High Country Shelter Breakdown - Aron Snyder

Eagle

WKR
Couldn't agree more, been using a tarp/bivy combo since 2009 and won't look back if it's just myself. If I'm sharing a shelter, I go with my tarptent double rainbow and split the tent up between my hiking partner and myself which keeps the total weight for each person down to about 20 ozs each. My tarp/bivy combo with guylines and stakes is just under 23 oz total, not including my trekking poles that I'll have with me regardless.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very good article and I love the TP/Stove options. Even in September, if you get cold and snow in the high country, it is hard to hunt if you can't get warm and dry every night.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
Great article! I am trying to put together a gear list for a solo sheep hunt. If I start now, I can start buy a couple of pieces a year until I draw. Thanks!

I have a cimmaron that worked great for my wife and I but has me thinking more of a light bivy to go with my quilt and a tarp to make is much lighter for her and I and especially solo!!

Couldn't agree more, been using a tarp/bivy combo since 2009 and won't look back if it's just myself. If I'm sharing a shelter, I go with my tarptent double rainbow and split the tent up between my hiking partner and myself which keeps the total weight for each person down to about 20 ozs each. My tarp/bivy combo with guylines and stakes is just under 23 oz total, not including my trekking poles that I'll have with me regardless.

I know this is old, but I was curious how you split the Double rainbow up since its a integrated single wall tent. The only thing I can think is the one single pol and stakes. Maybe that is half the weight.

Also, what bivy/tarp are you using? I still want to try that combo.

Eagle

WKR
I know this is old, but I was curious how you split the Double rainbow up since its a integrated single wall tent. The only thing I can think is the one single pol and stakes. Maybe that is half the weight.

Also, what bivy/tarp are you using? I still want to try that combo.

I was using a custom Oware 8x8 tarp and TiGoat Bivy at that time. If I went back to a tarp/bivy set up, which I've been throwing around for the last couple years, I'd probably go with something like a jimmy tarps model and another tigoat bivy.

On the DR, splitting the tent up for one person to have the tent/fly and the other to have the pole/stakes/footprint works out to about equal weight.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was using a custom Oware 8x8 tarp and TiGoat Bivy at that time. If I went back to a tarp/bivy set up, which I've been throwing around for the last couple years, I'd probably go with something like a jimmy tarps model and another tigoat bivy.

On the DR, splitting the tent up for one person to have the tent/fly and the other to have the pole/stakes/footprint works out to about equal weight.
fastest answer to a 6-year old post I think I've seen since we started. Take a bow Eagle.