Hey y'all!

Nutterbuster here. Looking at going on a western hunt in the next couple of years I hope and just trying to figure it all out. I'd consider myself a pretty experienced eastern hunter. I managed to kill 10+ deer every year for the past 3 years and do good on hogs and ducks too. Moderately experienced hiker and backpacker so I feel like I can give elk a run for their money if I can luck out enough to get a tag in an area that has them. Big thing is trying to pick a spot, get in mountain shape, and pick up gear made for that kinda environment. I'm thoroughly ignorant as to do those things and look forward to learning a little.

nobody

WKR
Nutterbuster here. Looking at going on a western hunt in the next couple of years I hope and just trying to figure it all out. I'd consider myself a pretty experienced eastern hunter. I managed to kill 10+ deer every year for the past 3 years and do good on hogs and ducks too. Moderately experienced hiker and backpacker so I feel like I can give elk a run for their money if I can luck out enough to get a tag in an area that has them. Big thing is trying to pick a spot, get in mountain shape, and pick up gear made for that kinda environment. I'm thoroughly ignorant as to do those things and look forward to learning a little.
Welcome sir! You'll find lots of great info on this forum, and if you watch the classifieds you'll find lots of gear at great prices that'll help you be successful out west! Good to have you!

OP
N
dannnnng sounds like a fun place lol
Oh yeah. Tough hunting, but I can get away every weekend and a lot of weekdays. I live on a river and straight across from my backyard is 90k acres of public. 3 more big tracts all within 30 minutes. A resident all game and wma license gets you a lot of land to stomp, and I love stomping through the woods.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! Here are two little tidbits that may help you a tiny bit. Many eastern hunters struggle with one concept: elk are NOT big whitetails. There will most likely be a time when you want to revert to hunting elk like you hunt whitetails. resist that urge.

also remember this; the mountains are BIG country. It is easy to underestimate them.

OP
N
Welcome! Here are two little tidbits that may help you a tiny bit. Many eastern hunters struggle with one concept: elk are NOT big whitetails. There will most likely be a time when you want to revert to hunting elk like you hunt whitetails. resist that urge.

also remember this; the mountains are BIG country. It is easy to underestimate them.
Is it true that elk hunting is similar to turkey hunting? Lots of walking and looking and listening, and then either sitting tight if they're close and you think you can work them to you, or running to cut them off and setup?

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
kinda I guess. But different too. There is a steep learning curve. Game densities are not as high in the west, so that is a big wake up call right away. You may not see an elk for days.

Welcome from Ga. I’m not far from the Ga/Bama line.
Sounds like we do the same kinda hunting.
The recent pig explosion has really extended my hunting season.