High end hunting pack 2200 to 3600

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used/tried all 3 or 4 major high end packs and settled on one and said, “this is what I wanted”!

Why do I ask:
I had the kifaru 22 mag and liked it, very functional pack but it seemed heavy for what it was and I could have used a little more space. Comfortable and durable yes.

Stone glacier been looking at, seems light no pockets but played with one at Scheels and it seemed like there’s straps everywhere and load shelf and frame attachment seemed complicated.

Exo looks decent but only a roll top design on what I’m looking for and I access bag most early morning and at dark and don’t want to dig around.

I tried and want to stay USA but that feller did a backpack review sponsored by ours truly here rokslide and ended picking Kuiu.

They don’t look overly strappy, light with some modularity I think??

I do long day hunts, saddle hunts , extreme cold weather, platform hooked to pack when whitetail hunting and puffy when spot and stalk. Seems like there’s just give and take on the top importance items..

Has anyone successfully landed on the one and only?

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tested 8 packs against each other in two different reviews so let's really dig into this. So I want to play devil's advocate here...When you say heavy, you are talking about the difference of 2-3lbs. So let's start there. Let's say you are packing our meat, are you telling me you that you can tell the difference between a pack that weighs 83 pounds and a pack that weighs 85 pounds?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

bozeman

WKR
Good point- also, unless you invest in the time and effort to measure yourself and get the pack fitted right, you are spinning your wheels. I’ve tried them all…..glad I did as I learned ALOT about backpack fitment and load bearing.

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
No I probably can’t and if the pack is doing it’s job it would be even tougher to tell the difference. But it does all add up whether your climbing a tree, hanging a pack, walking on a cliff side or taking a once in a lifetime shot when you didn’t expect it.
I guess I’m just trying to find what gives and takes are worth it. We’re you the one who did the 2 part video? Nice work!

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that was me and testing new packs already this year! So I want to help you find what you are looking for!

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used/tried all 3 or 4 major high end packs and settled on one and said, “this is what I wanted”!

Why do I ask:
I had the kifaru 22 mag and liked it, very functional pack but it seemed heavy for what it was and I could have used a little more space. Comfortable and durable yes.

Stone glacier been looking at, seems light no pockets but played with one at Scheels and it seemed like there’s straps everywhere and load shelf and frame attachment seemed complicated.

Exo looks decent but only a roll top design on what I’m looking for and I access bag most early morning and at dark and don’t want to dig around.

I tried and want to stay USA but that feller did a backpack review sponsored by ours truly here rokslide and ended picking Kuiu.

They don’t look overly strappy, light with some modularity I think??

I do long day hunts, saddle hunts , extreme cold weather, platform hooked to pack when whitetail hunting and puffy when spot and stalk. Seems like there’s just give and take on the top importance items..

Has anyone successfully landed on the one and only?
I hear that new AKEK is the best ever! 🤥

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Yes that was me and testing new packs already this year! So I want to help you find what you are looking for!

I’ve watched your video like 4 times, I think my wife knows your voice, she can’t understand why I make it so hard.. and I probably am. I’m pretty average build so I haven’t had much issues with fitment if I follow manufactures videos, it may take a few YouTube videos to get and some mock loads.

Your video pretty much had me sold on the kuiu, per your findings. I just fell down some rabbit holes about guys saying there was durability issues.
If I can answer any questions for you to help steer me in the right direction or if your current results mimic your last test than I know.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey I understand durability issues. How much weight are you planning on hauling?

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
most common leaving truck weight 15-30# lighter early season and heavier later season. most common quarry pack out is whitetail or muley probably 30-50# off the bone (guess)
Late season MN public land hunts i cube out before I get anywhere close to weight because late season I’ll hike in for a whitetail carrying my fanatic suit

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
For 80lbs and under you'd be happy with pretty much any of the top 4 packs I tested. Aside from wanting a couple pounds lighter, what else are you trying to solve by leaving your current backpack?

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Oh and I have eyes are bigger than my stomach syndrome so I try to plan for a elk hunt and set unrealistic expectations for my current set up when sometimes I just have to be honest with myself and pick gear for what I’m actually doing.. if that make sense. I would like my gear to do it all and I’m not afraid to pay for quality where it makes sense.

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I’m just looking for the best daypack that isn’t over cumbersome/complicated has the ability to haul 80-100# and is a good balance of weight and durability, quiet fabric and comfortable.

It’s the off season so researching hunting equipment keeps me in the field!😉

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve tried Exo, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, and Seek Outside. Seek Outside was my favorite as far as fit and comfort, but I couldn’t make the bag I had work for whitetail. Exo fit is also great and I love the 4800 bag. So now I use an Exo for hunting and a Seek Outside for everything else.

I hated the Kuiu I had - just unreal lumber pressure for me. I only bring that up to point out that although Kuiu was great for @Zach Herold it may not be right for everyone. You really have to get your hands on something, fit it properly, and haul some weight around to know for yourself.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I’m just looking for the best daypack that isn’t over cumbersome/complicated has the ability to haul 80-100# and is a good balance of weight and durability, quiet fabric and comfortable.

It’s the off season so researching hunting equipment keeps me in the field!
Sounds to me like stone, seek, or KUIU!

DRUSS

WKR
For day hunts and organizing without a bunch of extras to purchase it will be tough to beat the kuiu and the Exo. Both have more pockets built in than a lot of others. That said, stone glacier and kifaru are my choices for bigger packs and longer trips. I have used all 4. All great choices. Need to be able to try some on if you can though?

For day hunts I have really enjoyed my MR Mule. I recently stumbled on a Kifaru 22mag with tons on molle webbing and zip side pockets. Some limited run ( field operator ) that i think may replace the mule.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
Another happy EXO guy. I really wanted to go SG but the EXO seemed the best for me. No regrets.