High Buck Hunt in WA.

rock7

FNG
I am putting together a hunt this coming year during the high buck hunt in WA. I have already started map reconing the area I plan on hunting. What are some tips and tactics yall have used to be successful during this tough ass hunt?

I am looking in 247.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
247 is the entiat I believe you have to be in the wilderness for the high buck. I'd start with a good paper map and a copy of the regs that lists the wilderness you can hunt. I've scouted areas and found bucks in the summer but have yet to be successful. Then again I'm always focused on hunting out of state. Good luck I'll be taking hunting in Washington a bit more serious with the covid 19 thing going on.

I am sure unit 247 is not part of the high buck hunt. The closest area to that is the Lake Chelan National Recreation Area which is at the northern end of the lake. The high buck hunts are not defined by GMUs but by wilderness areas where there is no road access. Here is a map of the Lake Chelan National Recreation Area

0BE46400-F1E2-4DB2-B5F5-C7B214ECCD3A.png

No I haven’t. Had a friend that was a park ranger in that area for a couple of years. She would get there from the west side of the mountains. I believe the only ways to get there is via trails or the Lady of the Lake. It would be interesting bringing a deer back on the boat.

DSY_WA

FNG
Take a look at the regs, Glacier Peak wilderness is the closest area open to what you're looking at.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
Go in to this hunt with low expectations and enjoy the scenery and time out. These hunts are extremely tough and if you are being selective in hunting a mature buck they get even lower.

OP
R

rock7

FNG
Interesting how this got moved to DIY/Optics.... Thanks for the info, all of this may be for not since the great state of WA has closed a bunch of forests until 30 September. I was also looking at the Larch Lake area to go into.

Bucky44

FNG
I am putting together a hunt this coming year during the high buck hunt in WA. I have already started map reconing the area I plan on hunting. What are some tips and tactics yall have used to be successful during this tough ass hunt?

I am looking in 247.
I would think about having the Courtney's of Stehekin drop camp you in the high country. I have hunted that area for 50 years, now in Alaska. The odds of success are low. The country is fantastic. There are always a few large buck around, but hard to find.

Finding a good vantage point and glassing dawn til dusk . Dont waste a minute of shooting light. I have had way better luck at finding bucks by staying in one place. One minute their not there. Next thing you know there they are . And usually for a very short window. I find the more ground you can see trump's the more ground you can cover

I’ll probably go this year and live in Chelan county. I have a boat that’ll handle the lake and also a coworker that is a mountain rescue guy in Leavenworth. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk. Always happy to help for a quarter of meat too.

Pasayton is just North of where you're looking, plus Mt Baker, glacier, Henry Jackson. Plus all the Olympic peninsula wilderness areas if you want a rougher hunt for blacktails.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP