Hi Stacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob5589

WKR
Being from Commiefornia, sadly I am just as cautious when strangers approach. Whether it be simply panhandling or other potential "threats," you seemingly need to be on guard all the time. When we started hunting out of state, it took some time to relax and realize there are lots of good folks just looking to say "hey." But yea, it sucks having to feel that way most of the time.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Yeah...once I forgot I had carbomask on and took a midday break to grab some lunch. People in the diner freaked out...face paint and camo...clearly I was planning a mass shooting. LOL
In other states they smile and ask "How's the hunt going?" California is a mess.

Shit id ask you what you did for work too if you said you had a freezer of moose and bison at the same time and mentioned another bison and big game from out of state.

ODB

WKR
Good stuff. I was in Gary, IN once in the way to Chicago. Guy at the bar started asking questions so I gave him an hour that I am an elephant hunter come to give a speech at the Field Museum (because all of them stop by the Applebee’s in Gary, right?) on elephant conservation. I had this guy and the bartender leaning in, lapping it up. Plenty of “gosh” and “you don’t say”s.

After I finished eating I paid and the guy said , “hey, what’s your name, I wanna look you up.”

I turned, shook his hand and said , “Selous. Frederick Courtney Selous.” And walked out the door.

Rob5589

WKR
Yeah...once I forgot I had carbomask on and took a midday break to grab some lunch. People in the diner freaked out...face paint and camo...clearly I was planning a mass shooting. LOL
In other states they smile and ask "How's the hunt going?" California is a mess.

Yep. We were in WY last year getting groceries and the female cashier asked how the hunting was going, about the bucks her and her husband had killed, where they were going for elk, etc.

Gobbler36

WKR
Yep. We were in WY last year getting groceries and the female cashier asked how the hunting was going, about the bucks her and her husband had killed, where they were going for elk, etc.
I don’t call that friendly I call that dumb... what hunter divulges that kinda information not ones that like to keep hunting there......geeez lol

Rob5589

WKR
I don’t call that friendly I call that dumb... what hunter divulges that kinda information not ones that like to keep hunting there......geeez lol

I hear ya, but she wasn't really divulging any info. Just that she and hub's had killed a couple bucks and an area they were looking at for elk. Plus, we were hunting ID and she was hunting WY. Either way, it was better than being sneered at like here in Commiefornia :cautious:

Gobbler36

WKR
I hear ya, but she wasn't really divulging any info. Just that she and hub's had killed a couple bucks and an area they were looking at for elk. Plus, we were hunting ID and she was hunting WY. Either way, it was better than being sneered at like here in Commiefornia :cautious:
No doubt

Cfree76

FNG
Lol this is something I read here all the time and will never understand. Where I am from (northern Manitoba) if anyone so much asks they will get directions, hand drawn maps and strategies that have worked in the area in the past. The fact that you guys are so secretive is kind of amusing. But then again I guess there is a romantic feeling about mountain hunting that may flood an area with tourist hunters that just doesn't happen up north here. Still makes me chuckle when I read it though.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Lol this is something I read here all the time and will never understand. Where I am from (northern Manitoba) if anyone so much asks they will get directions, hand drawn maps and strategies that have worked in the area in the past. The fact that you guys are so secretive is kind of amusing. But then again I guess there is a romantic feeling about mountain hunting that may flood an area with tourist hunters that just doesn't happen up north here. Still makes me chuckle when I read it though.

You're fortunate. When I hunted Canada for moose I saw two other hunters in two weeks...and they were glassing from the road. Zero pressure. Here in the lower 48 we see more hunters than game sometimes. Totally different reality. I got to full draw more times in 12 days in Alberta than I have in a decade here in the states.

Last edited:

Cfree76

FNG
You're fortunate. When I hunted Canada for moose i saw two other hunters in two week...and they were glassing from the road. Zero pressure. Here in the lower 48 we see more hunters than game sometimes. Totally different reality. I got to full draw more times in 12 days in Alberta than I have in a decade here in the states.
Well if you ever make it to northern Manitoba I can hook you up lol. Where I spend most of my time there isn't a "road" for at least 40 miles. But more Moose than you can shake a stick at....and its not far from excellent Elk hunting too.

Well if you ever make it to northern Manitoba I can hook you up lol. Where I spend most of my time there isn't a "road" for at least 40 miles. But more Moose than you can shake a stick at....and its not far from excellent Elk hunting too.
Sounds like Heaven

Cfree76

FNG
Sounds like Heaven

Honestly i would never dream of living anywhere else...unless i find someplace further north. But i got to go to the mountains once as a kid and its been a dream of mine to spend time wandering around living out of my pack there ever since.
Wouldnt even need to hunt its just such a beautiful place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tdhanses

WKR

I think more people hunt the state of CO then there are in Canada 😁

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes I amuse myself and fork with strangers just for my own personal entertainment. This morning I pull into a gas station in my Ram and this ole beat-up white truck with Texas plates pulls in behind me. Sometimes I forget this is what other drivers see when they’re behind me.

