Sold High Tech Customs .338-06 AI Rifle Built on 1980 Win M70 Action. Full Package w/ Ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is a custom .338-06 Ackley rifle built by Rich Reiley at High Tech Customs. The foundation is a 1980-vintage Winchester Model 70 receiver. Of course, the action was blueprinted. It wears a #5 Lilja straight-fluted barrel that is 25” total length including the brake. The brake is Rich’s signature slim-line brake, which is threaded. The bolt is spiral fluted. I’m unsure on the brand of trigger, but it has zero creep and pulls at 3 lbs 2 oz. average of 5 pulls. I’m not 100% sure on the stock brand, but Rich made his own stocks in the early days before selling his molds and technology to Bansner. The stock is painted black with tan speckles and has a nice sculptured cheekpiece. The receiver is nicely bedded into the stock. The stock also wears a Caldwell pic rail bipod adapter. The LOP is 13-3/4” and the stock wears a Decellerator pad in excellent condition. All the metal is in black Cerakote. The complete rifle weighs 7 lbs. 5.3 ounces. The only blemishes anywhere on this rifle are some wear on the fluted bolt shaft, normal scope mount tracks on top of the receiver that your mounts will cover, and two very small scrubs on the bottom of the bolt handle. That’s it. The barrel, stock and bottom metal have zero blemishes.

I have not fired this rifle since I bought it, so I can’t attest to the round count or accuracy. Because of the unique caliber, it’s probably safe to say the round count is low. Rich’s rifles are guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with premium ammo and I’m sure this one will meet that requirement. The only reason I’m selling it is I bought a Honda Pioneer last week and some toys have to go.

I’m selling this rifle as a package. This is what you get:
  • The custom .338-06 AI rifle
  • A set of $175 Redding dies, the 3-die set number 84437.
  • A full box of Weatherby factory .338-06 ammo in 210gr Partitions
  • 50 Norma fireformed .338-06 AI brass with a handful primed.
  • 13 standard Hornady .338-06 brass ready for loading and fireforming
  • 26 Hornady .338 185gr GMX bullets
The package price is $1,750 shipped. If you don’t want the ammo, dies and components, we can negotiate a lower price. At this time I'm really looking to sell. But if you have a lightweight bolt rifle you'd like to offer in trade, I'm listening. I could use a 7mm-08. The rifle will ship from an individual to your FFL with appropriate ID enclosed. The remaining package components will be shipped directly to you. Shipping to Alaska will be $30 more. I accept Paypal FnF, Venmo and USPS money orders. Folks, don’t let this custom .338-06 AI get away. Rich builds an awesome rifle. His slim line brake will tame the recoil very nicely. And you’ll get a box of regular .338-06 ammo to get you started hunting right away. This is cross-posted. Thanks for looking and drop me a PM if you have questions or need more photos. If I can get someone to reply to this thread, I'll post 10 more photos. Thanks!

Keith

IMG_1292.jpgIMG_1304.jpgIMG_1293.jpgIMG_1294.jpgIMG_1295.jpgIMG_1296.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1300.jpgIMG_1310.jpgIMG_1314.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think so. Plus the buyer gets everything to get started. Those Redding dies are expensive! More pics:

IMG_1299.jpgIMG_1301.jpgIMG_1302.jpgIMG_1306.jpgIMG_1307.jpgIMG_1308.jpgIMG_1312.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1303.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 56
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would gladly trade you something for the factory box of ammo...im a reloader and have factory Weatherby brass for my Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight in 338-06 but it would be nice to have a factory box of ammo.....just because. The person buying this rifle is likely going to be a reloader and is highly unlikely to shoot the fairly expensive ammo in an AI chamber anyways. Just saying.

OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Woody, thanks for asking but I think I'd like to keep it all together at this point. With ammo and components on the scarce side, I'd think the buyer would like to have something that goes bang right away, even if they are fireforming the Weatherby brass. I'm happy to sell you the whole package! Might even find you a "Pennsylvania Friend Discount" if you did. :cool:

Let's try $1,750 shipped for everything.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ramblin99

WKR
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
SDHNTR, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Never owned a CRF rifle in my life and killed most everything I ever shot at. At 63, I don't think I'll ever go to Africa and need CRF when the quarry can kill me if I don't kill it. But I respect that everyone has their personal preferences. I've never given CRF a moments thought in over 50 years of whitetail hunting.

But it is a nice rifle and a helluva bargain at $1,700 shipped. :)

SDHNTR

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I hear ya. And totally understand. It’s not necessary in 99.9% of hunting situations. I’m just a bit of a Model 70 snob. I have a push feed one too of similar vintage and it’s a fine rifle, action is slick as snot and it shoots itty bitty groups, but it hardly leaves the safe as I just love the nostalgia of the pre 64 action. Classic or original. There’s just something I love about watching that big claw extractor work.

I meant no disrespect to your fine rifle. It’s a hell of a deal with that quality build.

Last edited:

cooperjd

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My Richie rifle i had built this year shot 0.3" with damn near 0 load development with hammer bullets. it shot just under 1" at 200y with factory ammo during barrel break-in. Richie's rifles are awesome. He is a master machinist first, gunsmith second, though he's been building guns his entire life.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My Richie rifle i had built this year shot 0.3" with damn near 0 load development with hammer bullets. it shot just under 1" at 200y with factory ammo during barrel break-in. Richie's rifles are awesome. He is a master machinist first, gunsmith second, though he's been building guns his entire life.
Yep, and he's done great work on my Frankenbow too. When my top limb bolt on my bow stripped out the riser, I took it to Richie to drill it, tap it, and put in a helicoil. And he didn't even charge me. In fact, I can tell that the bottom bolt is about to do the same thing so I'm planning another visit over so he can do the same to the bottom as well. 3D season will be here quickly.

jwatts

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I've been wanting a 338-06 for a while. I sure wish I had something to trade with you. Heck of a nice gun. Good luck with the sale.

cooperjd

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Man I've been wanting a 338-06 for a while. I sure wish I had something to trade with you. Heck of a nice gun. Good luck with the sale.
find the cash. if i didnt' just buy the .340wby Keith was selling i'd buy this one. This is a great price for the rifle, it would cost WAY more to get it new.

jwatts

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find the cash. if i didnt' just buy the .340wby Keith was selling i'd buy this one. This is a great price for the rifle, it would cost WAY more to get it new.
The bad part is, this gun is just a few hours up the road for me too. Mighty tempting.

cooperjd

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm checking the fedex tracking site like a crack addict today waiting on delivery of my .340. Keith was great to deal with. The dies/ammo and stuff showed up today, exactly as described.

SDHNTR

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Nice rifle.....not sure about the caliber though....
Phenomenal cartridge! Not a creature in North America I’d hesitate for a second hunting with that round. Plus it has cool factor. With the dies and extras, this a a smoking deal. Are you seriously questioning the functionality of the .338 cal?

Status
Not open for further replies.