HIIT for hunting?

BiG_Sea

FNG
Made some big adjustments to my 4hr/day commute and now have an extra 30-60 min per day of ‘me time’ which finally makes time for working out.
Question: what has your experience been with using high intensity interval training alone for what is a (mostly) low intensity sport?

Edit: HIIT, not HIT
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With HIT alone my recovery was great but longevity was just ok. I think you need to mix in a few runs , or some type of steady state cardio to be well rounded. Thats what im doing this year a mix of both

Made some big adjustments to my 4hr/day commute and now have an extra 30-60 min per day of ‘me time’ which finally makes time for working out.
Question: what has your experience been with using high intensity training alone for what is a (mostly) low intensity sport?

I am a believer. Find something that agrees with you and go for it. CrossFit, pump, p90, kettlebells etc. some are better than others and make sure you don’t tear up your joints or otherwise hurt yourself.

I also thinking you should mix in longer, lower intensity cardio sessions. Backpack PT with a moderate weight, cycling for long distance, inclined treadmill walking.

I do CrossFit 3-5x per week, lift a bit extra here and there and mix in long sessions of lower intensity cardio like a 20 miles bike (~1.5 hours).

When training kids, I feel like I get more total work out of them if I have them do short hard goes with short breaks often. It seems like the human mind can go harder if it knows there's a break coming, but still have the ability to do it often. For instance, if I have my wrestlers go 20 second live goes with 10 second rests for 30 minutes, they're going to work a lot harder than if I said go live for 30 minutes. HIIT might be the most efficient way to train our body and mind, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing we should do. Bodybuilding is the most efficient way to build muscle. Strength training is the most efficient way to gain strength. Long runs make your cardiovascular system more efficient. Long rucks with elevation changes are necessary to build the mentally to do the real thing. We have to do all of it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
Weighed rucking is excellent as is posterior chain free weights....ass to grass squats (with proper form, straight back) being #1 for that followed by deadlift, smith machine leg press, glute bridge, cleans, pull ups and do not forget activate core for these exercises. Swimming is also excellent and a good core exercise program will help a lot.

OP
B

BiG_Sea

FNG
I think I missed an explanatory sentence or two in addition to that extra “i” in HIIT. I’m looking at a high altitude deer hunt in August, but have been struggling with workout time due to my commute and giving my wife a break from being a nearly-single parent. Happy that I’ve reduced the commute, but reality is that I’ll be lucky to get more than 3 hours a week of fitness in. So, HIIT is attractive, curious how others have done with similar time limits.

jmez

WKR
I'm of the opinion that something is better than nothing. I do a lot of HIIT but also mix in longer workouts as well. Mine vary from 6 mins all the way to an hour.

I took a year and did nothing but the CrossFit workouts at my gym. Wanted to see how it worked. Years past I had supplemented those with long distance mountain biking and weighted hikes. I was fine in the mountains that year. Enough so that I spend far less time hiking and biking than I used to.

If you have some time, take one of your hours a week, load a pack and go for a hike as one of your training days.

WKR
My main concern with HIIT is the injury potential. It's also commonly done in a way that just makes it grinding anaerobic work instead of a mix of high intensity anaerobic work with recovery in the aerobic zones. It's not supposed to be this high intensity workload where you just hang on for dear life until you simply die off...

My main concern with HIIT is the injury potential. It's also commonly done in a way that just makes it grinding anaerobic work instead of a mix of high intensity anaerobic work with recovery in the aerobic zones. It's not supposed to be this high intensity workload where you just hang on for dear life until you simply die off...
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it's supposed to be

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR

Agree. That is the reason I do any HIIT workout on a bike as opposed to running.

No, it isn't. If there is no mix of rest:work then it's simply anaerobic work, not HIIT.
The INTERVAL part seems to get lost on most. They don't realize that rest is the most important part of maintaining HIGH INTENSITY during the work portion.

Reactions: 307