High Uintas

I got a really good friend that works in Provo as a police officer. Looking one day to go on a hunt with him in the High Unitas. Something about reading a little on the place has me drawn in.

Don’t even have a Utah license or tag just curious about this range. What makes it different, the topography, if there is any sort of type of vegetation that’s extremely prevalent there. That sort of thing. Does it get beat up by lots of pressure? I guess maybe PMs would be better on info so as to not make the world flock there if there are particular interests in the range.

Very interested in the place and my buddy is like super cop so he doesnt do the research like I do. Thanks in advance.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's one of the few any bull elk units in the state so yes it gets pressure. There is steep and deep in there though so if that's your thing you can make some elbow room. Rifle or archery? I'm predicting any weapon elk tags sell out early this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
About 40 years ago I spent 2 weeks hopping around to the different lakes fishing. We were way the hell in, up over grow line getting to the first lake. Never saw anybody else at the time. Fish were huge but stunted from over population. Probably not like that now. Seen a lot more elk in Idaho than I did Utah. Rag horns mostly though

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
It's one of the few any bull elk units in the state so yes it gets pressure. There is steep and deep in there though so if that's your thing you can make some elbow room. Rifle or archery? I'm predicting any weapon elk tags sell out early this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Probably won’t be this year man. But steep and deep is most def. what I usually try for anywhere. Not the best strategy to kill bulls but it’s just as much about conquering peaks as well for me at least.

My buddy is SWAT he’s the same looking to climb some peaks hopefully find a bull and have a nice suck fest in the process.

I’m also looking one day to relocate back out west after a few years and me and the wife overly loved Utah.

It would definitely be Rifle.

Sled

WKR
in the uintas there is quite a bit of pressure and elk are usually in micro herds. during hunting season i rarely see more than 5 or 7. after that, i'll see a dozen or so in the lower mtns at a time ( cow or bachelors) and a hundred of so in the farmers fields. but back to your question, it can be a fun hunt up there but hunting is often about patterning the people more than the animals (except the sheep). if you are looking for solitude you really need to study the trails. the further you go the more chances you'll see horse hunter. within a mile of a road or atv trail you'll see a fair number of hunters during rifle season. it's quite a sight to see the orange army moving up the hill from a distance. use their pressure and you'll see elk.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
in the uintas there is quite a bit of pressure and elk are usually in micro herds. during hunting season i rarely see more than 5 or 7. after that, i'll see a dozen or so in the lower mtns at a time ( cow or bachelors) and a hundred of so in the farmers fields. but back to your question, it can be a fun hunt up there but hunting is often about patterning the people more than the animals (except the sheep). if you are looking for solitude you really need to study the trails. the further you go the more chances you'll see horse hunter. within a mile of a road or atv trail you'll see a fair number of hunters during rifle season. it's quite a sight to see the orange army moving up the hill from a distance. use their pressure and you'll see elk.

thanks man appreciate it. You guys seeing wolves up in there yet?

Sled

WKR
The FS says no. But I've had them in my spotter and the udot guys have photos of them much closer to people than they care to admit. I don't think they are here in numbers but there are a few that pass thru from time to time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A big part of the Uinta's mountains is the North and South slope units. Utah allocates 15,000 tags to nonresidents for the Anybull, any weapon hunt. Though there are lots of general bull units in Utah, I would bet 7,000 of those hunters end up in the Unitas so yea, it gets a you know what load of hunters. I believe the tags go on sale in July, first come first served. Last year they sold out in about two weeks. Locals for the most part are pretty tight lipped about where they hunt. There is a ton of road hunting going on but plenty of hunters that also hike back in some and lots of folks on horses as well. There are Elk there but don't expect to take home a monster on public land in the general (anybull) hunt. They do have some nice draw units though but I believe they are weighted toward residents. https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/top-utah-general-rifle-elk-units/