High priced for sale items etiquette...

rob86jeep

WKR
Just curious, what's the proper etiquette. If someone posts something for sale but the price is higher then what is normal offered commercially, what is the best way to proceed? Should you PM them out of respect to respect the seller or publicly post to respect the potential buyers...?

I guess what I'm asking is does the Rokslide community respect the buyers rights or the sellers right more? I'm just trying to figure out if posting the normal "for sale price" of an item is wrong on a public forum when trying to buy something at a discount.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Discount sites that don't even have an item in stock don't represent market value, much less fair market value.

It would still be poor form, but you would have some grounds to stand on if it was priced above new, but when an item is only available on backorder new, that argument is also bull, if someone is willing to pay extra to have an item now, that is their choice.

Other buyers can google public information. As for saying you are negotiating, just buy it from the lower priced source.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have interest in buying it then plead your case privately and politely, have evidence to back your reasoning. Remember honest mistakes happen. Also if the item is inaccurately represented bring it to their attention.

Rich M

WKR
It is amazing how some folks put these crazy prices on items. What's even more amazing is that some "dude" might buy it at the high price cause he didn't do his homework.

If you want to make an offer - do it PM.

ChrisAU

WKR
What is crazy is that what the OP is referencing is two recently listed SWFA scopes, and his "offers" are out of pure ignorance on them - it's a very anti-capitalistic stance, for multiple reasons that have been ignored:

Yes, two years ago 3-9x42's could be had at $450-$460 on Samplelist or direct from SWFA during sales.

Since that time the demand for-firearms and firearm related items has increased vastly.

There have been no 3-9x42's for sale new at that level. Very, very few have made it to the website at $600 as SWFA is constantly filling backorders when shipments come in. Those shipments rarely cover backorders.

The secondary market has spoken, and with a few searches, one can easily determine that $500++ is very realistic for even used 3-9x42's right now.

The whole "I saw it cheaper here" point is almost always invalid because if that is true, then go buy it there if that is the price you want to pay. Almost always, and definitely in this circumstance, that isn't possible, and hasn't been for some time in this case.

I just paid $850 for a 1997 Winchester Model 70, which I considered a deal (257 Roberts). In 1997 I could have bought one for much less, and it would've been brand new! But, I didn't. OP is arguing that I should have offered the seller a normal retail price from that past and been perturbed if not accepted. That's just not how supply and demand work my friend.

Rich M

WKR
That explains it I guess.

Still see folks posting stuff at rates that that can easily be purchased for less. The solution if to buy it for less and refrain from trying to educate the seller who may just be hoping for someone to "just buy" the item at a higher price. Ebay is known for this.

I think the original poster is actually seeking honest feedback. I read the other posts regarding the Rifle scope. If someone is new to forums like these they may not see anything ill thought about that. I have made that honest mistake in the past as well. I don’t remember the exact details but somebody was trying to sell a pair of used boots for more than they could buy them online as they were on sale at that time. I see how that is rude to interrupt somebody’s thread therefore I do not respond anymore. Hopefully just an honest mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As to Ebay, I have to think some money laundering is going on there. I have seen stuff in the past (pre Covid) advertised at 2-3 times what you could get them for at that time thru normal channels. I see no other explanation other than laundering.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've also seen people giving others grief over their prices as well.
It's really really simple........
Don't buy it.

Randy

ETtikka

WKR
Research current market prices and availability, a samplelist price for a demo (potentially damaged scope) from the good ole days does not apply unless u can buy that scope now.
In general if every low balled a sell publicly, it’s sets up for most people backing away and then the deal usually falls through, as mentioned send your offer via PM

mlgc20

WKR
The etiquette is to just move on. Nobody's job to protect potential buyers. It's usually low-ballers that think something is priced too high. If you are interested in the item and it is available cheaper somewhere else, go buy it there. Leave people's classified listings alone.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
Simple supply and demand will take care of the price...just move along and let it happen. Sometimes there are people who need something right away and said product might fit the bill...and paying a few bucks extra for something that may be out of stock online doesn't make a difference to a buyer. I know it's happened like that for me. Let the consumer be the consumer and the market price will take care of itself.