High altitude headaches

ELKJUNKIE

FNG
I hunt and camp at or about timberline. Every morning and sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up with the worst headache you can imagine. Do you guys have a remedy for this?they are so bad that I am thinking about changing my elevation for sleeping,but I do not want to.I like to sleep with the Elk.

OP
E

ELKJUNKIE

FNG
I always thought I was drinking plenty.I usually fill my bladder in the evening some where and drink a little extra at this time.

You just aren't adjusted to the altitude. Keep sucking down water. Try Wilderness Athlete altitude advantage or Ginko Biloba pills while you're out there. Helps with the production of red blood cells and that in turn helps with the headaches.

OP
E

ELKJUNKIE

FNG
thanks for the tips,although the headaches are as bad the last day as they are at the beginning of my hunts.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Water and Rolaids help me. Something that is in the Rolaids kills an altitude headache. Tums do not work they must be Rolaids. I have noticed too the better shape I am in regarding my cardio the less issues I have with headaches at altitude.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Nuun tablets, water and rolaids (calcium carbonate). Regular old aspirin helps as well. I gave that combo to a guy from Ohio who was struggling with the altitude and his headaches and nausea were relieved.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hydrate for sure. I have heard the Rolaids trick does work. here is my take on the night time/ morning headache. While you sleep your resperations and heart slow to a resting rate. Lessening the amount of oxygen available to the body. Thus exagerating any tendencies toward altitude sickness. I'm an asthmatic. I would wake at least twice a night with a gasp. After a couple normal breaths,everything was fine and I would fall right back to sleep. I likend it to sleep apnea. I'm not cursed with apnea,but what I experiance at high elevation resembles it. Knock on wood I had very little trouble with the headaches. I was worried about it,but they didn't materialize to the degree other's have suffered with. I have started my prep for next fall already. Grape seed and Ginko Baloba along with my hiking and other cardio/weight training. I don't know if the Grape seed/Ginko is the real deal or not,but I'm not going to question the results from 2010. Of course the better your condition the better you will process the limited supply of oxygen.

shooten

FNG
I was in a class a few weeks ago and a Dr doing research on this gave a pretty good lecture. He recommended talking to your Doctor about a prescription for Acetazolamide/Diamox. He said it's very effective for most people with altitude sickness. The other suggestions here are excellent as well.

I would think it would be from a lack of water as well. I also pop extra strength tylenol first thing in the morning and with dinner every night. Those headaches are the worst when you do get them.

OP
E

ELKJUNKIE

FNG
I take advill before bed but it does not seem to help.I will definitely try these suggestions,thank you guys.