High Power Bino vs Spotting Scope

Npento89

FNG
Looking for everyone's thoughts on pro's/con's of high powered binos vs spotting scope. Looking at getting 15X or 18X binos in lieu of a spotting scope. Also looking for suggestions on quality products that don't break the bank. Currently looking at Vortex Diamondback HD 15x56

Blue72

WKR
this is a tough debate with me....I love the comfort of two eye viewing, wider field of view, and brighter image with the dual “effective aperture“ that high powered binoculars provide. But I also like the slightly bigger image scale that a 30x scope can provide.

most times I always opt for the binoculars

OP
N

Npento89

FNG
this is a tough debate with me....I love the comfort of two eye viewing, wider field of view, and brighter image with the dual “effective aperture“ that high powered binoculars provide. But I also like the slightly bigger image scale that a 30x scope can provide.

most times I always opt for the binoculars
That is my thought, do you have any recommendations on bino's?

Blue72

WKR
That is my thought, do you have any recommendations on bino's?

I have tried many binocular formats (magnification and aperture) but I am not an expert on different brands

but one set that gets unnoticed. Is the Nikon monarch 5 16x56 and 20x56. Both can be had for a little over $500 from Japanese retailers on Amazon and EBay. People who have used them seem to have pretty good reviews. Plus they are one of the smallest 15/16x56 binoculars on the market right now

rclouse79

WKR
I started out with a entry/mid level spotting scope and didn’t enjoy looking through it for any period of time. I sold it and got some 15x binos that I could look through all day. Since I am not super interested in trophy quality, the binoculars fit my needs better.

For finding animals, binos, and larger binos the smaller the animal. For sorting out fine details after finding them, spotter.

Also know that as magnification increases, so does distortion and blurring. Sort of like blowing up a low-resolution photo or video on a bigger screen. So to get a large and good quality picture, you'll want to invest in good quality. I personally would draw the entry point to 15x binos at the Maven B5, Vortex HD, Sig 9, or best in that class: Meopta Meostar. Those can be found used for $1000-1200 used.

Block

WKR
You’re guna end up with a bit of everything eventually.. if you aren’t picky about the animal,, 15x will “find” you a lot more game than a scope

Blue72

WKR
I think this is a trend we will see more of.

spotters are ditched at most PRS matches these days, everyone is switching to high powered binoculars

although there will always be a place for spotters..