High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

When driving into where I hunt for any number of species, the horses I see at camps (90%) have a ribbon of some sort on them to make the novice "Nimrod" aware that he has not identified a hunting species. Do you not do that with ribbons or do you believe that you are far enogh back that a hunter back there will identify what he has in his bowsite/cross hairs? Rarely hear about horses getting shot, but here in Colorado a dozen Moose a year get shot with the belief (yeah right) that they were Elk. Sorry for the tangent, its Sunday morning Robby, get after it.

Jodi

Super Moderator
When driving into where I hunt for any number of species, the horses I see at camps (90%) have a ribbon of some sort on them to make the novice "Nimrod" aware that he has not identified a hunting species. Do you not do that with ribbons or do you believe that you are far enogh back that a hunter back there will identify what he has in his bowsite/cross hairs? Rarely hear about horses getting shot, but here in Colorado a dozen Moose a year get shot with the belief (yeah right) that they were Elk. Sorry for the tangent, its Sunday morning Robby, get after it.

Robby says there are lots of horses in this country, people expect to see them. Good idea though.

Jodi

Super Moderator
Hiked from new camp, leaving at 6:00. By first light, found a decent buck- maybe 27" & 175". Tempting but I cant shoot a big deer if I cant pass on the nice bucks.
Saw several other nice bucks and a big 5x6 bull that would go 320 if he had his Left 5th point. Headed back to camp a little early to get some rest. Im outfitter, wrangler, cook, and hunter on this trip. Plan on hunting east of camp tonight where Ive seen a few good bucks over the years.
Robby

Jodi

Super Moderator
I got to talk to Robby a bit this morning. He joked with me that I may need to send a rescue team because his butt is frozen to the ground. He said that it is as cold as it normally is in November in that country. He was not as prepared with cold weather gear this hunt as this cold front was not expected to be this severe. Not fun.

Jodi

Super Moderator
rested up, grazed the horses, read the Word, Ahhhh Im ready to hunt again. Shadows getting long. headed out on foot for evening hunt. Zipper on tent broke, but can't complain: tag on inside flap says date of manufacture "December 1950". Tent is older than most uf us!
Robby

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 156

Jodi

Super Moderator
Good day for bucks, just not big ones. Saw a bachelor herd tonight of 8! That's a lot for October. Best one a tad bigger than this morning's but still in the 27" class. For reference, these bucks are just a tad smaller than the Colorado bucks on the muzzle loader hunt. Couldn't get the buck tonight on video as he was a mile up canyon. Tomorrow is the last day for this trip, so going to hunt some ROUGH country west of camp. In 2006, saw a 30-incher with double drops there....that'll get me outta bed. Horses had the day off today but will get 13 miles tomorrow. Robby

Good luck Robby! Only takes one.... be thinkin of ya in the morning hoping you get to hear your own rifle report n echo in that high country!!

Mike

Jodi

Super Moderator
6:40 AM, First light, on top, last day. Sneaking along rim of rocky/cliffy basin...
Robby

Jodi

Super Moderator
Three medium bucks. Time to pull out- it's a long way out and a long way home. Thank You Lord for a good hunt and thanks Roksliders for following along. Sorry I couldn't make it more exciting, but as I've said before: big deer hunting can be pretty boring at times...
Robby

Attachments

• thumbs up.jpg
    thumbs up.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 113

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm sure you put in the effort. Like you said, you can't kill the giants if the good ones don't make it to next year.

Mike7

WKR
Robby, great thread, thanks.
Do you worry about the horses much up there with respect to wolves while you're out hunting on foot? What do you typically do with them...hobble, highline, etc.?

Thanks for putting in the effort of updating Robby! Still got plenty of time left...

I'm hoping for 175" or better on my controlled hunt! Doubt I'd ever be passing up 27" and 170's bucks in a general season unit! ;)

Mike