HH Rain gear

tracker12

WKR
I read that many guides in NF wear HH for there rain gear. What Model length do you usually see them in. They have so many choices had to determine what would be a good top.

HH Impertech, especially the bibs are excellent for riding a quad in the rain/mud, butchering a critter, walking in the swamps etc.

The more breathable gear like KUIU Chugach is more
Breathable and better in more open country.

colonel00

WKR
Yup, Impertech as everyone else has said. However, keep in mind that this is basically a rubber rain suit. It does not breathe. If you are stationary, you will be fine, if you are actively hunting in it, you might as well take it off because you will be just as wet inside as you will outside.

mcseal2

WKR
I agree on the Impertech 2 being the best but non breathable. I sometimes run the bibs working and then a Sitka Cloudburst jacket to let a little heat out.

When using the HH jacket I like the long one that goes over the top of hip waders.

If I am doing an active hunt I will leave the HH at home and use a FL SEAK or Sitka Cloudburst jacket and Kuiu Yukon or Chugach pants depending on how tough of raingear I want. I found all that on close-outs, sales, or forums and have way less than full retail price in them.

Mike 338

WKR
NF... North Forty?

HH Impertech is nice, rubberized and has some stretch. I can tell you from experience that it doesn't pack down very well when not in use, it's sorta heavy and if you hike hard in it, you'll wet/sweat it out from the inside. It's as waterproof as waterproofing gets though and the cost is very reasonable.

I'm trying the Sitka Gear down pour suit. and also the Cabela's rain gear. The Storm front Sitka gear is noisy, but durable. I sent it back. Too noisy for me. They say the quite outfits are not durable. They'll rip & tear on thickets. Guess it's a tradeoff.

Impertech 2 is completely waterproof, but you will sweat as its not breathable. I recommend carrying it and a lighter raingear set also.

Going to try the 3/4 length coat with hip boots for this years hunt, lots of venting at the core
They used to be available in camo at Barneys iirc ? but don't see the option now

Jimss

WKR
I would also agree that HH is great for sitting around but would also bring along high quality, breathable raingear. Make sure the jackets have pitzips and a hood!!!!

mcseal2

WKR
The HH is pretty loud. The Tundra Talk podcast I listened to today talked about a complete failure of top notch breathable rain gear though. I got by great last AK hunt with a FL SEAK jacket and either Kuiu Yukon pants or Simms G3 waders.

One fail I have experienced twice now on HH rain bibs is horseback hunting. I've worn 2 different pairs riding in the rain that have had the junction of all the seams between my balls and butt leak. It does not happen walking, but in a saddle the rain is funneled into that area and I have ended up soaked both times. Maybe a bigger issue on a horseback sheep hunt than moose, but worth mentioning. I would at a minimum Tenacious tape or silicon that area on both sides before ever trusting a pair again for saddle use. Walking it's never been a problem with either pair.

colonel00

WKR
Is the HH Impertech II quite ? I hear the durable rain gear is noisy. Quite rain gear rips on brush...

Quiet? No. It's a PVC or whatever coated material. But then again, if you are wearing it, it's probably raining and rain makes a bit of noise too. There are always compromises to be made. Breathable and quiet will wet out and fail at some point. Waterproof and non-breathable will make more noise and aren't good for movement.

colonel00

WKR
The HH is pretty loud. The Tundra Talk podcast I listened to today talked about a complete failure of top notch breathable rain gear though. I got by great last AK hunt with a FL SEAK jacket and either Kuiu Yukon pants or Simms G3 waders.

One fail I have experienced twice now on HH rain bibs is horseback hunting. I've worn 2 different pairs riding in the rain that have had the junction of all the seams between my balls and butt leak. It does not happen walking, but in a saddle the rain is funneled into that area and I have ended up soaked both times. Maybe a bigger issue on a horseback sheep hunt than moose, but worth mentioning. I would at a minimum Tenacious tape or silicon that area on both sides before ever trusting a pair again for saddle use. Walking it's never been a problem with either pair.

Now that is interesting. You'd think that any water outside on the saddle would be running off pretty quickly. I wonder if riding horseback put strain on those seams that caused them to fail. I haven't ridden in years but from what I remember, it put strain on my seams. :cautious:

mcseal2

WKR
It's very possible that's why they leak there. My ranch saddle has a high back and pretty good swells and is built to keep the rider in the lowest part of the seat. I like the way it fits and how it keeps me in place while my horse is turning on cattle or tracking one to rope, but it apparently makes a really good funnel also.