High priced for sale items etiquette...

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Man, I didn't realize so many people would be upset about it. But for the record, I wasn't trying to be price police, I do want to buy the item but was hoping I could get it cheaper. If not, then i'll wait for another sale as I don't "need" it right away. I guess PM's are the best way for this moving forward. Thanks for the people who provided honest feedback.

ChrisAU

WKR
Man, I didn't realize so many people would be upset about it. But for the record, I wasn't trying to be price police, I do want to buy the item but was hoping I could get it cheaper. If not, then i'll wait for another sale as I don't "need" it right away. I guess PM's are the best way for this moving forward. Thanks for the people who provided honest feedback.

I apologize if I came across coarse. To put it more plainly, me and a lot of others here aren’t selling used hunting gear because we are swimming in money lol. On the flip side, neither is anyone who is cruising for used gear. But in general pricing on a forum is going to self regulate and exemplify capitalism…things only sell when a buyer is willing to pay.

sndmn11

WKR
There are also the instances when someone will only feel it is worth it to them to sell above the old market, or worth it to them to buy below the old market. There is nothing wrong with either approach.
I saw the threads in question, I wonder if the items were underpriced, if there would have been a higher offer stating what they regularly sell for?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-although I see it ALL the time on here, where people try and sell USED items for new prices, or 90% of new- I laugh, and figure they will eventually realize that they are being unrealistic. Is it annoying when they post "bump/TTT" or my favorite! "PM's replied" Dude-NOBODY PM'd you for your used item that is the same cost or more of new online!
My personal rule is 60%....when selling or buying USED, its a great price point for both the seller who will recoup more than half, and the buyer who takes a gamble buying used and saves enough that makes it worth it. What people need to realize is, buying USED is just that. No matter the condition, it's not from a retailer or manufacturer and generally has no return period and or warranty. So, their "NWOT" item does nothing for me, as its used. Anything above 70% of retail/online, I'll pay extra for NEW and warranty and ability to return.
However, doing the price police thing is a waste of time-let them learn.

TSAMP

WKR
OP-although I see it ALL the time on here, where people try and sell USED items for new prices, or 90% of new- I laugh, and figure they will eventually realize that they are being unrealistic. Is it annoying when they post "bump/TTT" or my favorite! "PM's replied" Dude-NOBODY PM'd you for your used item that is the same cost or more of new online!
My personal rule is 60%....when selling or buying USED, its a great price point for both the seller who will recoup more than half, and the buyer who takes a gamble buying used and saves enough that makes it worth it. What people need to realize is, buying USED is just that. No matter the condition, it's not from a retailer or manufacturer and generally has no return period and or warranty. So, their "NWOT" item does nothing for me, as its used. Anything above 70% of retail/online, I'll pay extra for NEW and warranty and ability to return.
However, doing the price police thing is a waste of time-let them learn.
I agree with this and operate the same. But I've also been guilty of tossing somthing on for 10-15% off thinking if it doesn't sell thats fine I'll just keep it. I honestly don't care if it sells, I feel good that I made an attempt to offload some gear. I think we all know what to do here. Move along. Unless it's an obvious error and then polite PM.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Here is the thing. They were avaliable at one time through sample list for those dollars. That time is passed and they are $600 now new from SWFA AND on perpetual backorder. I thought the prices were fair in this market. If you dont like the new market wait and maybe it will go back down. However your offers were lowballs IMO and that is irritating as a seller especially because you have shown that you arent up to date on the item you are trying to lowball. A little bit of research on what is and is NOT avaliable on your side would go a long way towards negative interactions. When someone lowballs me I just make a note not to sell to them even if they offer full asking dollars in the next offer.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of items from forums and other online places.

I’ve never been upset with a lowball offer made to me, I’ve bought things after making a lowball.

If I list something for sale I have a price I will sell it for in my head most times I will list it for a little more but not always. There are items I’ll make a lowball on that I don’t need but would buy at a certain price.

This should always be done via PM!

only thing that should go on original post is, I’ll take it and PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you've gotten good feedback. I would agree that it's good etiquette to PM under asking offers. I also don't think you would have gotten the feedback you did if your use of samplelist pricing example was relevant to the current market value of these scopes.

