Hi Stacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I amuse myself and fork with strangers just for my own personal entertainment. This morning I pull into a gas station in my Ram and this ole beat-up white truck with Texas plates pulls in behind me. Sometimes I forget this is what other drivers see when they’re behind me.

So there I am minding my own business, preparing to pump my gas and these two people (young couple in their early 30s or so) approach me. In my head I’m thinking, great…they’re gonna try and bum gas money from me with some BS sob story or jack my truck and rob me” so I adopt my usual F-U stance (you CCW guys understand right?). Lotsa people getting held up in gas stations now.

The guy, tall brown hair and kinda lanky says, “Nice truck…you hunt?”

“Yeah.” I reply, careful not to encourage him.

He reaches out his hand and says, “I’m ____?____” (I instantly forgot his name cuz I was on defense so I will just refer to him as Tex herein). I don’t shake his hand. Might be an act and a way to control my right arm. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Tex: “What do you guys hunt most here in California?”

Me: “Mostly deer, hogs & coyotes…I prefer to hunt outta state.”

Tex: “I’m kinda surprised to see a hunter here.”

Me: “Yeah, we’re unicorns alright.”

Tex: “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name, this is my girlfriend Stacy.” (Her name I remember cuz she was country hot…boots, tight jeans, tied off tee, long blonde hair that was kinda mussed up like she just got outta bed and was ready to jump back in.) Tex seems less likely to be a beggar or a threat so I relax a bit. I reach out and shake their hands.

Me: “Hi, I’m Trad Bowman, nice to me you. Where in Texas ya from?”

Tex: “Ft. Worth” he replies.

Me: “Nice area, better than Dallas. Dallas is a bit too cosmopolitan for my taste.”

Tex: “Yeah…that’s because too many Californians moved there.” We both laugh. I’m starting to like this guy. Then he says, “So you hunt using a bow?”

Me: “Most of the time, yeah. Sometimes a rifle but rarely.”

Tex: “Whaddaya shoot?”

Me: “Whaddaya mean? Animals?”

Tex: “No…what kinda bow do you shoot?”

Me: “My tank will be full before I get through that list.”

Tex: “Haha…cool. Okay, what’s the biggest animal you’ve shot with a bow?”

Me: “Bison.”

Stacy: “I’ve had bison, it’s amazing. How many pounds of meat did you get?” Stacy is starting to grow on me too…if they ask for gas money I might just give it to em.

Me: “511lbs on one bull, about 435 on another.”

Tex: “Dang…that’s a lot of meat, you must have a big freezer.” He laughs.

Me: “Got four…one’s filled with bison, one with moose, one with elk and another with hog meat.”

Stacy: “Holy cow! You’d fit right in where we live.”

Tex: “So what’re you hunting this year?”

Me: “Dunno till the tag results are in…hopefully antelope and bull elk.”

Stacy: “What do you do for work?”

Suddenly I feel like all this questioning is getting deep and my defenses go back up. Maybe they’re just inquisitive but I doubt it. Creativity clicks in.

Me: “I produce hunting videos…maybe you’ve seen em? Trad Bowman Outdoors…all spot & stalk for big game across the country.”

Tex & Stacy: “Really?!”

Me: “Beats working.”

Stacy: “We’re meeting a real live celebrity in California and he hunts tahboot.”

Tex: “I’m jealous, wish I could get paid for hunting…are you on youtube? Can I see your shows there?”

Me: “Yep. Use the search term THE MATADOR.”

Tex: “Is that cuz you kill only big bulls?” Laughs.

Me: “Nope…it’s what they’re standing in.” Tex has a funny look on his face trying to figure out what I just said.

Gas pump clicks, I pull the nozzle and say goodbye while they look at me with wonder in their eyes. Pretty sure they were Googling Trad Bowman when I drove away. I like the sound of it, Trad Bowman…a perfect alias for my next run to Vegas. LOL

Stacy? If you and Tex are reading this, ask yourself this question. What are Matadors standing on?

That's what our brief encounter was.

Last edited:
Lol. Next time take it easy on the Texans. We are polite and love talking to people that share our interests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man am I glad I don't live in California. Worried about people robbing you...constantly defensive.
I'm CCW but prefer not to take an aggressive stance and will always shake someone's hand.

I prefer to be an ambassador to our sport so I am always friendly when I have these interactions.

