High pressure signs on “average charge loads”?

rayporter

WKR
i keep saying some day i am going to set up the ol chrony and the labradar at the same time and compare them- but it is a pain to set up the chrony now.

the labradar is as easy as unzip the case and remove it then open the legs and set it beside the rifle and shoot.

TexAg08

FNG
As many others on here have already said, it’s likely the Hornady brass. Same thing happened with my Hornady brass. Barely even mid range load, and ejector marks along with extractor marks start showing up. Chased it around for awhile and then bought some cheap Winchester brass. Problem gone, and no signs of pressure even to max loads. Primer pockets are staying strong, but I’ve only got 3 reloads on them. Little (actually a lot) more prep involved at first, but worth it for me with the cheaper cost overall.

Cliff notes - ditch the Hornady and get some harder brass, and your problem likely goes away.

I'm going to throw one more option out there. A couple years ago I had long established loads start throwing unexpected pressure signs. After much head scratching, I found the issue to be a solid carbon ring in front of the chamber. Although accuracy and velocity was fairly normal, the ring seemed to hold the bullet back long enough to build pressure and ruin brass. Some scrubbing in that area cured the problem.

It's an unusual issue, but worth a check.

Unlike others, I've had no issues with the limited Hornady brass I've loaded to date.

With a 20” barrel and suppressor,

I just saw this. I'm going to double down and say you NEED to check for a carbon ring. The specific cause of my high pressure issues was a suppressor. Even in a bolt rifle they cause additional carbon fouling. If this is the problem, a slow powder, harder brass, etc will only temporarily solve it. As the ring grows, you will see those pressure signs again. In my case, it was rock hard and a "regular" cleaning wouldn't touch it. Multiple soaks in a foaming bore cleaner and a some serious scrubbing with a bronze brush eventually dissolved it. I've kept on top of it since, and the problem has not re-occurred.

Take a look. Might be the easy fix.

OP
T
I just saw this. I'm going to double down and say you NEED to check for a carbon ring. The specific cause of my high pressure issues was a suppressor. Even in a bolt rifle they cause additional carbon fouling. If this is the problem, a slow powder, harder brass, etc will only temporarily solve it. As the ring grows, you will see those pressure signs again. In my case, it was rock hard and a "regular" cleaning wouldn't touch it. Multiple soaks in a foaming bore cleaner and a some serious scrubbing with a bronze brush eventually dissolved it. I've kept on top of it since, and the problem has not re-occurred.

Take a look. Might be the easy fix.

Where exactly should I been looking or the carbon ring?

The barrel only has maybe 100 shots on it. It was rebarreled by the manufacture after I shot about 300 rounds without being able to get it under a 1” grouping

The high pressure signs could be seen on Barnes factory ammo on the very first few shots through the barrel and I continue to see those signs. No excessive pressure but high pressure none the less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where exactly should I been looking or the carbon ring?

The barrel only has maybe 100 shots on it. It was rebarreled by the manufacture after I shot about 300 rounds without being able to get it under a 1” grouping

The high pressure signs could be seen on Barnes factory ammo on the very first few shots through the barrel and I continue to see those signs. No excessive pressure but high pressure none the less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you only have 100 shots on it, it may not be the issue. I didn't see anything until I had 600+, and I'm not sure how common that even is. What I saw was a black area directly at the end of the chamber neck when shining a light down the bore. It was amazingly hard and you might be able to feel it with a tight patch.

If you are seeing signs with factory rounds right away, that sounds more like an excessively tight bore or other manufacturing issue. Possibly fouling is pushing you over the edge, but if you were that close it already wasn't good.