Hi Mountain Snack Sticks

jmcd22

WKR
I made a batch of the Hi Mountain Snack Sticks last night and used exact measurements for the meat, seasonings and curing salt per the instructions. I let the batch cool before vacuum sealing and freezing but where my concern lies is that I apparently had no idea that the cure is used to prevent botulism...call it ignorance on my part but I have always thought of botulism as something that comes with canning things. Needless to say, I am a little worried about my snack sticks even though I followed the directions to a T and cooked them above 160*. Is the cure good enough to keep it at bay or should it be a real concern?

Azone

WKR
As long as you used an appropriate amount of cure and the fact that you took the internal temp to 160 you should be good to go.
Did you let your ground meat cure overnight or did you mix and stuff right away?
One thing to remember with smoked sticks/summer sausage and the like is, is that if you see any grayish brown color in the meat after smoking it is from the meat not being fully cured or not enough cure added into the meat and those pieces should be tossed out.

OP
J

jmcd22

WKR
As long as you used an appropriate amount of cure and the fact that you took the internal temp to 160 you should be good to go.
Did you let your ground meat cure overnight or did you mix and stuff right away?
One thing to remember with smoked sticks/summer sausage and the like is, is that if you see any grayish brown color in the meat after smoking it is from the meat not being fully cured or not enough cure added into the meat and those pieces should be tossed out.

I allowed to cure overnight and followed the directions to a T. I guess I just psyched myself out. I did have some pieces that were slightly brown in the middle of the stick and in the middle of the rack. I figured they were just slightly undercooked but tossed them to be safe. Glad to know that was the right choice. Thank you for the tips!

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
The snack sticks are good fresh, but do not hold up long in the freezer. I would recommend not storing them for too long. I have never worried about botulism. I just follow the instructions with the kit.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
You will be fine if you followed the directions. I have made several batches of them, usually around 25 pounds at a time. I let them cool, then vacuum seal and freeze. I have found packs that got lost in the freezer for a year. Opened them up and they were as good as fresh. I think vacuum sealing is the key if you want to store them.