High Country hunt - water!

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
6-7 days is a long time in one spot; your pack weight is what it is. I always worry about food, but find I tend to eat a little less after a day or two as I adjust. If your not here for a few weeks, it may be completely different by that time, weather wise. It was 19 deg this morning, frosty sum-bitch. Lows in the 20's again tonight. You'll need all that 6#'s of clothing. In a few weeks you may find that camping near your high elevation water source and some firewood and climbing early in the morning may be the better option. Just depends. Good luck again.

we are also open to see how it goes. maybe animals go down on day one or two, or maybe we relocate after day three :)

Poser

WKR
I couldn’t get 3 days out of 5 Liters unless I ditched rehydrating meals, which I wouldn’t do under any normal circumstances. If I were married to this plan, I think I’d go 3-4 liters and plan on a water trip midday on day 2 to fetch 8 liters. I’m assume the advantage to this spot is the ability glass a lot of terrain?

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t get 3 days out of 5 Liters unless I ditched rehydrating meals, which I wouldn’t do under any normal circumstances. If I were married to this plan, I think I’d go 3-4 liters and plan on a water trip midday on day 2 to fetch 8 liters. I’m assume the advantage to this spot is the ability glass a lot of terrain?

exactly. I think that is the plan at this point. 5 litres to last 2 days, fill up with 8-10 liters mid day 2

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner and I are in a similar situation this year. We are backpacking in about 6 miles and our closest water is either a mile and half from camp or, if it is super dry, it is 3 miles from camp. Our elevation gain is like 400 feet. We are planning on going in the day before the season starts. We will hike to camp and then one guy will do a water run while the other guy sets up camp, cuts wood, ect. We will carry 6 gallons of water to camp, which will last us 3 days. The painful part for us is that there is water a couple hundred of yards from camp, but it is on private and the landowner will not let us access it, even if we make only one trip, pay money, don't carry guns, and do it before the season starts.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner and I are in a similar situation this year. We are backpacking in about 6 miles and our closest water is either a mile and half from camp or, if it is super dry, it is 3 miles from camp. Our elevation gain is like 400 feet. We are planning on going in the day before the season starts. We will hike to camp and then one guy will do a water run while the other guy sets up camp, cuts wood, ect. We will carry 6 gallons of water to camp, which will last us 3 days. The painful part for us is that there is water a couple hundred of yards from camp, but it is on private and the landowner will not let us access it, even if we make only one trip, pay money, don't carry guns, and do it before the season starts.

nice! lovely landlord haha. at least it sounds like it is a fairly flat hike (400' over 3 miles) I have 2000 feet over 2 miles! good luck on your hunt!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
The guy is a prick. Good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
The guy is a prick. Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks - He told me if I shot a bull and it died one inch on his land, he would not let me retrieve the animal, he would let it rot, and if I stepped onto his land, he would have me arrested. It was a very odd conversation because his demeanor was really nice, but his words were not nice at all. He actually talked to me for like 15 minutes. Most of the time he complained that there were too many hunters on the public land near the thousands of acres he owns. He also told me that it was illegal for me to camp on the public that was adjacent to him. . . Quite the guy.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks - He told me if I shot a bull and it died one inch on his land, he would not let me retrieve the animal, he would let it rot, and if I stepped onto his land, he would have me arrested. It was a very odd conversation because his demeanor was really nice, but his words were not nice at all. He actually talked to me for like 15 minutes. Most of the time he complained that there were too many hunters on the public land near the thousands of acres he owns. He also told me that it was illegal for me to camp on the public that was adjacent to him. . . Quite the guy.
Ok, Im retracting the dick comment. He's an effing dbag...

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
nice! lovely landlord haha. at least it sounds like it is a fairly flat hike (400' over 3 miles) I have 2000 feet over 2 miles! good luck on your hunt!
Yeah - 2k feet over 2 miles is a hump. Doing that with a lot of weight makes for a long day.

Is that water source on the way to camp, or a side trip from camp? Also how reliable is that water source? If it’s on the way, and dependable I’d lean towards only bringing the minimum for getting to the water source. Then filling up as much as I can stand to carry and hydrating like mad for the last push up to camp. Also water used to rehydrate food is still going to get absorbed into your body when you eat it, though maybe not as efficient or satisfying as drinking it. This is risky though, if you get there and the source is not you’re going back to the truck for more water.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Is that water source on the way to camp, or a side trip from camp? Also how reliable is that water source? If it’s on the way, and dependable I’d lean towards only bringing the minimum for getting to the water source. Then filling up as much as I can stand to carry and hydrating like mad for the last push up to camp. Also water used to rehydrate food is still going to get absorbed into your body when you eat it, though maybe not as efficient or satisfying as drinking it. This is risky though, if you get there and the source is not you’re going back to the truck for more water.

watersource is on the way to camp, and I believe it is reliable. high risk, medium reward! haha

TheGDog

WKR
Adult Human Male requires between 1.0 and 1.5 Gal per day. Dependant on size, and More if Hot/Exerting.

Just be thankful you even HAVE a water source nearby! I gotta pre-hike in Gallons of water that I stash out there.

OP
ocurtis

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Adult Human Male requires between 1.0 and 1.5 Gal per day. Dependant on size, and More if Hot/Exerting.
for sure - and with 2 horses for packing we will have plenty of room for all the water we need!

def90

WKR
Bring a big empty water bladder, go up with just enough water for the day, make a trip to your water source and fill up once you are up there.