Hi from NZ

Hunterw

FNG
Longtime lurker..this is a great community, forum is packed with awesome information! I enjoy hunting red deer and fallow on public land in the South island of NZ. Would love to get to the States one day for a hunt.

Cheers
Hunter

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
H

Hunterw

FNG
Thanks Eddie- appreciated!

Mlank

FNG
Welcome. I’d love to hear what your hunting “looks like” for red deer.

Rifle, bow, both? Long hikes? hunt from truck? Camping? Cabin? Etc…..

OP
H

Hunterw

FNG
Welcome. I’d love to hear what your hunting “looks like” for red deer.

Rifle, bow, both? Long hikes? hunt from truck? Camping? Cabin? Etc…..
Red deer hunts can be all of the above depending on area. North island has hills, South island has "big hills". bow hunting is gaining popularity here, but not something I'm into yet.

For me, and most hunters it is typically utilising the public walking tracks from a 4wd road end to gain access to the backcountry, and either fly camping or using one of backcountry huts that are dotted up and down the country. The hut network was created for the deer cullers and skin hunters from the 1950's onward, so some have seen better days and have lots of character. They are a great resource as you can pack lighter and travel further than normal.

There are still plenty of spots where day hunting from truck is ok, some also use jetboats and helicopters to get into the backcountry to save time and get to hard to reach spots. We also have recreational hunting areas designated where ballots are required year round, or just during the roar/rut. This helps protects deer herds of significance such as fallow, whitetail and wapiti/elk. Much of the public land country is just open with no ballots required, just a permit to hunt.

Hope this gives some insight!

Cheers
Hunter