High Country Mule Deer Gear List

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I scouted Aug and then hunted Sept at 12k last year. Less layers BUT don't ditch the puffy pants either, there were some cold mornings depending on the weather. Mine is merino -> fleece -> puffy -> lighter rain jacket for torso. 145merino bottoms -> attack pants -> kenai pants for the bottom and I leave the rain pants at the trailhead.

I used an LBO floorless just fine, just tuck out of the wind best you can, pitch it to cut the wind as needed, keep it lower to the ground, and use guylines. My 35deg bag left me chilled one night in Aug, I brought my 10deg out in Sept (if I had a 15-20 that would have been fine but 10deg is what I had).

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, gents. I'll slim the clothing list down. Still curious about running a floorless above timberline. I'm mainly concerned about wind, and/or mosquitoes. Any ideas?

@high_rise_hunter Thanks for your input on the floorelss!

Just hope I can help! Above timberline I don't think I've ever had an issue with mosquitoes but I have had big ants that will bite and rodents will definitely come into your shelter at night. Numerous times I've woken up in the morning with mouse sh*t on my quilt. Doesn't bother me at all but if that's a non-starter for you then something to consider. As for the wind you can pitch your floorless as close to the ground as possible. It's not perfect but works well.

For me personally I believe the advantages of increased space and a significantly lighter set up with my floorless pyramid much outweigh the benefits of bug/rodent protection and versatility of site selection of a floored shelter.

OP
carsonkeys
Just hope I can help! Above timberline I don't think I've ever had an issue with mosquitoes but I have had big ants that will bite and rodents will definitely come into your shelter at night. Numerous times I've woken up in the morning with mouse sh*t on my quilt. Doesn't bother me at all but if that's a non-starter for you then something to consider. As for the wind you can pitch your floorless as close to the ground as possible. It's not perfect but works well.

For me personally I believe the advantages of increased space and a significantly lighter set up with my floorless pyramid much outweigh the benefits of bug/rodent protection and versatility of site selection of a floored shelter.

Thanks for your input sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you tend to get cold, you can always take a page out of the backpacker's hand book and wrap up in your sleeping bag while you glass during that first hour of light. It's really common for backpackers to eat breakfast wrapped in their sleeping bags so that they don't have to carry anything more than a base layer, light insulating layer and a light puffy.

Maverick940

Banned
If you tend to get cold, you can always take a page out of the backpacker's hand book and wrap up in your sleeping bag while you glass during that first hour of light. It's really common for backpackers to eat breakfast wrapped in their sleeping bags so that they don't have to carry anything more than a base layer, light insulating layer and a light puffy.
Done many a spring bear hunt in Alaska where I sat most, if not all day, wrapped in a sleeping bag while glassing. But, that's altogether different than what the OP is trying to accomplish. Carry on ......

Thanks for posting and all the replies. I'm a greenhorn heading on my first muley hunt this fall and have picked up a lot of pointers from this discussion.

OP
carsonkeys
That's not a bad idea at all.

OP
carsonkeys
Done many a spring bear hunt in Alaska where I sat most, if not all day, wrapped in a sleeping bag while glassing. But, that's altogether different than what the OP is trying to accomplish. Carry on ......
That's a slick idea I'll try out!