High Country Mule Deer Gear List

Roksliders,

I'm planning on heading to Central Colardo for a high country archery muley hunt in late August. I've chased muleys in Colorado in early November, but am new to the late August/early September weather in central Colorado above 12k'. I'm simply looking for guys that have been there & done that to look over my tentative gear list. I'm wanting to stay as (reasonably) light as possible w/o freezing my ass off.

*Added bonus: anyone with experience in Central CO; I'd love to hop on a phone call or email.*

-Sitka Lt. Wt. hoody
-Sitka Hvy. Wt. Hoody or similar
-Sitka Kelvin Lite Vest
-Stone Glacier Soft Shell-still up in the air about bringing this
-Kuiu Superdown Ultra Puffy
-Firstlite Stormtight Jacket-thinking about going for a more light weight rain shell here-thoughts?
-In love with my Sitka Timberlines, worried they might be too heavy for that season?
-KUIU Down Pants
-KUIU Church Rain pants
-KUIU peloton gloves
-Beanie?
-Kenetreks
-Outdoor Research Croc Gaiters
-Stone Glacier 3300
-Sleeping bag-leaning Stone Glacier but can't decide between 0 or 15*-open to other brands
-Klymit uninsulated sleeping pad
-MountainSmith Mountain Shelter LT-floorless a bad idea at/above timberline?
-Sawyer Squeeze filter w/ platypus bladder-any opinions on water reservoir bags? Dromlites?
-Sunscreen??
-Food, kill it, glass, tripod, etc.

sr80

WKR
Well, i havent done a Colorado hunt, but have done a lot of trips that are similar to what you are going to do. Id leave the kelvin vest - you've got another puffy jacket so two isn't needed. If your bringing a softshell, id leave the heavy core hoody and just run a synthetic or merino tshirt under the LW hoody and use the softshell as a midlayer. Just my two cents

I agree with dropping some of the clothing including the gaiters. My typical layering system is base / fleece / puffy / rain shell. haven’t hunted Colorado high country but I have bowhunted deer at 11k-12k. I would also get an insulated sleeping pad. I have the thermarest neo air x lite and like it with a quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
List looks pretty solid to me. Agreed I would cut down on some of the clothing. For reference, I pack one sitka lightweight hoody, sitka ascent pants, a kuiu super down ultra puffy jacket (usually leave the puffy pants in the truck), a lightweight rain layer only if definite rain is in the forecast (discontinued from Kuiu, 15oz for the pants and jacket), sitka lightweight base bottoms, a watch cap and EE down mitts.

For gaiters, I would bring if you're using trail runners, if wearing boots I wouldn't bother.

For a sleeping bag you should consider a quilt. Again for reference, I use a therm-a-rest pad (going to use the new Uber lite this season) and an EE Revelation 20 degree quilt.

Floorless shelter - love it. Suncreen - yes. Sawyer squeeze - thumbs up. I bring 2 - 64oz Sawyer bags and my 3L water bladder.

I spree with what has been mentioned above. Lighten up on the clothing a tad and if you are going to run a down sleeping bag i would definitely invest i an insulated pad. I have the big agnes slx? And it has been amazing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
I would cut out a few layers and bring the following clothing:

-Sitka Core Lightweight LS
-Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody
-Kuiu Superdown Ultra Puffy Jacket & Pants
-First Lite Stormtight Jacket & Kuiu Chugach Rain pants
-Kuiu Peloton gloves
-Beanie (First Lite Tag Cuff Beanie - my favorite beanie until it gets really cold. Then I use the Sitka Jetstream)
-Kenetrek Boots
-Outdoor Research Croc Gaiters

OP
carsonkeys
Thanks, gents. I'll slim the clothing list down. Still curious about running a floorless above timberline. I'm mainly concerned about wind, and/or mosquitoes. Any ideas?

@high_rise_hunter Thanks for your input on the floorelss!

OP
carsonkeys
List looks pretty solid to me. Agreed I would cut down on some of the clothing. For reference, I pack one sitka lightweight hoody, sitka ascent pants, a kuiu super down ultra puffy jacket (usually leave the puffy pants in the truck), a lightweight rain layer only if definite rain is in the forecast (discontinued from Kuiu, 15oz for the pants and jacket), sitka lightweight base bottoms, a watch cap and EE down mitts.

For gaiters, I would bring if you're using trail runners, if wearing boots I wouldn't bother.

For a sleeping bag you should consider a quilt. Again for reference, I use a therm-a-rest pad (going to use the new Uber lite this season) and an EE Revelation 20 degree quilt.

Floorless shelter - love it. Suncreen - yes. Sawyer squeeze - thumbs up. I bring 2 - 64oz Sawyer bags and my 3L water bladder.
I just bought my Sawyer Squeeze with 2 of the 64oz bags for 1/2 off. Glad I pulled the trigger after your reply! Thanks

OP
carsonkeys
I spree with what has been mentioned above. Lighten up on the clothing a tad and if you are going to run a down sleeping bag i would definitely invest i an insulated pad. I have the big agnes slx? And it has been amazing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'll be picking up an insulated pad. Thank you!

I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito in the woods in September, especially at that elevation. During the summer it can be miserable but in my experience they seem to disappear around August or so. If anything, you need to worry about marmots and other rodents.

The wind can also be pretty gnarly but many people still rock floorless shelters. I personally prefer free standing tents because I usually hunt solo and I like the false sense of security. I have a Nemo Blaze and it's barely over 2 lbs. I would worry more about lightning than wind, and that is something you will very likely experience - especially above treeline.

Gear list looks good, you definitely won't be cold. I would wait until it gets closer to the hunt, I can't see it getting cold enough in August to warrant bringing down pants, maybe for the first half hour of the day but even then it's rarely THAT cold.

OP
carsonkeys
For me because of the dry air and wind/breeze, I bring some kind of chapstick and some eyedrops.
I keep chapstick in my bino harness year-round for that exact reason! Haha
Solid nugget of info though, thanks.

OP
carsonkeys
I don't think I've ever seen a mosquito in the woods in September, especially at that elevation. During the summer it can be miserable but in my experience they seem to disappear around August or so. If anything, you need to worry about marmots and other rodents.

The wind can also be pretty gnarly but many people still rock floorless shelters. I personally prefer free standing tents because I usually hunt solo and I like the false sense of security. I have a Nemo Blaze and it's barely over 2 lbs. I would worry more about lightning than wind, and that is something you will very likely experience - especially above treeline.

Gear list looks good, you definitely won't be cold. I would wait until it gets closer to the hunt, I can't see it getting cold enough in August to warrant bringing down pants, maybe for the first half hour of the day but even then it's rarely THAT cold.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll consider taking the down pants out. They're my false sense of security/replacement should anything (like rodents or marmots) happen to my sleeping bag, and for the weight I can pretty easily justify it to myself.

chasewild

WKR
Leave the down pants at home. Shell, puffy, mid-layer, base layer. 1 pair of pants.

Floorless shelter in the wind can be brutal. So, if you bring the floorless, just be prepared to be a bit more selective in where you pitch it.

I follow you pretty religiously, surprised I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing! Will the gear on that list guarantee I turn-up a buck like the one in your profile pic? ;)
Look close enough, and you can figure out the units too.