Highly Accurate Powder Scale

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions on a quality and relatively affordable powder scale that can weigh a single powder kernel (1/100th of a grain accuracy)?

Don't really have a set budget. Don't want to spend $800 though.

Thanks!

Evergreen

WKR
Tagging! My RCBS 1000 is driving me crazy. Damn little scale adjusters keep moving on me!

Dos XX

WKR
I just looked at the price of an FX120i. They are $750 now. When I bought mine they were $450.

Are you wanting to just weigh, or are you wanting to trickle onto it? You can weigh on a GemPro or a Grizzly. Trickling takes a scale that will react to a kernel. I don't about the Grizzly, but the GemPro is a PIA to trickle on. You have to trickle, then lift and reset the scale. Doable, but clunky. They also tend to drift a lot.

Edit:
I meant Bald Eagle, not Grizzly. You buy them from Grizzly.

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Nope. If you get really anal with reloading, people start going to .01 grains. Lots of scales read in increments of .02. More important for bench rest and long range than hunting.

dla

WKR
Nope. If you get really anal with reloading, people start going to .01 grains. Lots of scales read in increments of .02. More important for bench rest and long range than hunting.
OK, then I'm pretty sure that a scale claiming .01gr accuracy would be rated +/- .005gr - not sure I've seen that for sale in reloading gear.

Most reloading scales say "0.1gr" are really +/- 0.1gr - which is .2gr accuracy.

FLS

WKR
Consistent neck tension will do more for consistent MV than measuring to the 1/100th grain. My match loads are thrown with an RCBS Chargemaster. Last batch I checked had an ES of 5 over 20 rounds using a Labradar. I use a carbide sizing mandrel and anneal my Lapua cases every other firing to achieve consistent neck tension. Switching to premium brass and the mandrel put my ES in single digits. I have a bunch of friends using the various auto trickler / scale combos. Their loads arent any more consistent over the Chrono than mine. They are much faster though. Not an issue unless your loading 2-300 rounds for a 2 day PRS match.

cmahoney

WKR
Consistent neck tension will do more for consistent MV than measuring to the 1/100th grain. My match loads are thrown with an RCBS Chargemaster. Last batch I checked had an ES of 5 over 20 rounds using a Labradar. I use a carbide sizing mandrel and anneal my Lapua cases every other firing to achieve consistent neck tension. Switching to premium brass and the mandrel put my ES in single digits. I have a bunch of friends using the various auto trickler / scale combos. Their loads arent any more consistent over the Chrono than mine. They are much faster though. Not an issue unless your loading 2-300 rounds for a 2 day PRS match.

I’m using Redding FL sizing dies. What mandrel would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
Take the expande ball out of your sizer and throw it away.
Get a decapping die to deprime.
Get a Sinclair mandrel die and Carbide expander die from Brownells.
Set your shell holder and sizing die set up to set your shoulder back .002. Redding competition shell holder make this task a lot easier.
Expand the neck with the mandrel.
Seat bullet with a micrometer seating die.
This is the most accurate , least time consuming process, I have found .

bradb

WKR
If my fx120i dies, i will buy another the next day.
I won't buy a slow response .1 type again.
Can i shoot the difference, probably not, do you still need to do everything else right to make perfect ammo, of course. But the cheaper scales drive me crazy and the fx120i is a joy

cmahoney

WKR
Set your shell holder and sizing die set up to set your shoulder back .002. Redding competition shell holder make this task a lot easier.

Thanks, I have the micrometer seating dies and de-capping dies. I’ll pick that other stuff up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR

Excellent advice.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
My ES/SD has been much easier to control since switching to a mandrel for neck tension.

mvrk28

WKR
I use a RCBS Chargesmaster with the Area 419 billet powder cup and tray and my SD’s are typically in the 4s with an ES of around 11-14. Of course this data is only as good as my chrono so YMMV.

excaliber

WKR
I use a Gempro 250 for my rifle reloads. I pour powder of my trickler close to my desired total then trickle the rest. Sure you have to lift the pan and pour it into the funnel and reset. It's not that hard to hit TARE and keep going. What I like is that all my powder charges weigh the same time after time. It might not be fast but its super accurate. For the price I think they are a really good value.

I just looked at the price of an FX120i. They are $750 now. When I bought mine they were $450.

Are you wanting to just weigh, or are you wanting to trickle onto it? You can weigh on a GemPro or a Grizzly. Trickling takes a scale that will react to a kernel. I don't about the Grizzly, but the GemPro is a PIA to trickle on. You have to trickle, then lift and reset the scale. Doable, but clunky. They also tend to drift a lot.

Edit:
I meant Bald Eagle, not Grizzly. You buy them from Grizzly.

tdot

WKR

Just to confirm, you're using the Neck turning mandrels, which for the the 30Cal is .306. Which gives you .002 neck tension?

I guess the benefit of that is one mandrel per caliber. Currently I'm using multiple neck sizing bushings, which i have to change for each new brass in each caliber.