High Country Mulies 2020

Hey everyone i'm a noobie asking a lot of newbie questions on this site. For mule deer is a good starting point just figuring out how to get as high up as possible?

wulloa

FNG
Can't wait for another early season archery hunt here in NV! Looking forward to hiking into a different unit and exploring new basins and seeing what's around the corner. (y)

Extrapale

WKR
Hopefully NV muzzy.

Probably OR desert with the recurve.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
If I get drawn... I can at least say there should be 2 tags held by the old guys in camp.

The older guys are not as gung ho as I am. I can probably convince them to go up to my area one time with me.

If the stars align, I’ll spend most of September between 9k and 11k in search of a buck like the one you’re holding in your profile pic @ColoradoV

But, I’d settle for either of the other two bucks you posted in this thread 😉

Hopefully get to the hills early September again this year. Want to scout at least once too but that depends how this covid situation ends up though whether it happens or not. I’m in health care and things are just starting to get interesting around the Midwest. Wish I had some pics to show, I’ve struggled locating summer bucks with my last couple trips.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Be up in Colorado high country.
Hopefully redemption after missing big one last yr with my bow.

Hoping to be at 10k plus chasing bug big velvet bucks again this August here in Utah. Might hold off on Nevada and Wyoming depending on how this China virus plays out.

Wondering who out there is planning on hunting mule deer high and early with a bow, muzzy, or rifle? It does not matter the state or area - just wondering who else is looking forward to better times this late summer munching on sunflower seeds behind the glass looking for a buck.

So are you one that will be at elevation looking for a buckskin in 2020??

View attachment 167024
Great buck!

Here is to the snow melting and getting up above 11,000 ft! This year my wife will draw a muzzy tag and that hunt should be a hoot. She has joined me chasing bucks a few times but this will be her first time with tag in hand so she is excited. Hope to have a archery tag but have to see how things play out as only have a slim chance in the draw. Got 3-4 bucks that it would just make my day if made the winter. As a family we decided to hunt close to home this year so only Co for me.

Snowpack around all over Colo is pretty much 100% and we just did not see the giant avalanche cycles this year. So the trails and access should be getting better cleaned up. Winter was not bad or I would expect a normal winter kill this year.

View attachment 167359
Beautiful buck! Good to hear on the winter ,, I'll hopefully be getting a tag this year.

Can’t wait to breath in that Cool, crisp, thin air! Haven’t chased deer in the high country since 2014...Hoping to draw my first co tag, but through my name in the hat for Wyoming, New Mexico and Idaho just for fun!

My names in the hat for one of the early rifle tags. I've been saving points for a few years to try my hand at high country mulie hunting.

MTbow

FNG
Oh yea! Going to get Serious about finding a big high country MT buck in August, try to kill him early in archery.

nowen22

FNG
Utah in August a little past 10k feet. Hoping to find a couple bucks a little bigger than last year. This winter hasn’t been too bad so things should be pretty good.C50CA695-9147-4186-8D0B-42AE98AC5FB5.jpeg

Here is to the snow melting and getting up above 11,000 ft! This year my wife will draw a muzzy tag and that hunt should be a hoot. She has joined me chasing bucks a few times but this will be her first time with tag in hand so she is excited. Hope to have a archery tag but have to see how things play out as only have a slim chance in the draw. Got 3-4 bucks that it would just make my day if made the winter. As a family we decided to hunt close to home this year so only Co for me.

Snowpack around all over Colo is pretty much 100% and we just did not see the giant avalanche cycles this year. So the trails and access should be getting better cleaned up. Winter was not bad or I would expect a normal winter kill this year.

View attachment 167359
What a giant! How old do you think this buck is?

I'm not hunting high country but am going on my first diy mule deer archery hunt this fall - I'm beyond excited!

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
I try and only post pics of dead bucks on the internets... That 2nd one I was hunting but a friend ended up getting him. Was around to help haul him out and he is one of those bucks that fair to say is even more impressive in person. Just a beautiful typical. If I remember right he was right at 31” wide and mid 190’s.

As luck would have it after packing up camp and moving across the unit then backpacking in I was fortunate to get my #2 buck 4 days later. It is the buck in my profile pic. That was a fun year!! Can’t wait to see how this year pans out.

5D6E25B5-082F-46B9-A77C-6665A87BFD46.jpegC1E0DB49-6408-4A42-B596-936F81873EB0.jpeg

Last edited: