High Altitude Sickness Prevention with Dr. Abigail Lara

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m so glad you covered this Jordan. I haven’t had time to listen to it but I’ve got it in the to-listen line up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ofl0926

WKR
I’m gonna listen to this today. I live in Florida and I’m always worried about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
It wrecked my OIL Valle Vidal Elk hunt last Sept. I still have some optic nerve damage on my left eye. This crap was scary as hell. By the third day I thought I was going to have a stroke.

2rocky

WKR
Good stuff. Living at 17 ft elevation and hunting in Wyoming from 8-10,000 we would always stop in NE Nevada to spend the night. I think that helped immensely. I recall a hunt in 2008 that I had a debilitating headache in the beginning. One think about the "altitude drink" mixes is that is is one way to ensure adequate (or at least better) hydration.

I also recall a hunt in the Wind River range I went on with a respiratory infection in 2015. I imagine the steroids I was prescribed along with the antibiotics may have helped with any edema. But camping at 10,000 ft did not help things very much.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff. Living at 17 ft elevation and hunting in Wyoming from 8-10,000 we would always stop in NE Nevada to spend the night. I think that helped immensely. I recall a hunt in 2008 that I had a debilitating headache in the beginning. One think about the "altitude drink" mixes is that is is one way to ensure adequate (or at least better) hydration.

I also recall a hunt in the Wind River range I went on with a respiratory infection in 2015. I imagine the steroids I was prescribed along with the antibiotics may have helped with any edema. But camping at 10,000 ft did not help things very much.
good to see you on here man. Haven't seen you in a while, maybe I just miss your posts.

gentileod

FNG
Oddly enough, I had a couple instances when younger with migraine. Was on family trip, so driving up Fall River Rd in RMNP. Cant remember if it was first or second day. Definitely nervous when I went back on hunting trip, but had no issues.
Last fall hiked a 14er, but acclimated several days ahead. No issues, except for two young buck that hiked along with us. Both got headache and nausea after hike. It was their second day in town.