Hide friendly bullet for 6.5 creedmoor

I shoot a 6.5 creedmoor for my coyote gun. Ive been shooting Hornady 123 gr ELD-M's thinking that they would be a hide friendly round for coyotes and this has turned out to not be the case. I started looking for something else like a FMJ but found very few that are actually made. Looking for suggestions on FMJ's for the 6.5 or other hide friendly bullets that people have found and tested. Thanks

CamoHD

FNG
Have not tried these but Hornady makes a 95gr. Vmax that might work

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Reactions: AKG

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I think with the 6.5s and up you're better off shooting a bonded or mono-metal bullet. Almost anything is going to exit, and the violently expanding light jacketed bullets are going to tear things up on the way out. You could try some cheap FMJ but my experience is that performance is erratic, they might pencil through on one shot, just to frag out or yaw on the next.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I think with the 6.5s and up you're better off shooting a bonded or mono-metal bullet. Almost anything is going to exit, and the violently expanding light jacketed bullets are going to tear things up on the way out. You could try some cheap FMJ but my experience is that performance is erratic, they might pencil through on one shot, just to frag out or yaw on the next.

For fur friendly I agree. My wife has shot coyotes with a 140gr bonded bullet out of her 7mm-08 so you are almost identical velocities and energy. 7mm sized entrance and a quarter to half dollar sized exit every time.

jmcd22

WKR

I'm shooting the 95gr VMax out of my Creedmor currently. They are accurate on paper but we haven't had any coyotes to test them on yet. Hopefully this weekend if we don't get rained out.

My understanding of "fur-friendly" isn't the bullet but more so the speed at which you are pushing it. I'm sure bullet plays into it some but it seems anything under that 3100fps blows them up. I could be dead wrong on this but that is our experience.

SoDaky

WKR
Frankly most of the time it's the other way.'Speed' equals more blow ups absent the right bullet.With the 95 Vmax don't think you'd want more speed in terms of 'fur friendliness'.

My experience is that there isn’t really a true “fur friendly” round without severe limitations. Ive found a subsonic .223 a.300blk works really well but those rounds are expensive and useless past 100 yards. Truly, they’re only great out to 75yds. OR, you can go with something tiny and uderpowered like a .17 Hornet. Even then, you’ll still have some blowouts and you’ll damn sure have more run offs.

If you’re really concerned about fur, your best bet is shot placement. If you can’t head shoot them, shoot ‘em straight on or straight away - give your bullet the time and material it needs to expand, dissipate all its energy and either stop or exit at very low speed/energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried them out of my Mossberg patriot 6.5creedmoor and they didn't hold a good group at all, something like a 3 inch group at 100 yards. The gun is very accurate for a cheap rifle.

CamoHD said:

"I tried them out of my Mossberg patriot 6.5creedmoor and they didn't hold a good group at all, something like a 3 inch group at 100 yards. The gun is very accurate for a cheap rifle."

I had just the opposite experience in my Remington M7 .260....the 95 gr V-max was the most accurate bullet I shot. Just goes to show you need to try them in your rifle. That said, I shot one coyote with the .260 and the Barnes TTSX did not tear it up much at all...same experience with TTSX bullets in the 7mm-08.

"I tried them out of my Mossberg patriot 6.5creedmoor and they didn't hold a good group at all, something like a 3 inch group at 100 yards. The gun is very accurate for a cheap rifle."

I had just the opposite experience in my Remington M7 .260....the 95 gr V-max was the most accurate bullet I shot. Just goes to show you need to try them in your rifle. That said, I shot one coyote with the .260 and the Barnes TTSX did not tear it up much at all...same experience with TTSX bullets in the 7mm-08.
You just never know