Hide care

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
So last year i finally tried to tan some hides. I did two deer hides. They turned out ok for first time.
But for future what's a good way to take care if the hides, particulary in the first 24 -48 hours.
Flesh immediately? What happens if i you don't have the time to get to it immediately.
Soak it? Salt it?
I red some stuff where you can (i assumed already fleshed) salt and dry them. Hang it up for long term storage to finish the tanning process later in the year.

How does everyone go about tanning hides?
Tips and pointers please

I'm a long-time taxidermist if you want to tan them later flash them completely clean salt them with plain stock salt they will keep a long long time like that or if you have the space fries and process later

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a long-time taxidermist if you want to tan them later flash them completely clean salt them with plain stock salt they will keep a long long time like that or if you have the space fries and process later
So it's the getting to it right away us the issue.. so luckily the first time i did it..i shot the deer on sat morning. So i was able flesh it that evening.
My question is more like . I kill it Sunday at 4 -5.
Well then by time i get done with meat. I wouldn't have time to flesh the hide.. and once I'm back at work Monday i wouldn't have time till the weekend to get back to hide.
That's more my question.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

rmrwade

FNG
what are your outside temps? extra freezer ?throw it in there. get to it later. they thaw pretty quickly. roll the dice and leave it rolled up where dogs cant get it. if the hair slips, no biggy just make buckskin out of it. better use for deer hides anyway ,imo.

You can go ahead and freeze the hide without fleshing it it won't hurt just thaw later you have more time in colder temperatures meat cutters live by the adage life begins at forty meaning bacterial growth grows exponentially after 40 degrees stay under that you have more time but in the end the safest thing is to freeze it if you can't completely Flash and salt it

Reactions: WCB
A few options

1. Freeze.

Or

2. Flesh and dry. Store in a temperature stable and dry area. Fluctuations in temperature will cause condensation to build up on the hide and could result in damage. I keep my dried hides in the utility room beneath my house where it is a constant 50 degrees.

Or

3. Flesh and salt, Then fold it skin to skin and roll it up and let it drain for a day. Then re-salt roll it up and place in a garbage bag and store it in a temperature stable area. I usually use a contractor bag and then put it in a plastic tote to prevent any curious critters from chewing into it.

For fresh hide with temps in the mid 40's or colder I don't worry about it if I can't flesh it until the next day or even 2 days. If we're talking about a cape for a shoulder mount I don't take the risk because the hair around the eyes and lips is more likely to slip so I either flesh and turn immediately or freeze it.

WCB

WKR
For what you are asking on basically short term storage until the first opportunity to flesh...simply freeze it. No need to flesh before freezing.

I would recommend if getting to it rather quick to fold the hide skin to skin and then just in half again and lay it across the top in your freezer, instead of rolling. This will help freeze it quicker and evenly. Also, that way if you are going to flesh it Saturday night you should be able to pull it out Friday night before bed or right away Sat morning and it will be thawed and ready to go.

You could always put it in a cooler with ice for a week and it will be just fine.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys.
Good info!!!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk