High Grade partial rotator cuff tear

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Since everyone knows the interweb is the best place to get medical info, I thought I would start here.

I had an MRI last week. The Dr office called and said I had a high grade partial thickness tear on a rotator cuff tendon. I do NOT know which tendon and will not see the Dr until Wednesday. The person who gave me the info was the office assistant and she just scheduled my appointment with the ortho. So I don’t have a lot of info yet. This is on my left (pulling) shoulder. Has anyone had this? Did you get surgery for a partial tear?

I’m pretty sure I have had this issue for the two prior seasons. 2017 was horrible. 2018 was not bad at all. This year has been just OK. I have been doing some exercises to strengthen the shoulder and it seems to help. I shot this AM and it feels great. It only flares up when I shoot several times a week and do a lot of pull-ups and chest. Anyone had to deal with this?

Vandy321

WKR
I'm not a doctor, but this is what I did.

I've torn a rotator cuff 3 seperate times (twice on one shoulder, once on the other)...all partial tears, one with an AC joint separation as well.

Rehabed at a good sports med clinic each time. I passed on the surgery the each time after the doc explained how limited my mobility would be afterwards.

I put it in a sling for 3 weeks, zero use/movement, just walked on the treadmill at an incline for 60 minutes a day (in the sling) to increase bloodflow and speed the healing process. Rehab was good. Ultrasounds 3 times a week to break up the scar tissue, arm bike, bands, etc, etc. After rehab, it's about 95%...full mobility, just a little sore every now and then when I sleep on it, and thats 5 years later.

If rehabbing on your own, some good stuff to follow on the internet for general daily shoulder stability/mobility exercises.

Last edited:
OP
D

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your reply! That is what I was hoping to hear! I have only had one surgery (knee) and I’m not real impressed with the results. Hopefully the Dr will recommend PT.

Thank you again for the info.

I have a partial with tear in my leafy shoulder that is at least 8 years old at this point. After having a full width tear repaired in my right shoulder I’m committed to avoiding another surgery as long as possible. I would avoid surgery in any event other than full width with significant disability (inability to raise arm over shoulder etc) in addition to pain.

Last edited:
OP
D

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Juan,

Thank you! That is what I was thinking. I appreciate your input.

cdowell

FNG
I think it all depends on the surgeon. I had a full tear and had to have surgery, that was 9 years ago and I have had zero pain and have full range of motion with it. I know I was able to get by for a long time with strengthening exercises, but they never fully heal without some sort of intervention.

OP
D

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. This has already been two years. I’m am curious to see what the Dr says.

Marble

WKR
I just had the labrum and rotator cuff repaired in January. I was 99% until last week when I fell forward in a softball game. Did something to it. I beleive an MRI is necessary and probably rehab.

I had no choice for my surgery.

But for surgeons, only have someone do the surgery that only does shoulders, big city, learning university, with very specific program protocol. Do not have a small town doctor who is a general surgeon do it.

For physical therapy, get a lot of recommendations before you choose a facility.

I was 18 when my left shoulder was torn up and repaired. Full thickness cuff and labrum. Surgeon said the scar tissue and fibrosis looked like that in a 55 year old. Go with the MD’s recommendations, but try and PT as long as you can. I had my surgery 13 years ago and I’ve had full motion. Intermittently have bad flare ups. Use of bands to warm up prior to lifting helps.

I rarely get under a bar anymore. Mostly do dumbbell press or plate
Loaded machines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Try 4-6 weeks of strengthening first. Unless it's an acute full thickness tear you should get referred to PT for conservative treatment first. If there's enough rotator cuff left it will go well and you will keep progressing and feeling better. If there isn't enough left you will hit a point that you just can't progress past due to weakness and pain, usually before the end of that time frame. At that point you decide if you have enough strength to be functional and live with it or go get surgery. Even if you end up getting surgery, recovery will go faster if you go into it with full range of motion and better strength. Whether it's an acute tear that is 2 years old or a degenerative tear could influence your chances of getting a good repair.

Google "the throwers ten" for a decent set of exercises to start with if you want to get a jump on it, but don't push through any pain above 2-3/10 or through any pain you perceive as sharp. You might not be able to complete all of them initially.

Last edited:
OP
D

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for you insight on this. I do appreciate your feedback. What sucks the most is this does control how often I can shoot. I’m looking forward to what the dr says.

Riplip

WKR
Good info above, I will add that I noticed a marked improvement when I eliminated pull ups, all chest and traditional shoulder pressing a work for six months (ie, bench press, push ups and overhead presses). I have slowly worked these exercises back in just not at the load and volume that I used to. I added significantly more rowing movements into my workouts in lieu of the pull ups, which are much better for your shoulders.

Concentrate on strengthening the shoulder girdle, flexibility/improving posture and the minor muscles that support the joint. Surgery sometimes is unavoidable, but obviously should be the last option. Good luck.

TJ

WKR
I had a partial tear in my right shoulder. After years of ignoring it, thinking it would go away, limiting my movements ( nothing overhead etc, etc,), not sleeping, taking aspirin, I went to the doctor. A week later I had the surgery.

Best thing I've ever done. Guess what! no more pain, no more babying the shoulder. I can do everything I want with no restrictions. Yes, rehab sucked.

Full disclosure, I am not an internet doctor!!

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I've re-injured my rotator cuff a couple weeks back. On top of that, I think I have a bicep and or lat tear and my whole right arm/hand tingles. Shooting a bow at crazy low poundage and light overhead db presses helped in the past, but I dunno about it this time.

OP
D

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
TJ, glad to hear that your surgery went well. It is encouraging to hear that these do have a good ending.

JBrew, that sounds rough! That is what sucks about this. When it flares up it is hard to work around.

Thank you for everyone that responded. I saw the ortho today. It went well. He looked at the MRI and did say there is a tear on the supraspinatus. He is suppose to be the best shoulder guy in the area. He said work on stabilizing the shoulders, work on the back muscles, quit doing so much bench and pull ups, also quit being a mangina, and go live my life.
We will see how it goes.

OLI62

FNG
Topping this thread because I had a MRI and found out yesterday I tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. Pretty sure I did it on an aoudad hunt in West Texas January of last year and exacerbated it this May hunting in NZ.

I realize everyone's recovery goes differently, but to those that had the surgery when were you able to start some kind of exercise regimen again? My surgery is scheduled for Oct. 16 this year. I'm going sheep hunting Aug. 1st of next year. I'm shitting bricks that this thing is going to set back my training for the sheep hunt.

jfs82

WKR
My dad tore his pulling hose as a firefighter, had the srugery and the scar tissue adhered to the bones in his shoulder, three years of work before he could raise his arm straight overhead with any load, early retirement. Tore mine a few years later in an MMA match, I passed on surgery after watching what Dad went through, I left it alone, immobilized for a feww eeks then started rehabbing it with light weights, bands and aggressive ice massages. It's still sore sometimes ten years later but generally it's fine and thats with plenty more years of fighting and lifting. I honestly find that just mentally accepting that my choices in life lead to some long term discomfort and that's ok makes it not too bad. I look back on earning that discomfort kinda fondly these days.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Most rehab protocols hold off of any resistance training with the shoulder until around the 10-12 week mark. At that point you'll be able to start light strengthening progression on the involved shoulder, probably 6-8 weeks before you'll have enough strength to start weight training or dynamic exercises with that shoulder, and it'll be starting with light weight. You'll be able to start with cardio and some core and leg workouts before then, but you will still be pretty limited with what you can do to protect the shoulder. You're probably looking at 5-6 months before you're back to intense dynamic workouts. I'd plan on 6 and plan from there, if you make it a little earlier it'll be gravy instead of frustration.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Try to get as much strength built up with what's intact prior to surgery and go into surgery with full range of motion, that'll help. You just have to be careful that you work the intact muscles without causing inflammation in the damaged tissue