Hickok45 cuts official ties with NRA

That holds a lot of truth but, it is still our cross to bear. The silver lining is this may be what is needed to inspire us all to become more active. Every little bit counts, right? Let this whole Hickok shenanigan fuel us all to ask more of our leaders, provide more input as to how our dollars are spent and if nothing else encourage unity. A little tolerance might be necessary! One thing that should be clear-- WE need the NRA and, for that matter SCI, to promote and defend our interests.
Respectfully

Rob5589

WKR
You never hear a politician state they are going to "take on" GOA or the SAF when an election is coming. Even with current issues, the NRA is still our best option.

260madman

WKR
For those people that think the debate will stop at guns, here are the knife laws in the UK:

It is illegal to:
  • sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
  • carry a knife in public without good reason – unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife. The courts ultimately decide what a good reason is.
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is long)
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000(about $6,300).

Bowhunting in the UK is also illegal. Bowhunting is legal in Australia but you are not allowed to shoot any native species. Birdwatching is encouraged.

I try to avoid political discussions, but some people are taking way too much for granted. Who we vote for and support matters. If you don't like or use guns, bows or knives, then I guess it doesn't.

#stabbylife

87TT

WKR
You can't quit something and then change it. That Hickok dude is just a chicken in my book. If we as members don't change it, who will. And when it goes, no one is going to watch his videos of throwing rocks because that's all we will have left.

MattB

WKR
It's never a good sign when you are down to the "better than nothing" argument to justify something.

Who thinks that? Or is that just negative Nancy internet hyperbole?

The NRA is damned effective at what it does, regardless of whether there is some disfunction at the top. It is sad that aime folks would confused the two, esp if the justification is a.Youtube video by a backyard hobbyist.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
A bit off original op.
The 2nd states arms.
No where in the COTUS does it say the government has the authority to decide what that means.
We are arguing about a right.
Rights are not given by the government.
They are inherent.
A tactic used by the anit gun folks forever.
Make the argument about something other than it truly is.

R

Who thinks that? Or is that just negative Nancy internet hyperbole?

The NRA is damned effective at what it does, regardless of whether there is some disfunction at the top. It is sad that aime folks would confused the two, esp if the justification is a.Youtube video by a backyard hobbyist.

There seems to be a bit more than some dysfunction at the top, and that is direct from the NRA.
As to the effectiveness of the NRA perhaps you would care to clarify just what they done recently to advance/clarify/protect our rights? Mind you I am a member, but they have been on the wrong side of bump stocks, and red flag laws here very recently.

Trial153

WKR
The NRA sold out several state organizations looking for support in blue states. they knew they can get more money from the losses in those states by making fear mongering sound bites then actually winning cases.

MattB

WKR
There seems to be a bit more than some dysfunction at the top, and that is direct from the NRA.
As to the effectiveness of the NRA perhaps you would care to clarify just what they done recently to advance/clarify/protect our rights? Mind you I am a member, but they have been on the wrong side of bump stocks, and red flag laws here very recently.

I can't tell if that is a serious question or not, but here goes. On a federal level, we don't have universal background checks. We don't have magazine capacity limitations. We don't have limitations on the frequency of gun purchases. AR's and other firearms with similar capability/features have note been outlawed.

There are a litany of restrictive local laws that have public support that have not been adopted nationally largely based on the NRA's political power.

I can't tell if that is a serious question or not, but here goes. On a federal level, we don't have universal background checks. We don't have magazine capacity limitations. We don't have limitations on the frequency of gun purchases. AR's and other firearms with similar capability/features have note been outlawed.

There are a litany of restrictive local laws that have public support that have not been adopted nationally largely based on the NRA's political power.
I'm assuming you attribute these things solely to the NRA yes? Why do so many states have magazine capacity limitations? You do realize the NRA supported and helped craft background checks right? It wasn't too long ago AR's and other firearms with similar capabilities/features were outlawed. Was it their efforts that made that happen or was it their efforts that kept that from continuing?
Point being it has been quite a while since the NRA has found itself at the forefront of a win for the 2nd. They have jumped on a few wins, but it has been other orgs leading the way. If you are going to attribute these shared wins to the NRA you should apply the losses and outright forfeitures to them as well.

Esse quam videri

I'm assuming you attribute these things solely to the NRA yes? Why do so many states have magazine capacity limitations? You do realize the NRA supported and helped craft background checks right? It wasn't too long ago AR's and other firearms with similar capabilities/features were outlawed. Was it their efforts that made that happen or was it their efforts that kept that from continuing?
Point being it has been quite a while since the NRA has found itself at the forefront of a win for the 2nd. They have jumped on a few wins, but it has been other orgs leading the way. If you are going to attribute these shared wins to the NRA you should apply the losses and outright forfeitures to them as well.
👆🏻Background checks? You say it like their involvement was a bad thing. Why wouldn't we want the NRA involved in writing policy, if policy was inevitable? For that matter, why wouldn't WE want background checks?
Esse quam videri

I suppose we could ask them if their involvement was a bad thing since according to them "background checks don't stop criminals from getting firearms."
I suppose you could also check to see if that policy was inevitable, considering it wasn't even on the table until they created it. I think the better question is why would we want to support an organization that is creating legislation that hinders our ability to exercise our right.

Again, I'm an NRA member, but to claim they have done a lot for our right lately is......disingenuous at best.

I'm not here argue or especially offend anyone but, I am always open to education! I may be wrong but, the Brady bill was signed into law in 1993 or 1994. The mood was right for it to pass no matter what! The powers that be decided if we can't win them let's join them to limit our infringement. Personally, I think they did a good job of that. I (we) can buy as many guns as I (we) want and saving a waiting period of a couple days for pistols--anytime i want to!
I dated a lady for years that was one of their lead attorneys during that time. From her position, I assure you we came out on that with limited sacrifice. Know that support for NRA is a good thing, voice your dissatisfaction to the organization or better yet do the surveys that everyone hates. Some of those surveys go to the governing board. At the end of the day, we should affect change through support instead of vitriol.
Respectfully,

Okhotnik

WKR
The NRA sold out several state organizations looking for support in blue states. they knew they can get more money from the losses in those states by making fear mongering sound bites then actually winning cases.
Tell me more about your gun confiscations in your state