High End Brass for Hunting Hand Loads

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys that hand load for hunting rounds for medium-range shots (up to about 500 yards) as opposed to long range precision shooting - do you find it's necessary or even especially beneficial to buy high end brass like Lapua or ADG rather than less expensive brass like Hornady? I'm about to start working on a load for my 6.5 PRC and I have some once and twice fired Hornady in perfectly good shape but since I'm kind of starting new with this rifle and a couple new bullets I was considering picking up some brand new high quality brass as well. I also know it's easy to get carried away with buying high end everything when it's really not required for a given application. Any thoughts are welcome.

Dcaccia

FNG
In my limited experience, pay for the quality brass. You can spend countless hours sorting, neck turning, trimming, lesser quality cases. I highly recommend ADG after running it. Reloading is a constant “what if” do yourself a favor and don’t let yourself worry about one more variable, by starting with reputable brass.

If it was me I would buy new brass and I would buy ADG if they had my cartridge. If you can get two extra firings out of them over lesser quality brass then it is worth it. Plus the ammunition is the most important aspect of a firearm. Why skimp?

carter33

WKR
I am currently working with ADG brass on a 6.5PRC and the neck tension is really high and causing the bullet seating stem to leave a marking ring/indent on my Berger 156 eols. Not a big deal but I either have to resize the brass or go the route I opted for and buy a expanding/turning mandrel to open the neck up a bit. This should also make my neck tension more consistent in virgin brass anyways though so not too upset.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Okay thanks guys. I appreciate it. ADG just got their 6.5 PRC brass back in stock so I guess I'll order some.

I am currently working with ADG brass on a 6.5PRC and the neck tension is really high and causing the bullet seating stem to leave a marking ring/indent on my Berger 156 eols. Not a big deal but I either have to resize the brass or go the route I opted for and buy a expanding/turning mandrel to open the neck up a bit. This should also make my neck tension more consistent in virgin brass anyways though so not too upset.

I have a Sinclair expander die and a mandrel for both my .243 and 6.5 on the way for that exact reason.

16Bore

WKR
Every first firing is a fireform. Before Nosler made it, that was the only way you’d get anything AI.

I dont think developing a load on parent cases as you fireform is as productive as starting with the correct brass.

Rob5589

WKR
I'll be the oddball. I don't, even for my past match guns. Winchester, Remington, Nosler, is all I used. Using Norma currently. Didn't weigh them or sort them in any way. I did fully prep them and was meticulous in my loading. All shot as tight as I could.

Wapiti1

WKR
I'll say it too. No you don't need to spend extra for the high end brass. The number of shooters that can realize the difference is small. Shoot more and practice more. That will benefit you more, IMO.

Jeremy

NBK1

FNG
Peterson 280 Ackley just started shipping last week. It's available at Graf & Son.

I think BR shooters will gain something with the higher end brass but for LR shooting...practice and get comfortable reading conditions.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used all types of brass. I haven’t found that it makes much difference. I don’t waste my time weight sorting brass either.