If two people came up to me around here in the Midwest at a gas station and said "nice truck you hunt"
We would have probably ended up eating lunch together and working out a hunt swap in the fall.

Bruce...you need to chill out.

And I don't think they were questioning you to find a chink in your armor...I think they were just trying to have a conversation with a fellow hunter...and that wonder in their eyes wasn't about youtube etc...they were probably wondering how they ran into the only hunter in California that is defensive cold and not wanting to share stories.

Also...I'm guessing you have never been to a bull fight because the sand in the ring is cleaned and smoothed out between each of the three matadors after the mules take the dead bull out. So they wont get your reference to B***Sh** because a matador never stands on it. Slipping on a pile of bull dung could get you killed...

wildcat33

WKR
When I moved out of california, I too was alarmed at first when people would strike up a conversation just to be friendly.

Scrappy

WKR
I'm a Texan that currently resides in Iowa. I lived in France for a year and a half way back when I was in the corps and thought I had met the rudest people in the world. That is until the wife and I moved to the quadcities area. If you smile and wave at these people they will stare and literally growl at you. The wife and I have been here for 10 years and we still go around trying to make people make eye contact with us. Just to see if they will speak or growl. So i guess a bunch of these folks must be from California to.

OP
Where's Bruce?
It sorta depends where you are when getting gas...not every gas station requires the same level of caution but there are areas where you better be ready. When you train to carry they teach you to be polite and be prepared to kill everyone you meet. The string of gas stations muggings almost always involves two individuals who block you in between the pump, them and your car so the F-U stance deters being placed in that position cuz you are not standing where you can't move. Cops understand the situation better than those without any SD training. Odds are those who are chiming in with negative comments have not had the pleasure of an armed confrontation....you are lucky. It changes you. And the more SD training you get (much of it situational awareness) the more you begin to see what Police see. You'd be amazed what you learn. Once taught to discern between the sheep and the wolves, you begin to realize how many human canines there are. Not paranoid but I am paying attention and most people aren't. So many potential victims stumbling around with their nose in the phone, clueless to what's going on around them. When you get older you'll become a target of the young punks...how you choose to deal with that is entirely up to you.

Watch this gas station video: https://abc7.com/news/vet-beaten-robbed-at-ie-gas-station;-2-sought/151061/

As for Tex & Stacy...we had our passing moment and I gotta new nickname outta it. It struck me as funny, that's all. Judge on judgy people.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I'm a Texan that currently resides in Iowa. I lived in France for a year and a half way back when I was in the corps and thought I had met the rudest people in the world. That is until the wife and I moved to the quadcities area. If you smile and wave at these people they will stare and literally growl at you. The wife and I have been here for 10 years and we still go around trying to make people make eye contact with us. Just to see if they will speak or growl. So i guess a bunch of these folks must be from California to.

I’ve found people to act like this in any big city in any state across the country. It is more of a city thing and rightfully so. Get to the Rural parts of most states and people tend to become more friendly unless they hate where your license plate is from.

Fact is people are only nice if they want to be no matter where you are.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I’ve found people to act like this in any big city in any state across the country. It is more of a city thing and rightfully so. Get to the Rural parts of most states and people tend to become more friendly unless they hate where your license plate is from.

Fact is people are only nice if they want to be no matter where you are.

Yep. I live in a small beach town...no worries near home but the closer I get to places like Compton, LA, Riverside, etc...that more magazines I carry. That old guy in the video linked above got lucky. Those guys had him cold...and his phone, and his keys and his home address. Coulda killed him, driven his car home, used the garage door opener to gain access to his house, attack his wife (probably too old for any kids) and stolen anything they wanted and nobody would have seen a thing. Home invasions happen. Trust me...getting isn't for p*ssies. Most people cannot imagine such things, much less prepare for them...until something happens. It changes you. I used to be much more casual.

Last edited:

SWOHTR

WKR
I get it. I tend to have that type of demeanor. I’m naturally skeptical of people.

Another thing that I don’t like is people who I don’t know walking behind me much closer than 20 feet. Some call it paranoid, but it’s really a product of my training.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Another thing that I don’t like is people who I don’t know walking behind me much closer than 20 feet. Some call it paranoid, but it’s really a product of my training.

People ask me quite often, if I'm the way I am because of the military. And I always reply......."No, I was military because of the the way I am".

Status
Not open for further replies.