I've been waiting for a warranty replacement SWFA 3-9 since December. There is a demand for them at retail price and they haven't had a scope to even offer to that demand in over 9 months.

Hell, I just bought a 2019 ATV and probably paid more than the seller paid for it new. But that's where the market is and I needed an ATV.

I put gougers in the same bucket that I put pawn shop owners and loan sharks(sometimes they are the same person). Yes, its capitalism...but despicable. I have not and will not, be one of them. Be honest, or be nothing.

MattB

WKR
I put gougers in the same bucket that I put pawn shop owners and loan sharks(sometimes they are the same person). Yes, its capitalism...but despicable. I have not and will not, be one of them. Be honest, or be nothing.
If you were to sell your house today, would you sell it for what you paid for it or for current market value?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Sharp difference between selling something for what its worth and what you paid for it in 2018.......
Just what it is for guns and ammo and components in this day and age.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Yes, but the OP is talking about people selling nearly new items for under retail, in this case more than $100 under the price of new. I put skinflints who refuse to pay what an item is worth and badger others over it in the same bucket as gougers.

Part of the reason to buy quality is that the item holds its value. People who want to pay trash used prices should stick with trash brands.

I was selling sone cabelas gift cards a year or so ago. At about 80% of the cards value. A fella pm’er me telling me that eBay had sellers for 50% of the price. Told me he was just letting me know. I appreciated it.

bozeman

WKR
True, but I always get a kick out of the trade offers........I found your 'product here for $xxx', but its out of stock (much lower price) and I want to trade you my product for $xxx (here is a website it is on.......highest price they can find on the internet)......yours is used, and mine is used, but I keep it like new....blah blah blah.......cracks me up. lol

CorbLand

WKR
Are people upset or did you just not get the response you wanted?

You didnt ask what the proper way to make an offer for an item was. You asked how to proceed if someone had an item priced higher than normal. Those are two very different questions that will have different responses.

The way you asked it sounds like you were wanting to let people know that you feel their item is priced too high. Which if your not interested in the item, is really none of your business. If you are interested, shoot them a PM and say "hey I found it here for this price would you be willing to match it or even take XXX." If they say "no," move on. My inbox is full of PMs where we couldn't come to an agreement.

The seller has the right to sell or not sell their product for any price. The buyer has the right to buy or not buy their product for any price. The seller owes the buyer the product that was sold and the buyer owes the seller the agreed upon price. Nothing more and nothing less.

Let the S&D system work. I also don't see it as anyone's business what something is bought and sold for except for the seller or potential and legitimate buyer. The numbers will always work themselves out.

Would you message someone to tell them that they are undervaluing their item or would you just buy it? It would only be fair if you are going to advise them of a high price that you advise them of a low price, right?

As far as lowballers are concerned, I read somewhere a long long time ago that it is disrespectful to offer someone less than 85% of their asking price. For some reason it stuck and I've gone by those parameters ever since. If you are within 15% of each other, than you are at a negotiable level.

And nothing is worse than arguing with someone about the value of what you have. No good can come out of that conversation. That or someone showing up in person without the agreed upon funds.

Selling used stuff is a necessary evil as I upgrade my gear. I understand the idea of sunk costs, but there is a concept called the sunk cost fallacy for a reason.

My main purpose of trying to sell things is to recoup something of what I paid in order to fund other purchases, and free up room in the gun safe/garage. I recently had a double stroller the old lady needed to get rid of. Retail was around $275. I listed it on another forum for $75, after 3 days, I lowered the price to $50, another 3 days, $25. After another few days, I listed it as $1 just to get rid of it. I had "price police" all over the tread asking why I don't just give it away etc. I explained that if I charge SOMETHING, people are more likely to show up when they say, and take it. After 2 weeks, it went in the dumpster. I mention this because the other cost of selling something is dealing with the messages, shipping, inconveniences.

If I am looking for something cheaper than the original post, I will PM the seller, and explain that I'm bargain shopping. I'll put out an offer and explain that I understand it is lower than the asking price. If the seller doesn't sell the product for asking price, after a few weeks, occasionally they will reply to the PM and sell or offer a counter offer just to get rid of it.