High end binos?

JDJHNTR

FNG
I’m not new to high end optics as I’ve always glass junky!
I currently have Zeiss and Swarovski’s now but I’m looking to buy a pair of 8x42’s and am Interested in opinions on brand?
I know that “best” is subjective as everyone’s eyes are different. Just wanting to get a general consensus from those have tried a few? Thanks everyone....

B23

WKR
For my eyes, the 8.5x42 EL Swaros are hard to beat and often what others are compared to. I'm not sure there is a best because you could probably line up a handful of the very top tier binos and have ten guys look through them on different days in different conditions and still never have a clear winner as "best".

Also, when glassing by hand and not using any kind of mono/bi/tripod I prefer the 8.5 over the 10's and, again to my eyes, the 8.5's just seem to be a little bit crisper and brighter than the 10's. If you're using them on a mount or stand all the time then the extra magnification can be a benefit but hand holding them that extra magnification doesn't help me.

Haven't had a chance to look through the Swaro NL series but I hear they are amazing and better than the EL's.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
Look at:

Leica Trinovid, Ultravid Plus and Noctivid
Swarovski EL & NL Pure
Kowa Genesis
Meopta Meostar
Zeiss Victory SF
Hey Doug, not to put you on the spot but you probably have the opportunity to look through all of these so to your eyes how would you rank the top three and of those do you see one being a clear, no pun intended, winner over the others?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Vision varies from one person to another

To me the top 2 are:
Leica Nocivid and Swarovski NL Pure

Leica Ulravid Plus would be below this. I am not a fan of the Swarovski EL because I see the rolling ball effect out of the corner of my eye while panning. Some people see it and some do not. Unfortunately, I do see it so I am not a fan, however, if you are not affected by that them the EL and Ultravid Plus would be comparable with I think maybe a slight edge going to the EL

Zeiss SF would be next

From a "What is the best buy in quality binoculars" I would say the Kowa Genesis. I was a HUGE fan of the Swarovski SLC. It gave a great option at it's price. The Kowa Genesis is VERY close to that quality.

At "Entry level" to what I would deem Alpha Quality would be the Leica Trinovid and Meopta Meostar