Hi Mountain Salami Sausage Kit

Ben442

FNG
Picked up the Hi Mountain Home Sausage Making Kit (Original Salami Sausage) kit and was looking to try it out. Instructions said after smoking to simply hang in a cool dry place util there was a 25% reduction in weight. Are there specific temperature and humidity considerations or does the addition of the cure and citric acid make it simpler.

Anyone have experience with this?

The instructions are attached as well for reference of the process (following the smoking instructions).

Thanks in advanceSalami Instructions.jpg

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I just hung it at room temp in my kitchen and it came out great, I would say it was approx 70 degrees and very low humidity. I don't think its a big concern though

OP
Ben442

Ben442

FNG
I just hung it at room temp in my kitchen and it came out great, I would say it was approx 70 degrees and very low humidity. I don't think its a big concern though

Thanks for the response. Makes me feel better as quick search for salami making showed a specific drying process in terms of temp and humidity.

How long did you end up hanging it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response. Makes me feel better as quick search for salami making showed a specific drying process in terms of temp and humidity.

How long did you end up hanging it for?

I don't remember exactly. I wanna say it was like 5 days, but it was right around whatever the instructions said. It was like 3 years ago, so can't remember exactly.

OP
Ben442

Ben442

FNG
Please share the results, sounds interesting and may give it s try myself. Thanks

8dbc97b59844d2e14d1628e644643178.jpg

Flavor was good and it was a simple process to follow. Ours came out a little dry but that could probably be fixed easily by using more fat(kept ours pretty lean) Ended up taking about 7 days hanging at 60 degrees and 65% humidity.