Highcountry Mule Deer Optic Setup

But piggy backing off my last comment, 15’s on a tripod were NOT enough many times this year when I was looking to see if there was any animals bedded near one I spotted, if a bull is 285 or 300 from over a mile away, etc without my spotter.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you already have 12’s, I’d go with a spotting scope. I’ve done 10’s, 15’s and a spotter. 10’s and a spotter. Only 15’s. 15’s and a spotter. The 12’s plus a spotter is my next combination and I think it’s going to be hard to beat for the country and style we hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am curious the pros/cons and what is the best overall highcountry backpack hunting style optic setup. I currently am using Leupold BX-4 12x50s, but at times want some more power for those further distances. I will state for me i'm not judging inches, I just want to be able to identify a buck and his frame.

I am going back and forth between the following setups:

1. 15x56s slc only. down side they are heavy on chest and on a stalk or handholding they will be pretty much useless.

2. 10x42slc with a 65M swaro spotter. I feel i would be doing most of my glassing with the 10s which again would leave me wanted for further distances and I am not a huge fan of glassing with only 1 eye using the spotter.

3. 12x50 ELs maybe by themselves or pairing with 65M spotter.

If funds allow, I'd go 12x50 ELs (LOVE mine) and a good spotter and be done with it. If you need something for more hand held use you can always add a pair of 8 power binos. If you really like your current 12s, keep them and buy an alpha spotter.

fatrascal

WKR
If you are not concerned that much with weight then keep your 12"s and get a 65mm spotter and get used to using one eye. If weight is an issue then forget the 65mm spotter and go with the Kowa 553 which as stated above is 28 ounces and it has a zooming power of 15 to 45. Slick sprint tripod is 1.9 pounds with tripod head. I love my BTX but personally would never back pack hunt with it but for those that do take it into the high country are enjoying optic heaven. Fatrascal.

OP
F
Buying new glass this spring and decided to read through all these comments to help narrow it down for me. I’ll be honest I’m still undecided. Considering money I’m probably leaning towards 10 SLCs and pair with a good spotter. I really like that EL 12s but for a little bit more money I can get 10 SLC and a spotter which seems more versatile.

I've been using the 12x50 el's exclusively, and intensively over the past year. Chest rig, free hand often & tripod mounted every time I stop for longer. I found myself needing a bit more reach for mid day bedding glassing, as well as confirmation at longer distance for bucks. I really wanted to get the swaro atx but cannot shell out 4k for that given how infrequently I will use a spotter. So, I got an 85mm for $750. Vortex razor gen 1. Get em while they're still around...

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If your gonna carry a spotter, I suggest taking the weight penalty and packing at least an 80mm or more.
I have packed and used the Kowa 553 & Swaro ATX 65 (w/25-50 eyepiece) and both left me needing more clarity and magnification at less than the distances you mention glassing. However, many times I am trying to pick up animals that are bedded in thicker cover.

12ELs and Kowa 553 have been my go too as mostly a spot with 12s and confirm with kowa setup. When animals are on their feet and with the sun at my back, I can find game very effectively with the 12s on tripod. When checking areas while on the move, they are ok for quick scans but benefit from kneeling and balancing them on a treking pole. With a pirate patch I developed some spotter proficiency finding game at long distance with one eye, but depth perception with one eye becomes a limiting factor and mid day heat waves prevent mags over 30. Lots of guys dont use a spotter, and if you are already in a place that has game or you know where the animals usually are, hunting timber or you're not keen on studying antlers, a spotter isnt needed. In a new unit, in limited time, in low game density areas, throwing up a spotter to look at the next mountain/ridge/valley can get you on animals. Ive never understood the "spotters see too far to hunt anyway crowd". Im going to tote the BTX and 85 with 12ELs next year on day hunts and 1 or 2 night spike out hunts, and will be keeping the kowas for longer duration backcountry hunts. I havent used the BTX for mid day deer glassing yet, but Im tickled at the prospect.

All you need are those 12s on a mini pan head. Not looking to judge inches right? You will be good easily to 1.5 miles out and still able to go with the chest pack.

Ive been reading all the mule deer killa books (robby denning, easton, schuh, long, etc) lately. They are all stroking a 7/8/10x 42 on the chest and a spotter. Seems like a 8/10x42 and a spotter is the magic recipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I have #2 and really like it for versatility. I will add 15s in big country when I know I will be glassing all day long. But 10 slc and a good 65 spotter is a solid combo.

ColoradoV

WKR
I carry a zeiss 85mm, Swaro 15x56, and lecia ultras 10x42 pretty much every day I am in the high country. On occasion I leave the spotter in the tent if I have targeted my buck w season open but again very rare.

I see it as mandatory weight and don’t mind it.

I'd run your binos and a Kowa 553/554. Lighter than all the high power binos you mentioned and more useable range. At 28oz it's light and since you are only using it to verify frame and size on one you've already spotted, it's a solid choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
sneaky, beat me to it.

I added a 554 to my 10s 3 years ago to get a closer look once I pick up a buck with the binos. Extremely happy with this setup. At 28 oz, even if I don't use it once the entire hunt, it has a permanent place in my pack.

OP
F
So for an update. I went with a whole new setup. Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 binos and a Nikon ED50 spotter with MC2 13 - 40 eyepiece.

The Kowa binos have been biggest surprise in all my gear since i've started. soon as you look through them you know they are Alpha glass. Fairest comparison would be Swaro SLC's.

I may upgrade spotter next year if Kowa comes out with the rumor of the 66M with same glass as the 88M. But for this year I have a great light weight backpacking setup that will be nice when the mileage adds up.