High Country Meal Plan

Elkangle

WKR
I eat green belly bars everyday for lunch...obviously I like them but I don't think I would consider it a water saver...youl need water no matter what...just no getting around it

Definitely don't short yourself water

ShreckIII

FNG
Does anybody have any experience with gluten free meals? I've been able to find some but doesn't seem to be a big selection. I can only eat so many chicken and tuna packets. Lol.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My strategy if water is scarce is to plan for several scouting trips. Once you find a promising area you plan on hunting, scout it at least two more times. This lets you pack in water on those two trips and stash it where you plan to set up a base camp.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Does anybody have any experience with gluten free meals? I've been able to find some but doesn't seem to be a big selection. I can only eat so many chicken and tuna packets. Lol.

Off grid food company is legit gluten free meals. I pack in a ton of almond thin crackers too. You can crumble them up in meals for more calories or just eat them out of the bag.

huntkansas

Lil-Rokslider
I just checked these peak meals out online. Blackovis has their bundles on sale. Used the rokslide discount Ended up getting 8 meals for $70 Figured I'd try em out for that price.
Know this is an old thread but any idea what the current rokslide discount code is?

ShreckIII

FNG
Off grid food company is legit gluten free meals. I pack in a ton of almond thin crackers too. You can crumble them up in meals for more calories or just eat them out of the bag.
I never thought about the crackers, I'll have to remember that and I'll definitely check out off grid. Thanks for the info!

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I dehydrate all my own meals. Better and 10x cheaper. Far less sodium. Not nearly as much water needed either. But it takes a little bit of planning before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you just cold soaking them to rehydrate them when you hunt? Also curious to see what foods/meals you’re making.

Peak must be awesome. Both I and my wife think Mountain House tastes great. I'll have to try some Peak. Best flavors?

Tried several of the Peak meals. I like the strawberry and oats. But as far as the rest go I like Mountain House better. So does my wife. All a matter of taste, and there's no right or wrong when it comes to Personal Taste.

Backyard

WKR
Are you just cold soaking them to rehydrate them when you hunt? Also curious to see what foods/meals you’re making.
Cold soak; depends if I'm doing tacos or something that heats up quicker than the meat would, then yes, I'll add the water to my dried ground that's mixed with the spices already earlier in the afternoon then heat it all up later back at camp. Yes, that means tossing it in the pack in the morning when you leave camp.
Most of my meals don't require anything other than boiling water and a sit in the coozy to reconstitute and heat up.
I'l do chili, tacos, red beans & rice, four cheese potatoes or potato soup with ground meat added, beef soup. stew.(notice the high carbs?)
You'd be surprised at what can be dehydrated or what already is in convenience packs in the store. Look for "just add boiling water" when you're at the store next time. All kinds of good stuff now because we as consumers are demanding faster, easier, so there is more everyday foods than just the crappy over-priced "back country" meals to choose from.
For me, it's all part of the adventure to prepare for the adventure.
Good luck!

Guys quick tip for extra calories. Grab some oil packets, honey packets from Walmart dogs love em too, honey stinger waffles minis, laughing cow snack cheeses are awesome! How about craisens and bana chips. I also like the tropical trail mix blends at the local grocery and dried salamis

TommyV10

FNG
Thank you for the info on Peak meals, seems most threads/pages I visit are always pushing MH. First time seeing Peak and will check them out for my upcoming CO elk trip.

Thank you for the info on Peak meals, seems most threads/pages I visit are always pushing MH. First time seeing Peak and will check them out for my upcoming CO elk trip.

There is a pretty good sampler package on Amazon. That's what we bought and tested six different meals (12 servings).