High fencing private land

Yoder

WKR
I see a lot of local hunting clubs fence their entire property with high fences deer can't over. I don't care what anyone does with their own property but what about the animals? The animals are owned by the public. By fencing them in you are basically taking them from everyone else. It would be different if they bought deer and raised them. I always wondered how this was legal. It seems like they should have to leave an opening so animals have the ability to leave. I'm not angry about it just curious. Anyone ever think about this or is it just me?

I see a lot of local hunting clubs fence their entire property with high fences deer can't over. I don't care what anyone does with their own property but what about the animals? The animals are owned by the public. By fencing them in you are basically taking them from everyone else. It would be different if they bought deer and raised them. I always wondered how this was legal. It seems like they should have to leave an opening so animals have the ability to leave. I'm not angry about it just curious. Anyone ever think about this or is it just me?
Deer get out and in all the time. It’s a deterrent for dispersal, not an absolute.

on non migratory herds I can see a value from a management perspective as a lot of HF have lower herd numbers and are more Carrying capacity friendly, there for being much more habitat friendly for all flora. I’ve seen some ranches that are 1 deer per 20 acres inside and outside on surrounding ranches be 1 deer per 7 acres, with a very very distinct browse line.

I don’t see any value in fencing migratory herds or the breeding industry. Those two create more issues then they are worth. But to each there own, IMO

With all these said your argument is based of what’s inside the perimeter and ignores what’s on the outside that’s no longer going across. Kind of projects about grass on the other side.

over all as a farmer I see a lot of value, has a hunter I see both sides. I neither agree or disagree. They address a lot of issues will creating different issues.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I know a guy who was going to do this in Illinois, they require letting/driving all the deer out before fully enclosed, not sure how you do that or if other animals are not included but that is what I was told.

He was basically going to leave a section open where there was nothing but crop fields for a long distance and keep a dog near the open area, not kidding!

As far as animals getting out, I doubt it's much of an issue, I don't think a guy is going to let really expensive animals escape!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I would think it would be illegal in most states as it is illegal in Nebraska and fines have been levied for people that have fenced in public game. If we try hard enough we can be like South Africa, I'd just as soon we didn't.

Fordguy

WKR
High fencing is a nuisance and I've had to deal with it for years. In the area where I hunt, you can high fence, but you have to have an area every 400 yards that is no more than 52" high for a deer crossing. This does nothing for turkeys however. You're also not legally allowed to fence below the high water mark on any sort of water/drainage/stream. The fence in the crossing areas must be visually unobstructed. The garbage I deal with every year violates all three of the rules mentioned.

OP
Y

Yoder

WKR
I'm good with it as long the animals can get out. In fact it makes funnels for deer travel on the edge of the property. I think the fences are ugly and I wouldn't do it if I had property but I'm a strong believer that it's your land, do what you want.

IdahoElk

WKR
Where do you live, I've never seen this before

LostArra

WKR
I wish I could find it again but I read where some states require the G&F to verify all wild animals are removed (escaped) before enclosing an area of a certain size with a high (deer proof) fence. You cannot "pen" wildlife anymore than you can keep wild deer in your house. Any deer within the enclosure must be purchased and are considered livestock (and probably marked with an appropriate branding, CWD). I don't think this was the case for all states.

Until I can find my source, just consider this hearsay.

OP
Y

Yoder

WKR
Where do you live, I've never seen this before
I live in the Poconos. There's a few clubs that have their property fenced. Not sure if it's continous or if they have low spots for deer. I was more curious on the legality of it.

I live in the Poconos. There's a few clubs that have their property fenced. Not sure if it's continous or if they have low spots for deer. I was more curious on the legality of it.

Beings that PA is full of deer farms, I'd assume it's legal, but not full of native deer....

I live in TX and own land in OK. Two different states, two ways to deal
with the high fence issue. Most places in TX bring in outside genetics and raise deer, some in small high fence places. But most are large acreage properties where the fence is more a deterrent than an enclosure. All normal stare hunting regs and seasons apply and deer and animals inside are still considered state property even if you bring the deer in from other places (you bought the breeder deer). The main reason people put up high fences in texas is to attempt to control the deer herd and/or prevent neighbors from shooting deer, as there are many small ranchettes in TX.
In OK, the stare requires you to leave a portion of the fence incomplete, and then the state does a drive to attempt to rid the property of all the native deer, at which time you can close the fence and then whatever is in the fence or whatever you bring in is essentially yours to do as ypu please. Hunting regs dont really apply but there are rules about record keeping and such. But you own the deer, and you can hunt them anytime. The main reason people high fence in OK is to control the herd and be able to gun hunt a longer part of the good hunting time.
Of course commercial hunting Operations use high fences to create an easier hunting situation for both states.
This is my meager undersranding of the high fence issue in the two states. I may be wrong on some of the issues, so dont take my words as gospel truth.

OP
Y

Yoder

WKR
Beings that PA is full of deer farms, I'd assume it's legal, but not full of native deer....
These aren't deer farms and I know they aren't bringing in deer. Just fenced in what was there.

Erict

WKR
Fencing is the easy part - I think it would take a lot of knowledge and work to ensure that the deer enclosed are in the right ratio and have the best genetics.

NY has a particularly interesting fenced area with deer inside - very neat if you never heard of it - SENECA WHITE DEER.