View attachment 96705

So there I am minding my own business, preparing to pump my gas and these two people (young couple in their early 30s or so) approach me. In my head I’m thinking, great…they’re gonna try and bum gas money from me with some BS sob story or jack my truck and rob me” so I adopt my usual F-U stance (you CCW guys understand right?). Lotsa people getting held up in gas stations now.

The guy, tall brown hair and kinda lanky says, “Nice truck…you hunt?”

“Yeah.” I reply, careful not to encourage him.

He reaches out his hand and says, “I’m ____?____” (I instantly forgot his name cuz I was on defense so I will just refer to him as Tex herein). I don’t shake his hand. Might be an act and a way to control my right arm. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Tex: “What do you guys hunt most here in California?”

Me: “Mostly deer, hogs & coyotes…I prefer to hunt outta state.”

Tex: “I’m kinda surprised to see a hunter here.”

Me: “Yeah, we’re unicorns alright.”

Tex: “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name, this is my girlfriend Stacy.” (Her name I remember cuz she was country hot…boots, tight jeans, tied off tee, long blonde hair that was kinda mussed up like she just got outta bed and was ready to jump back in.) Tex seems less likely to be a beggar or a threat so I relax a bit. I reach out and shake their hands.

Me: “Hi, I’m Trad Bowman, nice to me you. Where in Texas ya from?”

Tex: “Ft. Worth” he replies.

Me: “Nice area, better than Dallas. Dallas is a bit too cosmopolitan for my taste.”

Tex: “Yeah…that’s because too many Californians moved there.” We both laugh. I’m starting to like this guy. Then he says, “So you hunt using a bow?”

Me: “Most of the time, yeah. Sometimes a rifle but rarely.”

Tex: “Whaddaya shoot?”

Me: “Whaddaya mean? Animals?”

Tex: “No…what kinda bow do you shoot?”

Me: “My tank will be full before I get through that list.”

Tex: “Haha…cool. Okay, what’s the biggest animal you’ve shot with a bow?”

Me: “Bison.”

Stacy: “I’ve had bison, it’s amazing. How many pounds of meat did you get?” Stacy is starting to grow on me too…if they ask for gas money I might just give it to em.

Me: “511lbs on one bull, about 435 on another.”

Tex: “Dang…that’s a lot of meat, you must have a big freezer.” He laughs.

Me: “Got four…one’s filled with bison, one with moose, one with elk and another with hog meat.”

Stacy: “Holy cow! You’d fit right in where we live.”

Tex: “So what’re you hunting this year?”

Me: “Dunno till the tag results are in…hopefully antelope and bull elk.”

Stacy: “What do you do for work?”

Suddenly I feel like all this questioning is getting deep and my defenses go back up. Maybe they’re just inquisitive but I doubt it. Creativity clicks in.

Me: “I produce hunting videos…maybe you’ve seen em? Trad Bowman Outdoors…all spot & stalk for big game across the country.”

Tex & Stacy: “Really?!”

Me: “Beats working.”

Stacy: “We’re meeting a real live celebrity in California and he hunts tahboot.”

Tex: “I’m jealous, wish I could get paid for hunting…are you on youtube? Can I see your shows there?”

Me: “Yep. Use the search term THE MATADOR.”

Tex: “Is that cuz you kill only big bulls?” Laughs.

Me: “Nope…it’s what they’re standing in.” Tex has a funny look on his face trying to figure out what I just said.

Gas pump clicks, I pull the nozzle and say goodbye while they look at me with wonder in their eyes. Pretty sure they were Googling Trad Bowman when I drove away. I like the sound of it, Trad Bowman…a perfect alias for my next run to Vegas. LOL

Stacy? If you and Tex are reading this, ask yourself this question. What are Matadors standing on?

View attachment 96706

That's what our brief encounter was.

What makes you write this whole story about how you treated someone like shit?

Feeling really good about yourself....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I amuse myself and fork with strangers just for my own personal entertainment. Pretty sure they were Googling Trad Bowman when I drove away. I like the sound of it, Trad Bowman…a perfect alias for my next run to Vegas. LOL

It struck me as funny, that's all. Judge on judgy people.

California is a mess.

Well who's judging right? I mean, you seem to already pre-judge that very nice couple who was just being friendly. I guess it is Californians like you that perpetuate the myth that Californians are a-holes.

What is strange is to then come online and write about it here and brag about it. It's the "I was a jerk and lemme write about it online to show off to my peeps" show it seems.

But if you must judge, maybe judge your own actions? The numbers of hunters are shrinking and you think you are helping future generations?

Really?

Please don't come to Nevada, we are tired of Californians like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.