High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
On the road again...
This time it is Idaho.

I've hunted about 20 days in two states for bucks so far this fall and I'm still looking!

Although Idaho is no longer considered a great mule deer state, we make up for it in opportunity to hunt and there are still some smoker bucks around in our general units.

Some backcountry units open early and even run into November. They are demanding hunts but there is opportunity to take a good buck, especially if you scout.

I'm in 9 to 13 miles by horseback for a few days to hunt some areas where I've seen a few 30" bucks over the years. It's a tough hunt, but again, there is some potential.

I can hunt about 5 days before I have to be back to guide a hunter for our Oct 10th opener.

It will just be me and the horses this trip.
attachment.php

I'll have a base camp and spike out from there in a few different directions depending on what I find. If I don't get a buck, I'll be back in there- Lord willin' of course- for the November hunt.

This Live hunt might not be quite as exciting as very poor cell service and no way I can take the laptop. Jodi will provide updates, but maybe only one daily. However, if I turn over a great buck, you'll all be the second to know.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
A little bit on my gear:

Rifle: Weatherby Super Big Game Master in 7mm Remington Magnum (my fav cartridge)
Load: 160 gr. Speer Boat tail; 61 gr. R-19; Remington Brass; Federal 215 Match Grade Primer
Scope: Leopold Vari-X III in 2.5x8
attachment.php

Boots: HI-Tec Altitude IV waterproof hiking boot and Schnees pac boot w/ removable liner

Optics: Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 and Swarovski CT Extendable in 30x, gear review here:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/182-swarovski-ct-extendable-spotting-scopes

Tripod: Lightweight Leopold with Vanguard head. Tripod has served me well for over 20 seasons.

attachment.php

Cayuses: Missy, a 12-yr old purebred appaloosa; Rain an 18-yr old half appaloosa/half thoroughbred-and tougher than boiled shoe leather; and Charlie my 9-yr old Arab.

In the heart of my hunting-heart, hunting with horses holds the most special place.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's a pic from another hunting camp a few years back. Husky 268, since you're asking.

Jodi

Super Moderator
Belly-Deep, wish you would come to Idaho and go with Robby some time. I don't like that he goes alone on these hunts, but he is a tough guy. I always need to keep really busy so I don't think too much of where he is and how alone he is. I pray.

Last edited:

Jodi

Super Moderator
Got a Spot check from him a couple of hours ago--he is at the trail head. Does anyone out there use a Spot Satellite Messenger?