High Country Mule Deer

Wapiti23

FNG
Hey guys, I have a question for you. When hunting high country mule deer, and I'll use Colorado and Wyoming as my two target states, what are you looking for when picking out specific basins/areas to hunt? Also, at what elevation do you look into more or expect these deer to be at in say September? I've got some plans in the very near future to partake in some fun in Gods Country at high elevation.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
I'm familiar with WY. What I'm looking for there more than anything is strips of timber, or avalanche chutes, where there are secluded pockets of open areas in between. Once you get above 10,000' in WY it starts to get pretty rocky and open, so i'm somewhere in between 7000' and 9000' in September, but I'm sure you could find deer above and below that.

chutes2.JPG

OP
Wapiti23

Wapiti23

FNG
Thank you for your insight 84. As it stands right now I will probably hit Wyoming first in say two years beings that I have the points to draw and probably Colorado in 3-4 years. It will be my first trip two western Wyoming for mule deer and am trying to get ahead of the game with some E-scouting for now and will probably take a scouting trip out there this summer to get my boots in that country. There are lots of trail heads in that region and am curious how far away some of you guys try get away from them? Its a hunt that I want to give my best shot and make the best of my time leading up to it. I won't have any stock, just me and a buddy and some heavy packs.

OP
Wapiti23

Wapiti23

FNG
I don't have experience hunting deer in either of those two states but I look for spots away from trails if possible to get away from the backpackers and hopefully most hunters. Maybe try to find a sweet spot that is farther than most are willing to hike from the trailheads but not as far back as hunters with pack animals. I would also recommend sticking with one state as it will most likely take several years to figure everything out and be successful if your goal is a big old buck. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thank you. My goal is to have a blast and get a solid representative of a high country buck in both state’s. I do fully intend on trying to get the same tags over and over but that will take some time. I’m hoping boots on the ground for scouting will happen in Wyoming come August.

Jimss

WKR
I've been to Region G in Wyo. On average deer densities are a lot higher than the high alpine country I've been to in Colo. From what I've seen in G the deer head down into the trees after the first few days of opening rifle....in response to hunting pressure. I would search for the steepest, roughest, most isolated spots without any trails in that country. A word of advice....many of the bowls end up in cliffs and it's nearly impossible to cross bowls in some of that cliffy country!

In Colo deer densities are super low. There are usually only a few deer scattered over miles and miles of high alpine country. Many of the bachelor groups of bucks head into the trees as soon as they start shedding velvet. That may take place before the early rifle hunts take place. There is a reason why Colo early rifle hunts don't take many pts to draw.

There is generally a super high learning curve on these hunts! It may take several trips and lots and lots of miles before you start to figure things out! One thing for sure, high alpine country is gorgeous....enjoy!

OP
Wapiti23

Wapiti23

FNG
I've been to Region G in Wyo. On average deer densities are a lot higher than the high alpine country I've been to in Colo. From what I've seen in G the deer head down into the trees after the first few days of opening rifle....in response to hunting pressure. I would search for the steepest, roughest, most isolated spots without any trails in that country. A word of advice....many of the bowls end up in cliffs and it's nearly impossible to cross bowls in some of that cliffy country!

In Colo deer densities are super low. There are usually only a few deer scattered over miles and miles of high alpine country. Many of the bachelor groups of bucks head into the trees as soon as they start shedding velvet. That may take place before the early rifle hunts take place. There is a reason why Colo early rifle hunts don't take many pts to draw.

There is generally a super high learning curve on these hunts! It may take several trips and lots and lots of miles before you start to figure things out! One thing for sure, high alpine country is gorgeous....enjoy!
Do you mind if I PM you for other questions?

RB1

Lil-Rokslider
I recently came across this thread and am currently trying to plan a DIY mule deer hunt (my first mule deer hunt), and I appreciate all of the advice and information everyone is willing to share. Thanks, everyone!

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Don't discount Colorado too much. I've taken a nice 180" buck at 11,500 ft and had a great hunt experience. Expect to gain alot of vertical and be ready for any and all kinds of weather. Having said that I have hunted WY and its tough to beat.

Reactions: RB1
Ok so in H would I expect to see timberline type country similar to White River Ntl Forest CO at 10500? Aspen Pine around 9000?