Hidden Alaska Outfitters

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all. I've been lurking here for years but finally decided to register. I am by no means an accomplished mountain hunter but have wanted to hunt sheep and goats my entire life. I am a wildlife biologist/ranch manager in south Texas and have been guiding whitetail, nilgai, javelina, hog and turkey hunts here for the past 20 years.

I am blessed to work for an employer that has allowed me to hunt all over the world with him during my offseasons. I have hunted the big 5, dangerous 7 and lots of plains game in Africa. I've also hunted aoudad in West Texas and Dagestan tur in Azerbaijan. I currently have a tahr hunt booked in New Zealand for 2022 as well as mid-Asian ibex in Kazakhstan. That's basically my hunting and professional bio.

All of that to introduce myself and ask my first questions here on Rokslide. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a dall sheep hunt in the Alaska range for 2024. I will be hunting with Hidden Alaska Outfitters but by then, it is my understanding that Tony, Buck's son-in-law, will be running the business. I am hoping that someone on here has hunted with Buck and/or Tony and can tell me all about your hunt. It's a long ways off so I will spend the next few years thinking about everything I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing your stories, seeing your photos and taking any advice you want to throw my way.

Robert Johnson

Last edited:
OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Got it. Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure I'll be asking you a BUNCH of questions over the next couple of years.

deadwolf

WKR
I work with Tony and have known him for over 20 years. You will not find a more dedicated and competent sheep hunter/guide out there. Make sure you are in shape and ready to give it everything. He doesn’t slow down : ) You are in good hands and are about to have the hunt of a lifetime. Tony is going to be in high demand, and it’s not going to take long at all. Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Badass! Really appreciate it. 2024 can’t get here fast enough. I’m glad I have a few hunts before then to keep my mind occupied.

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome Robert!

All, this guy is a great guy, guide & hunter! Had the pleasure of him being my guide this past Fall in Texas.

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome Robert!

All, this guy is a great guy, guide & hunter! Had the pleasure of him being my guide this past Fall in Texas.
Hey man! Good to see you here. You should start saving your pocket change, like me. and go Dall sheep hunting in 2024. It’d be awesome to have you on that trip. We still have one more BIG one to do before or after then.

Following! Definitely interested in a dall sheep hunt and would like to know more about Hidden Alaska.
Hello from South TX!!
Good luck to all this season

Good luck and have fun with all the prep work leading up to 2024. I booked my dream 1st Dall hunt about 3 years ago now. The time dragged at 1st while I worked hard at being ready, but then all of a sudden it was” holy crap” it’s here. I fly out 2 weeks from today. Enjoy the whole process!!!

SipandDip

FNG
Hello all. I've been lurking here for years but finally decided to register. I am by no means an accomplished mountain hunter but have wanted to hunt sheep and goats my entire life. I am a wildlife biologist/ranch manager in south Texas and have been guiding whitetail, nilgai, javelina, hog and turkey hunts here for the past 20 years.

I am blessed to work for an employer that has allowed me to hunt all over the world with him during my offseasons. I have hunted the big 5, dangerous 7 and lots of plains game in Africa. I've also hunted aoudad in West Texas and Dagestan tur in Azerbaijan. I currently have a tahr hunt booked in New Zealand for 2022 as well as mid-Asian ibex in Kazakhstan. That's basically my hunting and professional bio.

All of that to introduce myself and ask my first questions here on Rokslide. I finally decided to pull the trigger on a dall sheep hunt in the Alaska range for 2024. I will be hunting with Hidden Alaska Outfitters but by then, it is my understanding that Tony, Buck's son-in-law, will be running the business. I am hoping that someone on here has hunted with Buck and/or Tony and can tell me all about your hunt. It's a long ways off so I will spend the next few years thinking about everything I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing your stories, seeing your photos and taking any advice you want to throw my way.

Robert Johnson
Hey Robert, would love to hear what you have learned. Jack

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
After talking to lots of folks, I’ve learned that I will be in good hands at Hidden Alaska. Buck will be retired by then and Tony will be in charge. I’m really looking forward to the hunt. 2024 can’t get here fast enough.
I am a little concerned about mature sheep populations. Everything I’m reading has been pretty dismal as far as numbers of mature rams goes but such is hunting. Mature rams or few mature rams, we will hunt hard and make the most of it. Looking forward to 2024.

roymunson

WKR
Good to hear some good reviews here. Just booked a Moose Grizzly combo with Tony for 2023. Ohio Flatlander here. I'm really looking forward to this thing.

OXN939

WKR
After talking to lots of folks, I’ve learned that I will be in good hands at Hidden Alaska. Buck will be retired by then and Tony will be in charge. I’m really looking forward to the hunt. 2024 can’t get here fast enough.
I am a little concerned about mature sheep populations. Everything I’m reading has been pretty dismal as far as numbers of mature rams goes but such is hunting. Mature rams or few mature rams, we will hunt hard and make the most of it. Looking forward to 2024.

Hunted with them a few years ago. DM me for discussion.