High Country Meal Plan

I will be hunting a location in the high country where water is scarce. I usually use mountain house but they take a lot of water that I will need for drinking. Any backcountry meals you guys recommend that use less water or none at all? I’ve heard bagels and tortillas with PB & J, just looking for some other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Your body needs water. I’m not a dietician or doctor, but I’m not sure it makes much difference if you eat it in a MH or drink it. Maybe somebody knowledgeable on the subject will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
In my experience, Peak and Wild Zora meals take less water.
You couldn't give me a free Mountain House over having to buy Peak meals.
No comparison in taste but that's me.

No difference whether you drink or eat your water. No way around carrying the weight. Dehydrated just let's you carry far less weight if water is available in the field.

And no matter what you are going to have to also drink water. So hydrated food just contains the water you'd need to add to your bladder anyway. No escaping carrying the same weight if there is no water available, whether part of it is in wet food or none of it.

Scrappy

WKR
Seeing how so many here are talking about peak refuel meals. You can get them at a good discount on guidefitter if you qualify.

I like all of the Peak Refuel meals. Honestly can’t go wrong with any of them.

Another great company is Next Mile Meals. It’s Keto based. Kind of pricey compared to the two brands mentioned above for the amount you get however the flavor is outstanding and the food quality is top shelf.

tdot

WKR
I used to enjoy Mountain House, but now after getting used to Peak Refuel, I can't eat MH. A bit irritating as there isn't a local source for Peak.

I find I enjoy it even more if I add a little Salt & Pepper to each meal. Easy to do as I repackage everything before I leave home.

Also Peak rehydrates really well with cold water, so i usually add in 1/2 the water to my lunch or dinner at my last snack break. Then I only need to boil 1/2 the water and it's ready to eat after dumping in the boiling water, since it's already hydrated.

Agross

WKR
I just checked these peak meals out online. Blackovis has their bundles on sale. Used the rokslide discount Ended up getting 8 meals for $70 Figured I'd try em out for that price.

Rob5589

WKR
The only Peak I am not fond of is the sweet pork and rice. It's way too sweet. Chicken pesto good as is the homestyle chicken and rice. Beef stroganoff is really good but needs about a 1/4-1/2 cup more water than suggested to fully dehydrate the meat.

DavePwns

WKR
Anyone have any experience with OFF GRID FOOD Co dinners, they are pricey but curious if it's worth it paying $6 more than most other meals

Marble

WKR
You've got to have water one way or another. Drink it or eat it. You've got to have it.

You need to find another solution for water.

Some guys will make scouting trips and pack water away in locations critters cant get to them.

I've had a place I hunt in the back country where I have stored fuel, a grill and other essentials for years.