn’t going to fix itself and well only get worse as you age. If you get a constriction on you intestine you can get really sick. If your doctor is on the fence, dial up your description of the intensity and frequency of discomfort and tell them you are getting irregular with bowel movements due to the pain of taking a dump.

Similar to others, I’d say get it knocked out sooner rather than later. I had a double one done with the cuts near my groin (can’t remember which type that is). I felt like a rock star right after surgery and was able to walk out of the hospital, but by the middle of the first night I was like a helpless infant, I literally couldn’t roll over in bed. Was super sore and swollen for about a week and slept in a recliner for two weeks or so. Within about a month I was getting around well and after another couple months didn’t notice it much at all.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ve had a hernia above my navel for the past 6-7 years. It’s finally gotten bigger and I think I’m going to need surgery. Has anyone ever had hernia surgery? I’m planning a hunt this fall and am wondering if I should go ahead and get the procedure done ASAP in hopes that it’ll heal by then or should I try to wait until after. Will I still be able to backpack and haul meat out post hernia surgery in the future? Feeling pretty discouraged, any help is appreciated.

I had 3 repaired in January. 2 inguinal that we’re likely genetic (both my parents had the same) and on umbilical from a surgery I had a year prior (I had the flu at the same time of that surgery so it was self caused)

Mine was done laparoscopic mesh on all 3 at the same time. I was out for about 2 weeks. Felt 1000x better . After about 3 months my doc told me I couldnt mess them up if I tried .

...my doc told me I couldnt mess them up if I tried .

I have had 4 (inguinal) hernia repairs, 2 back in the 90s, and then both sides done in 2013 w/ laproscopic/mesh. My Doc in 2013 told me the same thing...

To the OP, I see you posted in June....I hope you got it done. I would not go into the backcountry with a hernia.....

Poser

WKR
I have had 4 (inguinal) hernia repairs, 2 back in the 90s, and then both sides done in 2013 w/ laproscopic/mesh. My Doc in 2013 told me the same thing...

To the OP, I see you posted in June....I hope you got it done. I would not go into the backcountry with a hernia.....

From what I’ve read, it’s actually really hard to mess them up after about 72 hours. They are uncomfortable for longer than than and you’ll definitely feel perceive their presence for a couple of months, but in terms of separating the tissue from the screen, it’s highly unusual.

OP
BenHankins

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
Update: I went ahead with the surgery, I had the procedure done July 30th. Mine was a umbilical hernia that I developed several years ago. I did not get the patch, just stitches. I do feel pretty good, I’ve been mainly doing cardio exercises. It does get irritated when I have a lengthy walk or when I pick something up over 30 pounds. Hopefully I will keep getting better. Sorry for delayed responses, it’s hard to see notifications on Tapatalk for me.

Bringing this thread back to life. Just visited surgeon yesterday and am set for bilateral inguinal hernia surgery on MLK day. I asked for a referral for this 15 months ago when living in So Cal. I moved to IL had a physical with my new doc five weeks ago and received the referral. Had the EKG, chest X-ray and blood work done in 20 minutes yesterday before leaving the hospital. Those 3 things would have likely been 3 different visits to hospital in my previous hospital and would have taken probably 3 weeks.
I was told my issues are also possibly genetic along with wear and tear. Had the right side inguinal repaired 40 years ago and and umbilical done about 7 years ago so not the first rodeo just hoping for good recovery.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just had inguinal x2 done 5 weeks ago.....can you say ole colorful😂 from butch cassidy and Sundance kid......super swollen for two weeks and lots of color doing well now....and is hereditary I found out..should be good to go🤙

skeptic

FNG
Thought I would contribute to this...

I had an inguinal hernia surgery that was done by robotic laproscopy. The surgery was 53 minutes long, and that part went pretty good I am told. Unbeknownst to me, I apparently have an extremely rare enzyme deficiency that doesn't fight off one of the drugs they use to basically temporarily paralyze your body so you can't twitch or move during surgery. This same drug also paralyzes your lung function. I had to be kept on a ventilator for an extended period of time while my body fought off the effects of that particular drug. I could have gone into respiratory failure had they not recognized I wasn't fighting off the effects of the meds. Scary stuff.

I am on day 10 of recovery and thankful to be here. My soreness gets less and less each day, and I never had to resort to the pain pills they prescribed, just managed it with Ibuprofen and Tylenol. Of course, this happened during archery season, but I didn't want to get myself in a jam in the backcountry if I chose not to have the surgery til this winter. Now I am anxious to get back to being active again.

For those that had this...How long before you were back to your normal activities? I can walk around fine, but I am admittedly nervous about starting a workout regimen again and straining myself in any way. I am trying to set realistic expectations, but was hoping I could get back to hiking with some weight on my back by rifle season, which starts in about a month. This would be right at about 6 weeks after surgery. My hernia was actually pretty small, so I am hoping I can be back to being active again soon. I never realized how much I relied on physical activity to keep my stress levels on the norm and how important it was to my general overall mental health. I know each case is different, it would be interesting to hear how some long term outcomes have fared.

yfarm

WKR
Was on a review panel 20 yrs ago that reviewed a perioperative death of a young woman, had surgery in a small rural hospital, anesthesia given by an advanced provider, woke her up, took out the tube and she had a respiratory arrest and died. Same thing you had but not recognized what the problem was until an anesthesiologist reviewed the chart. Be aware of the qualifications and expertise of the people you entrust your life with.