High Country Mule Deer

Hey guys. Put in for a high country unit in Colorado for the first time ever. I'm a M.S. student researcher in Wildlife Biology living out East, and treating the trip as a little celebration for ending my last year of field work and research.

That being said, this will be my first high country mule deer hunt and I'm not sure what to expect. I've scoured through to forums but I think the uncertainty for me is just stemming from being a newcomer and lacking confidence.

I put in for a high country unit in Southwest Colorado and was looking for suggestions on E-scouting and in the field tactics. I think I'm looking for the right things? It's a really rocky unit, lots of goat country. So far, I've focusing on steep basins on the topo maps that have a timberline mid-way down the basin and light green vegetation closer to the top. Does that seem about right? I'm assuming I'd be best to avoid that ~13k foot elevation rocky goat country all together, and just focus on where the timberline gives way to light green vegation on the aerial maps? If anyone has tips for remote e-scouting the high country in this area, let me know.

Also, if anyone has hunted the high country in Southwest Colorado and would be willing to chat with me over PMs, that would be a huge help. Like I said, I've got lots of pins dropped on OnX and have some plans put together, just lacking the confidence. So I'm not looking for hand outs, just some advice and guidance.

Woobie

FNG
I am in a similar boat. I tried to PM you, but I am new to this forum and cannot find the button.

dhoshauer

FNG
Boots on the ground is always going to be your best bet. Find lush green grass up above timberline. GLASS as much as you can. Let you eyes do as much walking as possible. Good Luck

huntnful

WKR
Everything you're doing sounds right. Don't stress yourself out over it. Just go hunt it! You can cover miles of ridgeline in a day once you get there if the terrain isn't exactly how you imagined or if the population of bucks isn't in the exact drainage you scouted. I'd focus more on potential water sources ( for yourself to get water ) and possibly some reclusive areas where you'd hope to find bucks, but not people, or hikers. So branch off of trails if possible.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Hey guys. Put in for a high country unit in Colorado for the first time ever. I'm a M.S. student researcher in Wildlife Biology living out East, and treating the trip as a little celebration for ending my last year of field work and research.

That being said, this will be my first high country mule deer hunt and I'm not sure what to expect. I've scoured through to forums but I think the uncertainty for me is just stemming from being a newcomer and lacking confidence.

I put in for a high country unit in Southwest Colorado and was looking for suggestions on E-scouting and in the field tactics. I think I'm looking for the right things? It's a really rocky unit, lots of goat country. So far, I've focusing on steep basins on the topo maps that have a timberline mid-way down the basin and light green vegetation closer to the top. Does that seem about right? I'm assuming I'd be best to avoid that ~13k foot elevation rocky goat country all together, and just focus on where the timberline gives way to light green vegation on the aerial maps? If anyone has tips for remote e-scouting the high country in this area, let me know.

Also, if anyone has hunted the high country in Southwest Colorado and would be willing to chat with me over PMs, that would be a huge help. Like I said, I've got lots of pins dropped on OnX and have some plans put together, just lacking the confidence. So I'm not looking for hand outs, just some advice and guidance.
I can help. Sent pm.

cbrown2x

FNG
Hopefully its not an OTC Elk unit, i made that unfortunate mistake a few years ago

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

moscowman

FNG
Have you ever been out west? Just asking because if it looks steep on the maps, it is really steep, maybe impassable. My mule deer hunt last year looked "steep" on the maps and when I got there it was almost straight up and down. It wasn't huntable and after one day I packed up and went to my second spot. So have options, pick multiple locations and be able to switch camps. Also good to have backup plans due to fires, hunt pressure. etc. One year in Idaho when I hiked 8 miles into the back country I discovered there was a college class up there. 35 people in my spot. Went straight to my backup plan.

JamesD

FNG
In the same boat, I have pins dropped all over OnX. My buddy and I put in for a SW unit in Colorado, will be our first time out there. We're just trying to find spots away from people and looking for green around tree lines. Any help is always appreciated. PM me and we can compare notes.

JKOHL37

FNG
Have you ever been out west? Just asking because if it looks steep on the maps, it is really steep, maybe impassable. My mule deer hunt last year looked "steep" on the maps and when I got there it was almost straight up and down. It wasn't huntable and after one day I packed up and went to my second spot. So have options, pick multiple locations and be able to switch camps. Also good to have backup plans due to fires, hunt pressure. etc. One year in Idaho when I hiked 8 miles into the back country I discovered there was a college class up there. 35 people in my spot. Went straight to my backup plan.
Appreciate the tips

OP
GrouseMan1
Thanks for all the help! Looking forward to draw results. I'm happy to have PM conversations with anyone who thinks they may be able to steer me in the right direction. Thanks again, this is a great community.

Just don’t over think it and bring good glass and a great attitude and work ethic and you’ll be in good shape. Hopefully you have a partner coming because more often then not people give up because they get lonely and there head starts playing games and they go home. Good luck should be a fun trip 🍻

TURNER208

FNG
As it has been stated above, it will always be steeper than you imagined. Getting in great shape over the same can be a pain, but always makes the hunt more enjoyable! Good luck!