High quality leather boots for whitetail

magstar67

FNG
I’ve always used Muck or Lacrosse type rubber boots for whitetail but want to try a regular leather hunting boot. I think I want to use a insulated boot with a leather upper and will probably use gaiters with them (which I have never used either). I’m hoping to go elk hunting in the next year or two also so I’m trying to find one that will work for both. Have been looking at Kennetrek and Crispi and similar level of quality boots. I’m in Missouri so there aren’t any stores around here that sell these quality level boots.

Right now I’m on the Crispi Wild Rock GTX w/ 400g Primaloft insulation (10” boot) but not dead set on it just hear a lot of good things about Crispi boots.

Anyone have any input?

TIA

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I both hunt in Schnees Beartooth, really like them, mine uninsulated and her's 200 grams. She does think hers are tight width wise, mine are my hunting flip flops, very comfortable. We use Hunter II in heavy snow.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I run Crispi's. Have 4 different pairs. Nevada's, Idaho's, Guide's and Wild Rock's. They are all great boots for different uses. The Wild Rock's are Crispi's most insulated model.

Which model you choose depends on your particular situation.

For lots of hiking down to temps in the 40s I really favor the Idaho's. Very lightweight, flexible yet supportive, and comfortable.

For sitting more than hiking and when it gets cold I like the Wild Rock's.

For me, if I had to pick one "do it all" pair out of the models I own (which represent a pretty solid cross section of their line) I'd probably pick the Guide's. Very usable as a stand sitting boot (unless really cold), and yet not too insulated for warmer hunts involving a lot of hiking.

And I find that Crispi's fit my feet well and are comfortable to me. But not everyone feels this way. So you could fall in either of these camps.

Black Ovis is a Crispi dealer (and Rokslide sponsor). They carry the full lineup of Crispi's and have a great return policy. As long as you wear them only indoors you can return them no problem. You could order a couple of different pairs, keep what works (or not) and send back those that don't. And they offer a discount to Rokslide members....

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots out West, but wouldn't like them for hunting here.

I bought some Danner Pronghorn 400g boots before last season. They are very comfortable and seem to be well built.

I have some Cabela's Mendel Ultralights with 400 g of Insulation that work well for Deer Hunting. I really love them for all year use. They didn't perform as well on my elk hunt last year given the amount of Snow. I'll be looking at the Perfekt Hunter's before the next time I head out west.

Don't know much about Schnees or Kenetreks, though I know about their price tags.

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to Crispi's last year and I won't be going back anytime soon. They have great ankle support and wear very well. I mostly use mine here on the east coast and haven't had an issue in rocky terrain or terrain filled with dead fall.

Pagashaw

FNG
I wore lowa tibet for whitetails last year and just used them for elk in Colorado. They are a great boot and still have lots of life left but I got a pair of crispi summits for something different to try this early season archery. I use to wear rubber boots for whitetails but my feet always got too hot and weren't very comfortable. A good leather boots and gaiters are a killer combo I think.

Lowg08

WKR
I do not like rubber boots in general. I wear meindls myself. I am in the market for a new pair and I will be doing much more hiking. I’ve been considering the vakuum hunter non insulated and the comfort fit hunter for insulated

1000yrds

FNG
I hunt in Hawaii and Minnesota and use Danner Pronghorns and love them. Don't know if the deer can smell them, but I have had good success and they are super comfortable.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I almost always hunt with rubber boots. However, if I'm going to wear a leather boot it's either going to be a Danner Pronghorn or I have just purchased a pair of Crispi West River GTX's and will put them through their paces this winter.

I did the same thing and switched to a single boot that I use for whitetail, elk, turkeys, everything. I went with the Lowa Hunter GTX. It's a tall leather with gortex and 400g primaloft. Gives some insulation for when it's cold and I never notice my feet getting hot but others might. Ran them during New Mexico archery elk and had no problems. Only downside to them is they're a little heavy / cumbersome but that pretty much comes with all insulated boots

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

unclerichie724

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Cabela's leather treestand boots. 400g insulation, Gore Tex, and add boot blankets when it hits cold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bonnsaw2

FNG
Danner pronghorns are super comfortable right out of the box but they just don’t last rocky Mountains in AZ

wihunter1

FNG
What season of elk hunting? We put on 60+ miles on a 10 day hunt and there's NO way you can use an insulated boot. Socks are a HUGE difference maker as well. Cotton kills and darn tough marino hiker socks made my feet happy. I'd suggest get light & waterproof for elk. Remember, Cabela's has 90 day return policy so you can test a whole season and change return if not happy. Don't abuse the policy but it's there for a reason. Just my .02

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jrg_80

FNG
I’ve had great success with Lowa’s line.

jrg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: