High-end Midwest Bowhunting Boots

1Arrow

FNG
Hello Boot People!

I've read the threads while drinking my coffee this morning and there are some good ones about boots.

My question pertains to high-end boots for midwest bowhunting. When searching it looks like a lot of Crispi recommendations come up, but I have an interest in other brands.

Application: flat trail to side-hilling steep river bluff country. Walk-ins are anywhere from 200yds to 2 miles with a pack that could push 40lbs with all my gear.

Looking for good waterproofing ( I use gaiters) uninsulated boots: Zamberlan, Scarpa, Lowa, Salewa, Hanwag, and L&S are all on the list.

I know each foot is different and so is the fit and feel for each application. Just wondering if anyone has the above or if any stand out over the rest.

I have also had all the boots and rubber boots from regular stores. I pretty much live in the boots from Sept 1 to end of January.

What do you have?

Birddog1

FNG
Any of the brands you list will do fine but like you mention they’re all going to be different. I’m in Ohio, also bowhunt, and have Crispi Nevada and Summit. I’ve tried on Lowa and Hanwag locally as well. There are a lot of great boots out there but there are limited options for trying them on here in Ohio. I went with Crispi because they offer size 12.5. Try on as many as you can and see what you like.

KyleR1985

WKR
I have lowa tibet gtx and crispi guide gtx. I hunt in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Missouri for whitetail, and am in the mountains every september for elk/mule deer.

I hunt bottomlands, hill country, steep bluffs, you name it. I wear hip boots if I'm in the water, otherwise I wear one of those two boots. The Lowa's took an extra hundred miles or so before I really got them and my feet on same page. But both are incredibly comfortable for any type of terrain. I don't even think about my boots or feet unless I'm over 10 miles in a day. I used to preach to my friends who wear rubber boots all the time, even when we're in midwest. I gave up a few years back, and just kill the deer for them now.

Proper fit and a good insole, and the right socks, and any quality boot will do what you're looking for.

I use uninsulated Zamberlan's mostly. They fit my foot well. You are really going to need to find what fits your foot.

I'm 4 years on a pair of Zamberlan 1013 leopards now. It would be hard for me to determine exactly how many miles. Might not be 1k, but it's got to be close. Could be a lot more than that. Still waterproof. Never have I had boots last like the Zamberlan's. Only problem is they don't have a rand. The newer boots I have gotten have the toe rand or a full rand. For the kind of hunting you are talking about that's probably not a big deal, just I must kick a lot of rocks.

So far likely my favorite is the 4014 lynx with the boa laces. I thought they were kinda gimmicky, but after using them for 2 years I really like them. Time will tell on durability, I don't have near the miles on them as the 996 clone (leopards) but I like how I can quickly tighten my boot up, like if you start going down hill with a loaded pack.

Biggest thing is finding a boot that fits you. I think all the top companies produce a quality boot, but if it doesn't work for you it's worthless. I went to an REI to try on a bunch of different boots to find my fit, that was the only place I could find within a few hours that had much selection of high end boots. Otherwise I'd do it like packs, order a bunch and plan on returning.

dtrkyman

WKR
You have to go by fit, you have quality brands for sure, fit wise Asolo and Saloman are great for me, Saloman did not make it a year, but they replaced them.

Artic shield boot blankets are awesome when it gets colder, and weight nothing as well as pack easily!

gelton

WKR
What generally narrows it down for me is the following:

1. How tall are the boots? I've got a bad ankle and a partially torn achilles so even a Tibet is too short for me. If you need a tall boot then that crosses out like half your choices. If you don't need a tall boot and would rather a shorter one, then that can cross off some of your choices.

2. If you are looking for good waterproofing then you should be looking at what the boot is made of. IME nubuck doesn't play as well with waterproofers as waxed nubuck, or even better, full-grain leather. Often, if you find full-grain leather it's only in insulated boots so if you want uninsulated then you can most likely cross full grain leather off your list too.

3. Sizing - I need a wide, so that crosses off some of the choices too.

Really just a game of deduction, that should get you down to 2-3 choices and from there order em all, try them on and send back the ones that don't fit.

gelton

WKR
I would add that I went down the deduction route - wanted a tall boot, uninsulated with waxed nubuck and ended up with Meindle comfort fit extreme.

So far they have been great - these are the German-made Meindle, not the ones that Cabelas carried.

3. Sizing - I need a wide, so that crosses off some of the choices too.

I wear a wide in everything except Zamberlan's, tho they do make a wide. The standard Zamberlan seems to be EE width to me.

Just why I'd be hesitant to go by what they make. I tried some other Italian boots in wide that weren't wide enough. Unfortunately it's been a few years now and I can't remember for certain how the fit was from brand to brand.

gelton

WKR
I wear a wide in everything except Zamberlan's, tho they do make a wide. The standard Zamberlan seems to be EE width to me.

Just why I'd be hesitant to go by what they make. I tried some other Italian boots in wide that weren't wide enough. Unfortunately it's been a few years now and I can't remember for certain how the fit was from brand to brand.

Yeah, I have had Lowa Renegade, Tibet and Mountain Hunter and all fit fine in a wide especially if you size up 1/2 size.

Meindl are a true wide as well.

But Schnees is still too narrow for me even in a wide and sizing up.

Drenalin

WKR
I use the Crispi Summit GTX for what you've described. On the waterproofing, mine have been fine for the year and a half I've had them - that's with wet grass and creek crossings, not wading. No experience with the others you listed.

OP
1Arrow

1Arrow

FNG
Update: The first pair is ordered. Went with the Hanwag Makra Combi GTX

OP
1Arrow

1Arrow

FNG
I am going to keep this thread going for all the midwest bowhunters.

Just clipped off 10,000 steps on my new HanWag Makra Combi GTX. No break-in before today and ran them stock right out of the box. I don’t even have any sheep feet in them yet. Felt really good and most hiking was on flat cornfield trails to set cameras.
If you are wondering, I wear a size 10.5 in Skechers shoes and ordered the same size boots. The fit was perfect. Waterproofing was good on the trails in tall wet grass.

boot.PNG

jd1006

WKR
I think the Crispi Idaho II should be looked at. Lightweight, but with a traditional hunting boot sole/midsole/rand. The boots with the EVA soles will be lighter and more flexible, but they won’t be as durable long-term.

OP
1Arrow

1Arrow

FNG
I think the Crispi Idaho II should be looked at. Lightweight, but with a traditional hunting boot sole/midsole/rand. The boots with the EVA soles will be lighter and more flexible, but they won’t be as durable long-term.
I will take a look... I have used a lot of the traditional boots, Rockies, lacrosse, etc.. and find that I am liking more of a mountain boot that is stiffer and better crafted thus far.

jd1006

WKR
The Crispi Wyoming is the same as the Idaho II, just 2 inches shorter (if that matters to you).

OP
1Arrow

1Arrow

FNG
I have also seen the Lapponia GTX getting pushed a lot too.

I'm just super impressed with the HanWag thus far.