High Sierra Ramble

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My 15 day trip into the Sierra's got cut in half when my buddy in California (and his family) contracted covid, but we squeezed in some damn good country nonetheless :)

Day 1 started out with a $hit show trying to get "walk up" permits, walk up is in quotes as that's the way they have them listed- you no longer walk up but book them online. We messed around a half day before finally securing permits and headed for the Kearsarge Pass trailhead, late, but better than never!

Pretty good grind up through the pass, we dropped into the chain of lakes and called it a day.

ccHtyIt.jpg

Sk9XrK1.jpg

Day 2 we head for 60 Lake Basin via Glenn Pass and then off trail over Rae Col. The backside of Rae Col proved to be extremely tedious w/ lots of hopping (carefully) from granite block to granite block. We found out that the lakes had been gill netted in an attempt to reestablish a near extinct frog population, so we swam instead :)

NN0YxAt.jpg

Day 3 we headed to the upper reaches of 60 Lakes to confirm out suspicions- gill nets in the very upper lake. We were now headed for the Gardiner Basin via 60 Lakes Col. Fortunately Gardiner Lakes still held trout- Golden Trout; we all caught fish (Tenkara rods) and had enough to make fish tacos :D

7glrZOj.jpg

CbRbmmp.jpg

aOL2rgb.jpg

Day 4 we headed further into Gardiner Basin and then to Charlotte Lake via Gardiner Pass. This was a tough day (15-ish miles and mostly of trail) and didn't;t hit the lake until near dark.

r3lsv8w.jpg

2h6FimH.jpg

e89q7us.jpg

cont'd

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 5 has us headed for Forester Pass (13,200') and beyond. Saw a wide buck just out of Charlotte Lake. All trails today, but Forester Pass kicked our asses pretty good. Big storm was rolling in quick so we quite where we were and called it a day.

EmY5MML.jpg

djAyJL6.jpg

scoSSBf.jpg

Day 6 we head cross country for the Upper Kern Basin. We found another lake that held fish, this time rainbows and a little bigger. Crazy wind that evening had me occasionally hanging onto the trekking pole holding up my tent!

malDWQ4.jpg

iPRbLRT.jpg

efzeDth.jpg

Day 7 we continue down the Kern Basin and then make a swing towards (and over) Shepherd Pass to Anvil Camp.

XySPykb.jpg

ZdF8bGJ.jpg

4YEONjK.jpg

Day 8 we were up early to finish the 10-ish miles to the trailhead and a reward of burgers and beer! :)

RKkrk5g.jpg

bUhhXx2.jpg

"Day 9"- Malibu Beach :ROFLMAO:

298ph9a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ride up and cool pics. Looks like a fun trip. Living vicariously through posts like this. Keep ‘em coming please.

MattB

WKR
Thanks for sharing and glad you were able to experience the variety CA has to offer. Great state…..except for all the Californians (most of whom aren’t from here). 😀

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

Thanks for sharing and glad you were able to experience the variety CA has to offer. Great state…..except for all the Californians (most of whom aren’t from here). 😀

Cali definitely has a lot to offer, probably more than most folks would know. My buddy lives a little ways out of LA and he said he's been snowshoeing in the San Gabriels in the morning and surfing in the afternoon :D

We were in the Sierra's for eight days and we barely even scratched it. I really like the fact that there are numerous large basins that don't have any trails into them, you'll work to get into (and out) of them- but they'll be all yours :)

Thanks for the (my) backyard pics. One knee surgery down (still healing) and one more to go, then I'll be back out there sporting Cyberdyne Industries Chitanium.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Excellent- Johnny Horton is the man! :)

Thanks for the (my) backyard pics. One knee surgery down (still healing) and one more to go, then I'll be back out there sporting Cyberdyne Industries Chitanium.

God speed on your recovery- you've got some great country there!

God speed on your recovery- you've got some great country there!
Thanks!!!!!!

I have had a tough past 3 years with one medical issue or another, but I am almost all fixed up. I miss last season. I might miss this season, I don't know yet. I am hoping to schedule very late December or early January; I just don't know if I can hold out that long. But I will be back out there again and plan or trying my best to wear this Chitanium out.

JohnnyB

WKR
Excellent write up, thanks for sharing. Get back out here during a season and try some real “western hunting”!

Curious if you had any altitude issues? The highest places I hunt in the zones just north of where you were top out around 11k. Coming up for a day hunt from 80’ I will occasionally get a slight headache but usually I just feel it in terms of breathing.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents!

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing. Get back out here during a season and try some real “western hunting”!

Curious if you had any altitude issues? The highest places I hunt in the zones just north of where you were top out around 11k. Coming up for a day hunt from 80’ I will occasionally get a slight headache but usually I just feel it in terms of breathing.

No altitude illness, but was a little worried about it. I live at ~ 4500' and hike almost daily to around 6000', guessing that helped a little.

Now I will say that as we approached several passes in the 12,000-13,000+' range, I could tell I had to pull it back a gear (or two)- definitely not as much "gas" at that elevation.

We did pass several folks on the way up to Forester Pass, many were literally doubled over gasping. I think they were simply pushing too hard. I was more like the turtle, slow and steady :D

Dang. That's impressive and I am a bit jealous. Thank you for the motivation. Those are some High quality miles.