High-End Whitetail-Specific Pack

jdvanstar

WKR
Hey all! Looking for a high-end whitetail pack. I know there are a ton of western options that can be used for whitetail but are there any specifically made for the mobile whitetail hunter? Things like PU 28s and a few Kifarus are close but they don't seem to be exactly there.

HuntingIN

FNG
I have to place my vote on the badlands superday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all! Looking for a high-end whitetail pack. I know there are a ton of western options that can be used for whitetail but are there any specifically made for the mobile whitetail hunter? Things like PU 28s and a few Kifarus are close but they don't seem to be exactly there.
What is your criteria for the perfect whitetail pack? What are the Pop up 28s and Kifarus lacking, that you would require to get them there?

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
What is your criteria for the perfect whitetail pack? What are the Pop up 28s and Kifarus lacking, that you would require to get them there?
Would love to see something with quieter material, better organization and with something better than the standard zippers (they're also pretty loud). Sitka has probably gotten closest with some of its whitetail packs .

ethan

WKR
Mystery Ranch makes a whitetail specific pack that looks to be very well thought out. But like eagle mountain man pointed out, a lot depends on exactly what you’re looking for, I hunt mountain white tails in east Tennessee and the majority if the time I’m hiking in a Mike or two deep and carrying a hang and hunt set up. When I kill something, I’m usually packing it out quartered so I need a framed pack so I use a pop up 28. But if I were only walking a few hundreds yards to designated stand sites I’d probably opt for something made from quieter materials and wouldn’t need the frame.

I was dead set on switching from my badlands diablo dos to one of the MR packs. I was looking for something for whitetails with frame capability. Once I actually handled the MR packs in the store they just seem way too loud for treestand hunting. I would love to try a sitka pack but they are spendy for a pack with no frame...

md126

WKR
Sitka Cargo Box or maybe Tool Bucket. The old Flash 20 is also hard to beat.

That being said I use an Exo or a SG and they are awesome packs for anything you want to do, hunting or otherwise.

I hear the concerns about the MR packs being noisy. I'm a stillhunter in the NE woods of NY's Catskills and Downeast Maine. Been wearing a PU 28 the last 3 years. Shot deer last year and the year before. They never heard me. Could have shot a few this year, but I was holding out for a stud. I already had a Mule deer and half an antelope in the freezer.

When you guys sit in your trees, don't you just hang your pack for the day and leave it there?

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
Mystery Ranch makes a whitetail specific pack that looks to be very well thought out. But like eagle mountain man pointed out, a lot depends on exactly what you’re looking for, I hunt mountain white tails in east Tennessee and the majority if the time I’m hiking in a Mike or two deep and carrying a hang and hunt set up. When I kill something, I’m usually packing it out quartered so I need a framed pack so I use a pop up 28. But if I were only walking a few hundreds yards to designated stand sites I’d probably opt for something made from quieter materials and wouldn’t need the frame.
I do the same in my neck of the woods. Would be awesome to have both quiet and ability to haul quatered out

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
I hear the concerns about the MR packs being noisy. I'm a stillhunter in the NE woods of NY's Catskills and Downeast Maine. Been wearing a PU 28 the last 3 years. Shot deer last year and the year before. They never heard me. Could have shot a few this year, but I was holding out for a stud. I already had a Mule deer and half an antelope in the freezer.

When you guys sit in your trees, don't you just hang your pack for the day and leave it there?
Good to know. Yeah I do hang it and leave it but sometimes I'll want to grab food or a grunt tube or something. Sometimes I just bush against it and it's loud. I really liked my PU but it could definitely be improved

Hey man if you are hunting in the mountains I would suggest the Stryker XL with a couple pouches for items when you are in the tree stand. It is nice to be able to sandwich a deer or backpacking gear between the bag without compressing your main bag, plus you have the option of compressing them both. With the added Nalgene pockets I would say its the most versatile pack out they have for a tree stand mountain hunter.

Dont over think this.

Most guys running portable whitetail setups are using their climbing or hang on stands with crude shoulder straps to carry their clothes and small pack or bag to the tree.

The gear and food and drink you need for an all day sit will fit in a fanny pack.

Guys get all wrapped up in the western mindset and most whitetail hunting is nothing near that extreme of hunt.

In over 40 years of whitetail hunting like a maniac for nearly 5 months of season each year I have never seen one hunter headed in to hunt with the intention of carrying out a stand heavy clothes and a quartered deer on his back.

As I have aged I learned the value of my kifaru hunter frame and cargo panel. I quarter all my deer now instead of dragging them out. I also use the frame to carry in and set up preset stands and sticks on private property. I hunt with either a badlands super day or simple cabelas fleece fanny pack. I keep the kifaru in the truck till I kill a deer then I carry my stand out and return with kifaru frame and haul the deer out.

Sitka cargo box. It’s one of the best packs I’ve ever had. Very comfortable, very organized, easy to carry a stand/saddle/anything you’d need + clothes for late season, but not too bulky to work in early season. Sitka knocked this one out of the park.

Very happy with my MR pop up over the last 3 years. It is quiet enough for me and it has hauled a few quartered deer well. If hauling isn’t needed, that Sitka pack or a treehouse would be good options.

im looking at the shape charge. I know its spendy, but it looks to be bombproof and id hopefully never need a new pack after this. I saddle/treestand hunt in MN/WI. I know there are other threads about this pack but any thoughts?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Depends on how you hunt. There’s zero chance I’m taking my framed pack up a tree with me. I prefer the Blacks Creek All American. I’ve been using it for over a decade with no issues.