Heximine Fire-starter Attract Griz?

treillw

WKR
Looking at some Heximine firestarters to light my Ti hot tent stove.

Just heard that they smell like crazy and smell like shrimp. Might not be the best thing to have in the tent in griz country.

Dunno if griz eat at the seafood buffet often, but might not want to find out. 😂

Thoughts?

Elk97

WKR
Doesn't sound like a good idea. They'll sniff around anything that might be food. Heck, they even smell my sons game cameras, got some good shots of griz noses!

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Any alternatives that don't smell like the sushi bar?

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I got some winter blend pyro putty and I wasn't too terribly impressed with it.

rayporter

WKR
coghlans tabs

my favorite is army surplus trioxane by far- it stinks when burning but they all do,
i break a small piece off a bar to light a stove and it only takes a spark to light.
a whole bar with make coffee.

esbit
fire paste [ in a tube-like tooth paste]
there jellied alcohol packs, too

esbit and the coghlans tabs are hardest to light. and the esbit is most likely to have the odor. i usually get my coghlans tabs at wally world.

Last edited:

22lr

WKR
I have yet to try it, but am intrigued by Blackbeard fire starter.

I use it, its pretty good stuff! Super easy to light, just take care to have more material ready as it doesn't burn for too long. It does a decent job burning when wet as well.

Reactions: ODB

bpietila

FNG
+1 on the Vaseline soaked cotton balls. Cheap, easy, light readily, and burn hot. One downside is that they take up more space

rayporter

WKR
trioxane is hotter and lights easy but it is surplus and not made anymore. i have a good supply and buy it when i see it.

i have not been anywhere that might have it for a while. the last i got was some surplus on line store that had it cheap so i got a couple dozen boxes and they were stupid enough to ship it. their problem, not mine if they got busted.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'm having a heck of a time finding the Coghlans tablets anywhere or even online.

Nobody in town has any heximine tablets.

Everybody stocking up for covid like with the TP??

fmyth

WKR
If you are not backpacking in you might consider a simple bottle of isopropyl alcohol. 70% will do the job 90% will do it better.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use Instafire , Vaseline cotton balls or fatwood . It just depends . Fatwood is hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk