High Country Storms- How to Stay Safe

Heading out next week and it looks like two of the days I’ll be out, they’re calling for 40% chance of thunderstorms. What’s the best way to stay safe from lightning while hunting the high country? I’m a bit concerned too because I am hunting out of a trekking pole tent. Should I just slip off the mountain and down into the drainage when storms arrive?

Geewhiz

WKR
To provide a slight amount of comfort when doing what you're talking about. My brain told me that if I fully extend my aluminum tripod all the way to its max and place it nearish but not directly beside my tent It would get zapped before me. No Idea if that's the way it would work but it helped me sleep better. lol

Reactions: MJB

Poser

WKR
We had a particularly stormy season all summer this year in the high country. I continued to go out every weekend regardless of the forecast -often times, it’s raining “over there” but not on you, other times, you get nailed. Setup in a spot that is lower than some big features around you and ride it out. It can be quite enjoyable as it keeps most people out of the high country.

MJB

WKR
I know a guy who uses a old extended antenna in the ground, it's 50yds from him in the open.
He's from CO and has had close calls before he started this practice. I know one time the lighting must have vaporizer his antenna he said it got hit then gone

jolemons

WKR
Most lightening related deaths are from indirect hits, ground current being the most common. Electricity hits nearby, travels through ground and then arcs through body. How far the ground current travels is a complex relationship between the strike and the ground resistance.

I try to setup my tent in a safe of an area as possible, but lightening freaks me out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It gravitatea towards highest object but whatever provides the best path to ground is where it goes. So stay off ridgelines or drop down off of exposed ones. You can get indirect splash that will make your hands and ass go numb if sitting on the ground if it hits close enough, not cool!, ... or just plain cooked. If you are in trees you have done the best you can but it's just bad luck if it hits one next to you. Some of those trees practically pop as the arc flash boils them as it goes through them sends out tree fragments. Do what can but once you've done what you can sit back relax and enjoy the show.

I know a guy who uses a old extended antenna in the ground, it's 50yds from him in the open.
He's from CO and has had close calls before he started this practice. I know one time the lighting must have vaporizer his antenna he said it got hit then gone
I would have to think 50 yards is still plenty close to take ground current?

You want to get into some trees that are roughly an even height. Don't hide under the tallest one. Sit on your pack if needed to minimize your ground contact so only your boot soles are on the ground. Then pray that you don't get hit. And if the wind starts bucking, watch for dead trees coming down. When you make camp, notice the direction most of the down trees are laying.

We rode out a lightning storm at about 10'500' one time under a rock ledge where the lightning was at eye level. That was incredible and terrifying, not something I want to do again.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Stay up to date on the weather patterns. You could avoid the worst areas.