Hi From New Zealand

Hi team! Im Ryan, im a hunter from New Zealand and have lurked on this forum on and off over the years and thought its probably about time I signed up. I live in the South Island of New Zealand and im a dairy farmer, everyday we wake up and work here with a view of the mighty Southern Alps (im only a few miles down the road from the bottom of the alps) which doesnt do a lot for my concentration span as im often dreaming of time in the hills :)
I mainly hunt chamois in the alpine environment, although I do hunt Tahr on and off and we even have a few wild Red Deer here on our farm.
Im a rifle hunter and I have a thing for 270's, currently I have a Sako 85 Bavarian in 270win, a Sako 85 Finnlight in 270wsm that has been customised with a New Zealand made Ken Henderson carbon fibre stock, proof research carbon sendero barrel and Terminator T2 brake, this is my main lightweight alpine rifle, and I have also just had built a custom rifle on a rem700 action with carbon fibre stock, 26" kreiger 8 twist barrel and Terminator T2 brake, chambered in 27 Nosler, I set this rifle up to shoot the berger 170 EOL.
Most of my hunting is true backcountry walk-in type stuff above the tree line, have a few good animals to my name so far including a couple of chamois bucks over 10 inches and some good bull Tahr, funnily enough despite living in Canterbury, home of some of the best true wild Red Stags in New Zealand, I am yet to put a really big stag on the deck, although I dont target Red Deer except for venison. I look forward to being involved in your community here, I love gear and some of the best information on the web comes from here.
Any of you fellas that are looking to do Diy in New Zealand dont be strangers, feel free to message me for any advice, especially if youre looking at taking a Chamois buck. Cheers. Ryan

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Ryan. I'm sure many guys here have New Zealand as a bucket list destination. Simply beautiful rugged country .

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Glad that you finally came out of the lurk!
Welcome to the Rokslide club. Lots of great guys here and lots of great info.

I was in NZ on the North island hunting Red Deer and Fallow Deer four years ago. What a beautiful country you have down there. I live here in the US in the state of Vermont which is super green with lots of trees and rolling hills and when people ask me about NZ the only way that I can describe New Zealand to them is to say that it is like Vermont on steroids! Really would love to get back there some day and hunt Chamois and Tahr. I too spent many years milking cows here on our farm so I understand just how amazing it is to wake up and look at beautiful land. Fun to just be able to walk out the back door and go hunting but we only have whitetails and you guys have such a huge variety of animals.

Once again, welcome and be sure to join in the conversation.
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, Ryan! Your intro post inspired my own - I'll be moving to Dunedin, NZ in September from Seattle, Washington and Ekalaka, Montana with my wife and one-year-old. Thanks for the motivation to join and post!